vBA .exe file to update record? (1 Viewer)

SawyerTyler

Local time
Today, 16:25
Hi.

I have a table with product expiry date, when the database opens it checks the expiry date, if the license has expired it will notify the user and close down.

When the user purchases a new license, I want the user to run a VBA script that I send by email that updates the record in the table with a new date.

The database is being run as a desktop application and I have no access to it.

Is this possible?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 11:55
Look at similar threads at the bottom of this thread.
Exactly the same title was asked a few weeks back. Strangely enough with the same typing error and spacing?

In actual fact it looks like you have just copied the post? :(

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:55
You can do this with VB script. However, I would not. I would have the application itself ask the user to enter a code you send to them. The code will contain hidden in it, the new expiration date. You can do all of that with Access and not have to create a separate program.

If you actually use VB script, that is a plain text language and anyone can open it up and change the date so you will loose control of the expiration process. To build an .exe, you need to write in VB.Net. Do you have that skill set? If not, take my first suggestion to do it within the app itself.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:55
use a "service' database (.accde) that will update the Expired db.
the process is very simple.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:55
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

I would also suggest prompting the user to enter the new license info from your email and let the program update itself.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:55
Having some external update mechanism just adds unnecessary complexity.

How do you send them FE updates? If your existing app doesn't contain the necessary code to update itself, you will need to send a replacement FE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom