Web app (1 Viewer)

alamfalloww

Local time
Today, 22:55
Hi folks
What is best and easiest way to publish an access database on the Web. Similar to filemaker. Thanks for any help.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:55
you need to be really clear about what you actually mean and what you are trying to do.

there is no such thing as an access database. Access is a rapid application tool for developing client based (i.e. in the windows OS) interfaces with databases and data related files (such as excel, text files). If you are referring to the ACE (previously JET) database that comes with access by default - you can put this on the web if you can find a suitable host. But most would recommend using sql server or mysql - or consider something like azure.

If you mean the client based interface (forms/reports etc) developed in access, the answer is no you can't, since these are developed using vba and not html/javascript/etc. You might find a website somewhere that says they can convert to work on the web, but I doubt the result would be something you would find acceptable because they work in completely different ways.

If you mean you want multiple users to be able to use your app from anywhere then you can use citrix or terminal server. You would then login via remote desktop rather than using a web browser. This also has a number of benefits

1. any machine who's OS supports remote desktop can connect (such as Apple)
2. performance should be good (like having the BE on your local machine)
3. risks of connecting over a wireless network are significantly reduced

There are ways of logging in to terminal server via a browser but I don't know how well they work or how flexible they are - see this link https://www.accuwebhosting.com/blog/how-to-connect-remote-desktop-using-a-web-based-interface/

if you mean you want a web based access equivalent development tool, there are a few out there, but they are not as feature rich as access. See https://opensource.com/alternatives/access. I doubt you will be able to convert an existing access app to one of these. You will need to start from scratch

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:55
Hi. Best and easiest would be subjective. Skills and budget and time constraints come into play. One thing is for sure though, there is no direct conversion from an Access desktop application into a browser/web application. You are more than likely have to start from (almost) scratch.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:55
Even for the versions of Access that supported a web FE, there was no conversion option. A web form was completely different from a standard form and you had to start from scratch if you wanted to "convert" from one to the other, plus the web options never offered an actual programming language (which is why they withered away) and so you could do only rudimentary "programming" using macros.

Citrix or Terminal Services are both excellent ways to share your Access app over the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom