View Users Currently Logged In Sample Database (1 Viewer)

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:02
I recently down loaded this sample database and tried to use it using Access 2007. I was not able to get the database to work. It would not allow me to click on the Browse button. I kept getting a debug error, and it highlighted the first line of code behind the button. I manage several databases for a department of 30 plus people and this tool would be extremely useful for me, if it would work in 2007. Here is the link to the sample database: http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=155950 . Does anyone know what needs to be done to get it to work in 2007?

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 20:02
LadyDi,

Sorry this sample db has not been tested in 2007, only have it on my laptop at home. Maybe someone who has the inclination can test it.

David

datAdrenaline

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:02
I just posted the attached utility in the Code forum, but It is not visible yet ... so ... give this a shot ... the app is in A2000 format, however, you can interrogate A2007 files as long as you have the MICROSOFT.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 provider on your system.

Attachments

• WhoIsConnected_AWF.zip
    63.7 KB · Views: 420

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
I have a quick question for you. When I browse for the back end of my database, I get the message that "this action will delete the records in the connected users log". When I click No, it cancels the action. What does this mean? I'm afraid, I don't know anything about the "connected users log". Will deleting the records in this log, lock people out of the database? Will I loose any data in my database's back end? Please excuse my ignorance. I really appreciate your help.

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
After looking into the code a little bit more, I found that the "current users log" referenced in the dialog box is the table in your database not something connected to the back end of my database. I apologize for the confusion. This works perfectly and is exactly what I needed. Thank you very much. Again, I apologize for the confusion.

datAdrenaline

AWF VIP
Local time
NP ... I hope you find the utility useful. If you have any questions regarding it, please feel free to ask.

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
I have been using the database that you have posted here since October 2009. I just got my computer upgraded from a desktop to a laptop. The laptop has the same operating system and the same version of Office that my desktop had. However, when I try to use this database now, I get this error message: "Method 'Connection' of object'_CurrentProject' failed (-2147418113). What does this mean? How can I correct this problem? I really like using this utility, and I don't want to lose it just because I now have a laptop.

datAdrenaline

AWF VIP
Local time
Does the debugger take to you a specific line of code? What version of Access are you using?

---

The error text you have indicated seems to point to an issue with ADO. It may be worth going into VBA and checking the references in order to ensure that the MS ActiveX Data Objects library is referenced (checked). If it is not, then select the library.

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
I don't get the Debugger, I only have the option to click OK. I'm actually getting a different error message now. Now, it tells me "Data source object already initialized. (-2147217838)". I am using Access 2007.

I checked the reference library and Microsoft ActiveX Objects Library 2.1 is selected.

Minddumps

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:02
I don't get the Debugger, I only have the option to click OK.
I also have 2.1 library but my error is different than yours LadyDi. My error says 'Object or provider is not capable of performing requested operation. (3251)' After googleing the error, it looks like any file name longer than 128 characters is what causes the return of 3251 error. I tested that theory with a smaller file location set-up and it worked... that's just silly to have a cap!

Did you figure out how to get the analyzer db to work with your DB? Did you also get the 3251 error? If so were you able to figure out how to raise that character limit?

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
I don't get the 3251 error. I still get the -2147217838 error. When it finally opens, it has red text stating "the function GetMDBLoggedUsers() Failed." I have no idea what that means. This utility used to work on my computer. For some reason, it just quit working, when I got my new computer. However, about the time that this utility stopped working, the utility at the link mentioned in the original post started working (and has worked ever since).

datAdrenaline

AWF VIP
Local time
What are the environments that you are both working in? ... Win7 (64/32 bit) / WinXP?; Access version?

As an FYI ... I just downloaded and successfully ran the utility that is attached to post #3 of this thread. I do have a different version that I use (I can't remember what I changed) and I would be glad to re-attach it to a post if you want to try to get a "fresh" copy.

Also ... Can either of you re-post the exact sample you have, just to ensure all the bits made it to your local machine?

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
I am working in Windows XP / Office 2007. I would really like to try a "fresh" copy. Here is the copy that I have that is not working for me.

Attachments

• WhoIsConnected.zip
    48.4 KB · Views: 171

Minddumps

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:02
I'm also using Win XP/ office 2007. I downloaded the updated file 1.6.1 from utteraccess here http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/Who-s-Logged-Who-s-Con-t1897146.html&p=1897146#entry1897146. Since the 3251 error I received was looking for less than 128 characters filepath, I changed some things to give it that.

I have tested the analyzing through a split file on my server. I entered the BE DB with password in the Who'sConnected form and I could see my windows User name and computer name in the Roster. However the Suspected state continued to say null and even though I am now no longer connected to the DB the "Connected" still shows Yes.

I think it would be more helpful in my situation for the functionality to be able to log users off at the press of a button so I will look into another avenue of a hidden form keeping the users name up, but thank you anyway for providing the file for us in the first place :)

datAdrenaline

AWF VIP
Local time
The v1.6.1 is what I am using (attached it to the post). The 128 character limit is something I can not control.

As far as being able to kick someone (or everyone) out of database, you have to set up some stuff first. The general premise is this ...

- Create a table in the BE that has a structure like this (well call it tblForceOut).
RecordId (Autonumber)
ForceOut (Yes/No)

- Link tblForceOut to the Front End

- Create a form that is bound to tblForceOut (frmKeepAlive is what I call mine). In the form, use the Timer event to look at the value of ForceOut in the table. If the value is True, then quit the application. If False, then let the app keep going.

- Launch frmKeepAlive upon start up in hidden mode, so your users don't see it.

----

When you want to force everyone out, then just open the table and set the ForceOut to True.

You can modify ForceOut to be user specific too, you just need to adjust the concept through out.

Now, there is a feature of v1.6.1 that is called "Passive Shutdown". That option will set a property on the database file that will PREVENT any new people from connecting to the database file specified. This is useful in conjuction with a ForceOut implementation.

Attachments

• WhoIsConnected_161.zip
    65.7 KB · Views: 240

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom