Web Forms with SQL Azure back-end and Access front-end (1 Viewer)

TJ01

Local time
Today, 22:32
We are looking to build a solution that will allow us to capture data from online forms and to sync data both ways, more or less directly, to a database back-end.

The forms have to be web-based, with little or no coding, and the db preferably SQL Server on Azure.

It also has to be able to be white-labelled.

We have looked at a lot of no-code forms tools, like Jotform, but they don't have database connectivity, without using a connectivity tool such as Zapier.

I have setup a small SQL Azure db with ODBC connection through linked tables to Access front-end. Now I just need to tool do develop the forms.

So my question is, does anyone here have experience with this and can point me to the right web forms tool for doing this?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:32
Hi. Have you looked into Power Apps?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:32
not my area of expertise but suspect it really depends on what the web form is actually required to do in terms of syncing, form design, data validation requirements and who the user base is.

If jotform works with zapier, why not just use that?

And here is a list of similar products

TJ01

Local time
Thanks for your reply. The forms are fairly straightforward questionnaires with a bit of branch logic where a certain response may lead to other questions. This is easy enough to do with Jotform and other RAD forms tools.

The issue with JF and others is that you can't dynamically populate a list of options (e.g. a changing list of employees) from a database table.

The Zapier/other tools certainly work to push the form responses to a back-end but we want to be less reliant on 3rd-party tools in packaging our solution.

TJ01

Local time
Hi. Have you looked into Power Apps?
Yes I've used PowerApps and yes they could do the job but I want to be able to package a white-labelled solution and I don't think we can do that with PowerApps.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes I've used PowerApps and yes they could do the job but I want to be able to package a white-labelled solution and I don't think we can do that with PowerApps.
Sorry, what's a "white-labelled solution?"

TJ01

Local time
By "white-label" I mean we want to be able to package it with our branding, or our customer's, i.e. not Microsoft's or anyone else's. Some of these tools, e.g. Jotforms, allow for that but I doubt that MS would! I'll look into it anyway.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
By "white-label" I mean we want to be able to package it with our branding, or our customer's, i.e. not Microsoft's or anyone else's. Some of these tools, e.g. Jotforms, allow for that but I doubt that MS would! I'll look into it anyway.
Okay, thanks for the clarification. Please let us know what you find out. Good luck!

PS. I did a quick search and maybe this could be relevant?

TJ01

Local time
Yes but from what I remember, PA users have to be licensed with MS and I'm sure MS would want to keep it that way too. That suggests that PA apps are designed for use within an enterprise rather than for commercial, non-enterprise.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes but from what I remember, PA users have to be licensed with MS and I'm sure MS would want to keep it that way too. That suggests that PA apps are designed for use within an enterprise rather than for commercial, non-enterprise.
I see. Best of luck with your search. Please let us know what you eventually decide to use.

TJ01

Local time
Will do. Thanks for your input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom