Vote by Mail is NOT a secret ballot (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 15:54
Another major difference.

We have a central registry for all persons living in denmark andd thus we know who is allowed to vote.

Basically it means we have a unique id for each person that follows you from birth to grave and beyond.

Many reasearchers, especially of the medical kind, loves to dig into the different registers we have because they alle reference this id.
Thanks for responding. Going a bit deeper; you note, in Denmark that you have: "a central registry for all persons living in Denmark and thus we know who is allowed to vote." (emphasis added). To a degree I am repeating myself, but the Democrats are doing everything possible to obscure who is legally allowed to vote in the US. As some quick examples, proof of US citizenship is not required, Democrats prevent the purging of ineligible people from the voting roles, and in some cases registration/voting occur on the same day, so there is essentially no vetting. Recently this story broke: SC counties ordered to stop rejecting absentee ballots over mismatched signatures (Note: the article is poorly written. Nevertheless I think the headline may correctly summarize that ballots, even if suspect, have to be accepted. This would further undermine the integrity of the voting process.)

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Nevertheless I think the headline may correctly summarize that ballots, even if suspect, have to be accepted. This would further undermine the integrity of the voting process.)
I think the relevant paragraph in the article is
The court order comes a day after the South Carolina Election Commission directed all counties to immediately stop using signature matching procedures for absentee ballots after learning that at least 10 counties had been employing or planning to employ the practice to reject otherwise legitimate ballots.
Having dealt with handwriting analysis a few times over the years, a signature is usually not enough of a sample for an expert to make a valid conclusion. Never mind an untrained layman.
The ruling applies only to voter signature mismatches — when election officials determine a voter’s signature on an absentee ballot does not resemble the signature on file.
Should I be able to arbitrarily reject YOUR vote because I dont think it looks enough like your signature from 20 or more years ago?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:54
As little as I know about signature matching, I know that nobody signs their names exactly the same every time. You look for matching characteristics from one signature to the other - like the shape of a cursive lower-case "L" will have some tell-tale loop features. The shape of the closure of the top loop in a cursive capital "R" will be indicative. The tendency to incompletely scrawl a lower-case "R" at the end of suffix "Jr" might be telling. But no two signature samples from the same person should be identical even taken "live" within 30 seconds of each other. If two signatures appear to be totally identical, they were traced or made from a stamp of some kind. Signature matching at the polling level is surely the wrong answer.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
@moke123: Please note that I recognized that the article was poorly written (a point you left out), as such I recognize what you are trying to say and that there can be a degree of truth in your interpretation. Nevertheless, I reiterate a basic truth, that the Democrats obfuscate the integrity of the voting process whenever they can. This story appears to fall within those bounds recognizing that it is poorly written.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 12:54
I haven't read the article so I have no comment on anything other than this, I agree that someone working at a poll verifying a signature seems a little silly. My signature looks 2000% different every single time I do it, because nobody cares..
With the exception of a title mortgage company

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@moke123 - got to ask because Adam commented on your logo and because I saw something in passing that made me wonder. Is your icon based on an image from the Paw Patrol? I think the fireman dog?

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
No. Its a picture of my dog that my daughter used a snap chat filter thats supposed to make you look like a disney princess. It works on dogs too apparently.

IMG_7940.jpg

Attachments

• mally.jpg
    mally.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 130

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Ah, got it. The "real" pup looks like he could be a fun companion. My wife's allergies preclude my having a pet dog. And you CAN'T take a cat for a walk on a leash. My step-daughter tried that once.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I agree that signature verification is not reliable, especially when done by laymen. But, changing the rules that voters have accepted as working fine for some number of years at the last minute is definitely questionable.

There are better methods such as sending a code separately from the ballot that the voter needs to put on the ballot when he returns it is only one way.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Ah, got it. The "real" pup looks like he could be a fun companion. My wife's allergies preclude my having a pet dog. And you CAN'T take a cat for a walk on a leash. My step-daughter tried that once.
She.

She's a typical Lab.
Any body of water will do.

262212865294336_o.jpg

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Paul, you have some rare cats there. When step-daughter Pam tried to walk "Evinrude" (named after the running motor sounds he made when purring), he dug in with haunches planted and the two forelegs stiff, sort of like the Chinese temple lions pose. And pretty much that unhappy expression in the picture, too.

He wasn't going ANYWHERE. Wish I had a camera, but his royal rudeness has passed now so we cannot repeat the experiment.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Great picture Paul. Thanks for sharing. One of my neighbors walks her cat but she doesn't use a leash. The cat just trots around the same way a dog would. Sometimes in front, sometimes behind.

I think it is really sad that people have to walk their dogs on a leash or worse, keep them caged in their homes. We never had a dog when I was young although we did have a couple of cats but we always played with the neighborhood dogs who were free-range just as the kids were. Show up for meals, come home when the streetlights came on. Stay within the boundaries of the neighborhood, which in our case included small patches of woods where we played cowboys and Indians (with actual bows and arrows). And, then there was the time when Linda and I captured Tommy and tied him to a tree and left him there. And then there was the time we made mud pies and fed them to George. He was only 4 so it wasn't really fair for us to take advantage of him.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
we always played with the neighborhood dogs

Thats my Malibu. She'll spend all day outside no matter the weather. Lays out in the rain and snow like it was a summer day. Everyone walking their dog brings them by to say hi . She learned when she was little that if she throws her ball in the street, stares at it and barks, that who ever walks by will throw it back to her. She then throws it back out onto the street and 1/2 hour later they're still at it. I often find a pile of bikes on the lawn and a group of kids playing with her. Even the UPS guy slows down and throws her a bone as he passes by. She's a lucky dog.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Your dog is lucky that you live in a community that allows dogs to roam free. The world we live in now doesn't even allow children to roam free. Simply allowing your children to walk home alone from school could prompt a report to child services for endangering a minor from a busy-body neighbor who thinks that children can't be trusted to walk a few blocks between school and home.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
My cat loves going for leash walks as well. You definitely CAN teach a cat to walk on a leash, you just should start early if you want them to enjoy it.

There are some breeds, such as Savannah, that absolutely need exercise and SHOULD be walked.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
My wife won't let me get a cat, and since pets is a "veto"-able category, I have languished without a cat for all my adult life.
So fun to have - and SO maintenance free (at least in my experience).
I think she honestly just has no idea how maintenance- and trouble-free a cat is, or she'd give it a try.

Except, we've toured homes for sale before that "had cats", and whew.......the smell was palpable from the garage! Not sure about that, because when I was little, we had a cat indoors my whole life, and never noticed a smell?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
There are ways to mitigate the smell.

1. If it's a male, make sure it's neutered BEFORE they start spraying. This can help prevent the act from ever starting. Once it does start, there's a chance they may continue after neutering.

2. Have multiple cat boxes, at least 2 for 1 cat, 3 for 2 cats, etc... and clean them at least daily. If you have more than one cat, it's especially important to provide multiple boxes and place them in separate locations.

3. Use high quality absorbing litter. It may cost a bit more, but your nose will thank you.

4. Keep your cat indoors or allow them into a small area outdoors. There are catios out there that work wonders.

I've had cats my whole life and everyone has said they are surprised my house doesn't have any animal smells.

Come to think of it, my dog probably caused more smell than my cat. Especially when it comes to accidents on the carpet and going for walks in the rain.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
There are ways to mitigate the smell.

1. If it's a male, make sure it's neutered BEFORE they start spraying. This can help prevent the act from ever starting. Once it does start, there's a chance they may continue after neutering.

2. Have multiple cat boxes, at least 2 for 1 cat, 3 for 2 cats, etc... and clean them at least daily. If you have more than one cat, it's especially important to provide multiple boxes and place them in separate locations.

3. Use high quality absorbing litter. It may cost a bit more, but your nose will thank you.

4. Keep your cat indoors or allow them into a small area outdoors. There are catios out there that work wonders.

I've had cats my whole life and everyone has said they are surprised my house doesn't have any animal smells.

Come to think of it, my dog probably caused more smell than my cat. Especially when it comes to accidents on the carpet and going for walks in the rain.
Thanks, good advice! I'm keeping it handy for my next Cat Argument - I mean, discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom