We Shall Overcome (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 11:17
Pete Seeger's rendition of "We Shall Overcome" just played on my Pandora feed. (I happen to like folk music). The dream of Martin Luther King: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of our skin, but by the content of that character." has been quashed. The Biden administration has resurrected racism by judging people based on the color of there skin. The dreams of the 60s have now evolved into a nightmare. The "We shall Overcome" movement has now metastasized into becoming the oppressors. Conform or else.

Reminds me of two other 60s hits that seem ever more relevant today.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Given that I skipped college and joined the workforce at a very early age (I was a programmer before I was old enough to vote and before colleges were offering computer science degrees), the 60's isn't real to me. I was there. I listened to the music. My friends went to war but it was like watching the BLM riots today or watching the Afghanis chasing an airplane that was leaving them to be murdered by the Taliban and their wives and female relatives stripped of their basic human rights and brought right back to the 8th century. Horrific events that made me cry at the inhumanity of it all but that didn't touch me. Somehow the people I went to coffee houses with and sang folk songs with went on to wreck the country I love and I don't know how it even happened.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Somehow the people I went to coffee houses with and sang folk songs with went on to wreck the country I love and I don't know how it even happened.
I have fretted over that for years. :mad:
I think the left has adopted the strategy outlined by the The Manchurian Candidate. Basically, those on the left are "joining" the government to "dismantle" the government from within (essentially a Fifth Column). The election of Obama as President was the first wave where he promised to "transform" the US. H. Clinton was supposed to be the "finisher"(???), but Trump got in the way. As a consequence of the left's long-term plan being unceremoniously derailed, the "left" detonated to "tilt" the election (by any means possible) to get Biden elected. (I think that Obama was the actual Manchurian Candidate, Biden is simply and artificial construct that serves as the quickie convenient disposable replacement.)

There is another interesting anecdotal sociological observation between the 60s and now. I was in college in the mid to late 60s. The soldiers, in the 60s, were vilified as "baby killers". It appears that the effort to vilify the soldiers eventually petered-out (failed). Having observed that failure, the left turned their vilification efforts (today), in an unfortunate stroke of genius, towards the police. This regretfully caught the attention of the "mob" and inflamed them. Much of the media, foaming at the mouth, bought into that mantra and refused to discredit the lies being spewed out by the likes of Black Lives Matters (BLM).

The University of Maryland was "late" (in the 60s) to left wing radicalization. But the seeds were there. I was a history major and the History Department was tipping its toes in going left. One of the courses I wanted to take was concerned the Civil War, that course was "dropped". (I was able to get credit by taking an exam given by the former professor.) Another professor, instead of teaching just droned on and on concerning his activism in Civil Rights, so the Teaching Assistants had to do all the instruction.

As for not going left, I had an epiphany when I attended the play: "The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade" at the University. (It was actually cheap going to college in those days and I was able to pay for it all by working at a store similar to today's 7-11.)

@Pat Hartman: The University of Maryland had a mainframe (Univac 1108) available to students, so I was able to experiment with Basic and Fortran. The Computer Science Department was not established till 1973, which was three years after I graduated. So I just missed-out.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 16:17
Why is it that Americans here always moan on about the 'right' or 'left' or blame Obama or Trump or Clinton or people we've never heard of? Why don't you do something positive instead of moaning and blaming others? It seems whatever any politician or president does is wrong.
Just stop moaning and vote for someone who you will agree with.
I know the biggest moaners here won't read this because I'm on ignore, certain people here must spend all day moaning and criticising everyone else and do nothing to rectify the situation because its too easy to moan on and do nothing.
Col

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It has never ceased to amaze me how liberals could so frequently say the "right" things and profess to want to make the world a better place but consistently take actions that contradict what they say they want to achieve. I guess their hypricrocy runs deep.

I came across this yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom