What all things can go wrong while observing Entities from a Datasheet? (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:17
Datasheet:
Price (Table)

List of Entities Observed:
  1. Brand
  2. Item
  3. Variety
  4. Quantity
  5. Metrics
  6. Container
  7. Material
Linking Tables:
  1. Brand_Items
  2. Brand_Items_Variety
  3. Quantity_Metrics
  4. Brand_Items_Variety_Quantity_Metrics
  5. Brand_Items_Variety_Quantity_Metrics_Container
  6. Container_Material
This is my first Big Post. Hope you advise. Thanks

Attachments

• Database.accdb
    1.1 MB · Views: 87

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:47
This is an incredibly wide-open question and a "big ask" for most of us. Usually people ask us more narrowly defined questions. You are basically asking us to debug your presentation (whatever it is) without telling us a purpose or a context. We have no way of knowing what can go wrong if we don't know what it means for this to go right.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
This is an incredibly wide-open question and a "big ask" for most of us. Usually people ask us more narrowly defined questions. You are basically asking us to debug your presentation (whatever it is) without telling us a purpose or a context. We have no way of knowing what can go wrong if we don't know what it means for this to go right.
Building a POS system in a perfect way (almost) possible...

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Is the way I have normalized the Database is correct? Need feedback. Thanks for reading - Prabhakaran

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Can someone please evaluate my Normalization. Please

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:47
Can you explain your Business in a bit more detail?

I would imagine if you select a Specific Brand using a Combobox then a 2nd Combobox would only
list the Varieties associated with the Brand Selected?

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Today, 13:47
Can someone please evaluate my Normalization. Please
As others have requested, the only possible way to offer useful feedback is to start with a solid description of the business purpose for the relational database application, along with a complete, comprehensive statement of all of the business rules governing it.

It appears that you have some sort of selling operation. "Items" appear to be the names of products offered for sale. So start there. What is the reason for creating the application and what rules do you have to follow for it?

Normalization doesn't occur in a vacuum. It can't be abstracted out of the context. To give one simple example. You have a table of "Items" and a table of "Brands" and a table of Branded Items. The design there must reflect a business rule--we have to assume--that each of the items in the inventory can be sold by one or more vendors under different brand names. Another possible business rule, of course, would be that products are all from one supplier and of one brand. The type of business you run determines what the rule should be and that in turn determines whether the table design is appropriate.
But that's only an assumption based on what is here. You need to validate that assumption as one part of the explanation for the business purpose and business rules that apply.

By the way, you have used the insufferably annoying Lookup fields in your tables. They are a crutch for newbies, but unfortunate in a good relational database application. Lose them, please, and use only standard Foreign Key fields. Along the same lines, there's some tricky naming going on with many of those fields. I'd recommend a close reading of some good references on naming conventions. Many of these tables have the same two fields: "ID" and "NameVal". That's a recipe for confusion, especially when combined with the pernicious Lookup fields.

That said, of course, naming is a personal choice, and if you don't get lost in it, fine. I would not want to have to work with this naming convention, though.

And finally, one of the things I've learned over the past three decades is that the pursuit of a "perfect" anything is futile. Forget "perfect". Implement the most effective data model for your specific business.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:47
Here's a mini-app I add to all my applications. It manages all my simple lookup lists so I don't have to create dozens of tables, one for each lookup list.

Beyond that, You should have one Item table with all these attributes rather than the cascading style you have chosen. I might change my mind about that if there were other attributes that would otherwise have to be repeated if you took my initial suggestion. For example. If there were multiple additional descriptive attributes for an Item that would remain constant for Brand, Variety, etc. But the cascading m-m design is bizarre.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Exact Requirements:
Just a Billing System...

There are around 856 items in the shop spanning across various categories, branded by many companies, measured on different units and stored on various containers.

As may this seems to be a simple requirement, there are some pitfalls. Especially when you the manage the items on each of the properties...

My first solution was a Simple Excel Spreadsheet linked in an access database Having an Entry form and Report for bills (File Attached)

But I want to do it in the right way: You know... Observing entities among those items and creating tables to manage on the observations thus created the new file.

Please see this Post No: https://www.access-programmers.co.u...entities-from-a-datasheet.324670/post-1843108

Attachments

• Rates.zip
    548 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:47
I created a relationship between a StockTypes Table and a Stock Table

This would be the best method of selecting a Specific Stock Type.

Attachments

• Stock.zip
    47.1 KB · Views: 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom