Virtual Reality Headsets - worth the money? (2 Viewers)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:37
That CES is one cool show. I look forward to watching YouTube videos on it each January. Gives a peek into the future.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Great potential applications for med students who can explode the body to see all working parts, then explode out each organ and view in 3D. I am sure that greatly enhances memory and understanding compared to a dull black and white textbook.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just a quick update. Currently aiming for an 800+ calorie burn per day, which equates to about 1.5 hours of cardio. Met this target for the last 3 days in a row.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Here's an article on VR fitness that might be of interest...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I was playing Beat Saber just a few minutes ago to complete my 800 calories for the day. I've heard Pistol Whip is supposed to be good exercise, but a) I think there is motion in it so am concerned about motion sickness, and b) Not sure if you have to move around and my exercise space is tiny.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just did my first week where everyday I did over 800 calories burnt in VR. That is one milestone for me. Another is I did my first 1,000+ calorie burn yesterday, hitting 1,035 calories.. I'm sure I'm going to shift the excess weight at this rate!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've been playing a lot of Synth Riders lately, having bought it late last week. I'm finding it more fun than Beat Saber, but that could be because it is new to me. It is thrown into the mix of all the different cardio stuff I am doing. I plan on getting Audio Trip too, and Pistol Whip which is supposed to give the legs a good workout.

By the way, that's not me wearing a dress.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've managed to lose 7.5lbs in January, thanks to all the VR cardio and a bit of diet management. The 800 calories per day 7 days per week target is still being hit. Haven't missed a day for about 3 weeks now. Hopefully by May I will be skinny as a rake!

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:37
@pbaldy Ever get your golf club attachment?
Last week I finally set mine up. They finally have a preset for the Yezro attachment. When I first got it you were on your own and it was almost impossible to set up. With the preset it was one click and done.

It is a game changer. I've played over 20 rounds of 18 so far and love it. Really helps with the immersion. Used a lot of muscles I hadn't used in a while.

Had fun watching the genesis open last weekend on TV. I knew every sand trap and tree on the real course.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:37
I did get it and set it up. It was very frustrating; in real life I normally hit a draw, in the game I kept hitting big monstrous slices. One of the holes that comes with the game had water down the right side, and I struggled to keep it out of the water. I felt like Costner in Tin Cup; hit in the water, drop a ball, hit in the water, rinse and repeat. :p

I'm sure there are settings I could have tweaked but I found that I wasn't chomping at the bit to pop on the headset and play golf/ping pong/whatever. Since I was within the return periods for everything (headset, golf attachment, games) I returned them all.

If you find yourself out west though, let's play! It warmed up enough last week for me to get in a round, and I may sneak out for 9 this afternoon. I can't get us on Riviera though. ;)

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I spent 1/2 hour in the swing analyzer and got rid of the slice. Yes there are settings to tweak the club face and such. Hitting them pretty straight, just need to work on distances.

I haven't played real golf in a number of years since a shoulder injury. Just didn't have the range of motion to swing very well. Since using the attachment I can't believe the improvement in ROM and pretty much have my old swing back. Gonna dust off the clubs for this summer.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've managed to lose one stone so far since the beginning of the year. That's 14lbs for you Americans. I'm cutting back from my target of 800 calories per day now, which took 90 to 100 minutes per day in VR. Instead, I'm going for just an hour, regardless of the calories burned. Should be a lot easier.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I had a little tiff with Meta over my elite strap with battery.

I came across an article which mentioned that a number of the straps that shipped early on had some software glitch which kept it from charging fully at times. Since I had experienced that I contacted support and they agreed that it should be replaced. This was in mid-February.
The agent told me they would ship it and I could return the old one in the same packaging. They emailed me the labels and instructions which indicated that I had to return the old one first and then they would ship the replacement. Contacting support again they said the first agent was wrong and that I did have to return the old one first. They gave me a $30 store credit for my my troubles.

At first I wasn't going to return it because I didn't want to have to use the crappy strap it originally came with and it really wasn't a big issue.
Subsequently they sent an email to everyone who bought early ( I was a pre-order) and they would voluntarily replace them all.

Meanwhile, I bought a kiwi strap with battery and got carried away and bought the charging stand also.

kiwi.png

So I sent the old elite strap back and received an email it was processed and a replacement was on its way . The delivery date was like March 5th. When that date came and went without a delivery I contacted support several times and the response was "Since you have an open support ticket we'll refer it to them."

The icing on the cake was when when I got an email stating that since there was no activity on my support ticket they would mark it as resolved unless I responded within 5 days. This was around April 5th.

I responded alright. I didn't hold back and was certainly not polite about it. The following day I received an apology email with a new tracking number and delivery date. It was delivered 3 days later. I also received another email where they gave me another store credit of $50 for my troubles. So the total credit was $80.

I have to admit I like the Kiwi Strap much more than the Meta version. It's more padded and I've played about 6 hours without running out of juice. The charging stand connects automatically when you put the headset on it so it's really convenient.

Bottom line I got a better strap, a cool charging stand, $80 store credit, and a brand new in the box Meta elite strap with battery I can sell .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom