Vertical Scroll bar disappears when in "modal" view (1 Viewer)

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:06
Hi,
I have a form that has several subforms on it and when I open it in a modal view, the vertical scroll bar disappears. It is there if I take it out of modal, but I really want to be able to use the modal feature. I hoping to have the program act as an app that the user doesn't see any of the access screens.

Any help would be appreciated.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. I haven't seen this happen before. Can you post a sample db showing the problem.

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
Hello, you might remember me when you see the program. I am redesigning this application the way it should have been done in the first place. I have a friend that is helping me through this, but even he is stuck on this.

When you open the database, it will open to the “Main Menu” and from there, select “Weekly Plans”, “Jennifer” should be the default user. Next click “Edit challenges for this week” and the challenges will be listed, but no scroll bar. Each day of the week is a separate subform. When I turn off the Modal and Popup, the scroll bar appears. Not sure why this is happening and was hoping someone could help me figure this out.

Attachments

• FettlerHealthDBReImagined - Copy.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 390

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:06
suspect it is the size of the form. In popup/modal it can use the whole monitor area. otherwise it is limited to the access window. You have auto resize set to yes - change it to no and see what happens. Alternatively when in modal mode, resize the form (reduce height) or add enough records to trigger the need to scroll

The vertical scrollbar will only appear if there are records to scroll

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. I haven't seen this happen before. Can you post a sample db showing the problem.
Hello, you might remember me when you see the program. I posted this a while back and didn't hear back from you, so I sent it again in a direct reply.

I am redesigning this application the way it should have been done in the first place. I have a friend that is helping me through this, but even he is stuck on this.

When you open the database, it will open to the “Main Menu” and from there, select “Weekly Plans”, “Jennifer” should be the default user. Next click “Edit challenges for this week” and the challenges will be listed, but no scroll bar. Each day of the week is a separate subform. When I turn off the Modal and Popup, the scroll bar appears. Not sure why this is happening and was hoping someone could help me figure this out.

Attachments

2.9 MB · Views: 478

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hello, you might remember me when you see the program. I posted this a while back and didn't hear back from you, so I sent it again in a direct reply.

I am redesigning this application the way it should have been done in the first place. I have a friend that is helping me through this, but even he is stuck on this.

I followed your instructions and there is a scrollbar on my screen

1603221509117.png

Are you sure it isn't just slightly off the right side of your screen? Try reducing the form width slightly or change the screen resolution

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
I followed your instructions and there is a scrollbar on my screen

View attachment 85923

Are you sure it isn't just slightly off the right side of your screen? Try reducing the form width slightly or change the screen resolution
It's not off to the side at all, the form centers when opened. I tried reducing the form width and still no scroll bar. I did change the resolution and the scroll bar appeared. How can I fix that problem? I am sure that many screens will be at this resolution (1920 X 1080).

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Did you reduce or increase the resolution?

Just out of interest what happens if you maximise the form?
Of course if its maximised, end users cannot click outside the form anyway so it no longer needs to be modal.

I tested on a laptop with a lower resolution (1366*768). As I can't replicate the issue, its difficult to suggest a solution.
I can test on my desktop (1920*1080) later and will let you know if that makes a difference.

Also, are you in tablet mode on that machine? If so, as a test, try switching off tablet mode

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It's not off to the side at all, the form centers when opened.
don't suppose you tried the suggestion in post #4

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Agree with CJL's comments in post #4

Anyway, I just retested on 2 monitors - 1680*1050 and then 1920*1080 (same as yours)
In each case no scroll bar but that was because all records were displayed on screen.
Retested by lowering the resolution slightly. Scroll bar appeared because at least one record wasn't visible on screen.

In other words, expected behaviour

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for all the input. I found that the subforms were not big enough to show all the records, hence the scroll bars weren't showing. The scroll bars appear now, but my problem now is that the form is not big enough to show all the data and the footer.

Is there a way I can make the Detail section smaller so I can just scroll through the records and still see my buttons in the footer? My hope is to be able to see the header and footer on the screen when in popup and modal view. I attached an updated version of the program.

Attachments

2.9 MB · Views: 317

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
sounds like your form is not sized for the monitor/resolution.

I see your detail section contains a subforms, so making these smaller and reducing the detail section should help

the detail section is simply the height of the form window less the heights of the header and footer, so the only way to resize the detail section is to either resize the window or the header/footer.

try putting this in the form resize event
Code:
Section(0).Height = InsideHeight - Section(1).Height - Section(2).Height
'repeat for other subforms
subfMonday.Height = Section(0).Height - subfMonday.Top

and in design view reset the subform and detail section heights to say 10cm

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
I tried the code and it didn't work. I did repeat for all the other subforms. The height of the detailed section will not change. The subforms need to be this height or all the actions won't appear. I somehow need to shrink the detailed section while keeping the subforms in the detailed section all the same height and use the scroll bar to view all the records in the subforms. HELP!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Is there a way I can make the Detail section smaller so I can just scroll through the records and still see my buttons in the footer? My hope is to be able to see the header and footer on the screen when in popup and modal view. I attached an updated version of the program.

Yes, that should be possible but one problem you will face is that what works to show both scrollbar & footer on one monitor/resolution may not fit perfectly on another.
This MAY be an ideal candidate for automatic form resizing. See my extended article on this topic at

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm going to drop out - I don't think you followed my instructions or I don't understand the requirement

good luck with your project

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
I do appreciate all the feedback on this topic. I found a simple fix. I set the resize value on the form to "No". When the form popped up, I resized it to the dimensions I needed and when I closed it and reopened it, the form kept the size. Yeah!

Lkwdmntr

Registered User.
Local time
Wow, so sorry. So many things in my head, not sure how I missed that. I did try that before, must have done something wrong. My bad. Thanks for all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom