vba loop table to update another (1 Viewer)

Jayce72

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:04
I have a table with a large dataset, with 5 columns which data can change (the first is a unique ID that doesn't change). I am given the same dataset in CSV that I can then import as a linked table which may have changes

What Im trying to do is loop through the existing dataset and update those records where the data has been updated in the CSV.

Also, the CSV may contain new records.

The data is too big to just delete and re-append

Jayce72

Registered User.
Local time
I have a table with a large dataset, with 5 columns which data can change (the first is a unique ID that doesn't change). I am given the same dataset in CSV that I can then import as a linked table which may have changes

What Im trying to do is loop through the existing dataset and update those records where the data has been updated in the CSV.

Also, the CSV may contain new records.

The data is too big to just delete and re-append

If it makes the code easier - I could import the CSV as a table

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:04
It sounds like you have a table and from time to time get a transaction file in csv format.
You want to use the transaction file to update your table. The Transaction file may contain updates to existing records and/or new records to be added to your table.

How often do you get transaction files?
What have you tried so far?

Jayce72

Registered User.
Local time
It sounds like you have a table and from time to time get a transaction file in csv format.
You want to use the transaction file to update your table. The Transaction file may contain updates to existing records and/or new records to be added to your table.

How often do you get transaction files?
What have you tried so far?

It's the UK postcodes list - but it doesn't include an update field as far as Im aware. Haven't tied anything yet.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I think we've discussed UK postcode data before and you may be aware I have a commercial database which uses this data as well as other data.

The datasets are updated every three months by ONS. With over 2.6 million records, it's quicker to replace the dataset than update it. I then modify additional fields that I have added

In any case, I'm not sure which fields would change apart from errors being fixed or postcodes added/deactivated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom