Using Google to Search the Forum (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:12
Did you know that you can use Google to search the Access Forum and get a more refined result?

I find that the search facility provided is excellent at searching for single words. However it does not provide the sophistication of tools like Google for searching for exact phrases.

To get this sophistication do this:

Open Googles advanced page:

The first section of this page is shaded blue, and contains the following items:

with all of the words
with the exact phrase
with at least one of the words
without the words

You can add words to varying degrees of sophistication for your search.

This is the important bit!
Just below this blue shaded area there is another section, go to the fifth item down in this section which is:"Domain" also make sure "Only" is selected. In the next text box (to the right of Only) place the domain you want to search in, this case you want to search the Access Forum so place in this box the following:

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums

Now give it a try! Try searching for: "Date Selection" (without the Quotes)

If you search for this with the above Google method, you will get 90 results, If you search this result with the Forum search then you will get over 300 results.

Caveats:
Your search will only return items within the access-programmers site, and only items that are allowed to be indexed by Google.

Cheers Tony...

Attachments

• GoogleAdvancedSearch.JPG
    GoogleAdvancedSearch.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 2,103
Last edited:

Fernando

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:12
I have been lurking this forums a long time ago with google, and i think i have a shortcut. Hopefully this will help someone somehow.

On google's textbox just type:

(search terms) site:http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums

For example, i want to learn how to send a fax in access. The search term will be

send fax site:http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums

For the exact phrase type:

"send fax" site:http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums

This will make easy to find what u r looking for, than using the forums' search function.

I thank all of you who contribute to this page, i have found lots of answers ever since i found it. :)

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 20:12
Brill absolutely brill, I have always been frustrated by the forums seach facility but this is great, thankyou very much. It should be put as a sticky at the start of the forum so that newbies can do useful searches

Brian

kidrobot

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:12
Great way to search anything on the web!! thanks.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 15:12
Here are a few things I learned by doing searches on google:

1) Searching for exact phrases usually works if you know the technical "lingo", AND there are good articles written on the "specific" subject you are wanting to know about.

2) If you are searching this forum using google or anything else, do not expect to find what you're looking for right away, especially if you're just searching on a broad subject (such as opening a form from VBA code). This place has been around for a long time, and I know that many many questions have been answered many many times.

3) If you want to find a good article, or one that at least gives you a hint to your answer, search using good combinations of relevant terms. This means no adjectives, pronouns, etc...

Example: Search MS Excel Open Workbook VBA
Do NOT Search Open Excel Workbook from VBA code

The above two examples may look similar, but believe me they are not. They return similar results, but the time is saved using the first search. Also the second search contains the word "from", which is irrelevant in terms of "key word searches". Also, the word "code" is not specific (e.g. - what kind of code?)

4) Narrow your search down to specificity as much as you possibly can. This means, for example, if you want to search on how to automate data import from Excel into an existing Access table using a button on an Access form, you should perform multiple searches, especially if you are unsure of all the steps involved. In the above example, if I did not know any of the steps I needed to do the import, I would search on the following key phrases, one by one (hoping to extract all the information I need at some point):

*MS Access import (Excel) spreadsheet VBA
*MS Access transferspreadsheet VBA
*MS Access import spreadsheet existing table VBA
*MS Access append Excel spreadsheet VBA

That might not be the greatest example of a search, but hopefully the idea is there. Just throwing in my 2 cents worth on this subject matter. Hope it helps! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

GlobolStaff

Local time
Today, 13:12
grate point. thanks for the share

Last edited by a moderator:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
GlobolStaff reported for spamming (using hidden link)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
quosplagu reported to mods/admin for spam via signature.

Boro

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:12
I have been using this for years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom