WEBP files (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 11:59
I am trying to copy a bunch of WEBP files off the net and put them in my DB. The distortion is terrible. Using Paint, I have saved them in BMP and JPEG. What is the best way to get better results?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 15:59
Try using PNG format. Similar quality to BMP but file size is about the same as JPG.
As JPG is a lossy format, it rarely gives good results with Access

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Try using PNG format. Similar quality to BMP but file size is about the same as JPG.
As JPG is a lossy format, it rarely gives good results with Access
Thanks for answering. However DB will not display PNG file, or JPEG. The only thing that it will display is a BMP. The field I am using is a OLE, if that makes a difference.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Sorry but I haven't used an OLE field for at least 15 years. You could try using an image control instead based on the image path

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Sorry but I haven't used an OLE field for at least 15 years. You could try using an image control instead based on the image path
correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that using a image path the images will be on my hard drive. if i ever get this finish I want to compile it and make it executable so I can distribute to non-access people.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Correct. Using an image path means the files remain external to your app.

If that won't work for your situation, you could instead use an attachment field instead of OLE.
This is simple to use and more flexible as it allows any file type to be attached as well as having multiple files for any record.
However, it will cause the size of your app to increase significantly if you have many files to attach.
It is for that reason that many developers including myself avoid using attachment fields.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Correct. Using an image path means the files remain external to your app.

If that won't work for your situation, you could instead use an attachment field instead of OLE.
This is simple to use and more flexible as it allows any file type to be attached as well as having multiple files for any record.
However, it will cause the size of your app to increase significantly if you have many files to attach.
It is for that reason that many developers including myself avoid using attachment fields.
Wow! sounds like the answer. I will google it. I don't think I have ever studied it. I f you have a good link you can send it would be appreciated.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
BMP files should be perfectly sharp. I've never used WEBP files and in fact had never heard of them before this.
As previously mentioned, PNG files should work well and are much smaller than the equivalent BMP file.

However, if you are converting WEBP to BMP or any other format that Access will accept, the image quality will never be better than the original file.
If the WEBP file is low resolution, then the converted file will be also.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
BMP files should be perfectly sharp. I've never used WEBP files and in fact had never heard of them before this.
As previously mentioned, PNG files should work well and are much smaller than the equivalent BMP file.

However, if you are converting WEBP to BMP or any other format that Access will accept, the image quality will never be better than the original file.
If the WEBP file is low resolution, then the converted file will be also.
Thanks for answering. Access ole will not accept PNG. The file I am getting off of internet are webp which ole will not accept either so i use paint to convert them to bmp which works, but they are a little blurry. I guess I will have to live with it.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I was referring to using these with attachment fields.
OLE fields are 'ancient technology' and I doubt the PNG format existed at the time!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes attachment field would not read PNG either
Sorry but that is incorrect. The screenshot below is from the link I supplied earlier about attachment fields
1595367414711.png

I have used almost all of these formats successfully with Access

Justinc1995

Local time
Today, 20:59
Convertio is good. But AnyWebP.com is better as per my experience. Moreover, with AnyWebP, we can convert images without uploading to their servers resulting in better privacy.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:59
Something to consider is that there are modes of display in an image through Access. You can choose to make it show "original size" (which actually means "original resolution") or you can zoom in or out. If your image is blurry, it may be that your zoom setting is wrong. OR the default setting which is to say "fill the control" when in fact you don't have the right number of pixels to do so based on your screen's resolution vs. your picture source's resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom