What do other forums do better than Access World? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:24
I'm not sure about you guys, but I use forums a lot! Each haven has its own peculiarities, as do we over here at Access World. As someone who is trying to make this a great place to be, I would love to solicit the ideas, wisdom and thoughts of those who think other forums do aspects better than we do over here.

So, let me know. And for the sake of this thread, lets leave ads out of it! Anything apart from ads! :LOL:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 20:24
I don't know if you also want to know what AWF does better. If so, then I like the fact that email contains at least a portion of the post. Mr. Excel shows no post content so you have no clue as to what it was about - assuming you've participated in several threads.

What I have noticed lately is that if I open an AWF post from an email and that post contains a linked image and I navigate to that image, there is no way back to the thread. The browser back button is greyed out, and alt+left arrow doesn't work either. I have to go back to the email to get at the thread again. I don't think any other forum I get emails from does that so I doubt it's a browser thing.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It could be that the image maybe be in an iframe, so you avoid potential copyright violation, since the iframe is not copying the image, just framing it from another site. So, if you click it, you get that image url, rather than AWF. Just a guess.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
just framing it from another site.
You mean if the OP posts an image of their form or whatever (and it's a thumbnail) that image is hosted elsewhere? Even so, you'd think that you'd be able to navigate back. I would expect this behaviour if the link opened a new tab because that tab would have no browsing history to go back to. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it and maybe others are not seeing this behaviour but could weigh in.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
No, I mean that if someone posts an image from another site, it might end up as an iframe. I think it might depend on if they use the toolbar to insert the image. Not tried it though, just remember reading about iframes used with Xenforo.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
If you (or anyone following) is interested in testing, you could always subscribe to a thread that has such an image. Sooner or later someone will likely contribute to that and you'll get an email. Then open the thread from the email, click on the thumbnail image that was already there and see if it happens to you.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 16:24
Some other forums have a 'return to top' button on thread. Also able to resize reply editor window.

A plus with AWF is don't have to go to an advanced editor window for tools like table builder.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There is a return to top of thread here too. It just appears if you scroll up slightly first. Have you seen that?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 16:24
Now that you mention it, yes. I was expecting to see a button that said "Top" on post as other forums. But I can work with this. Thanks.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It was missing from the theme when we first switched over, but I added it in because some users wanted it.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
In a word, if we are restricting this to Access, nothing.

I am a member of about 3 other forums (Bytes, UtterAccess and AccessForums) and although there are members there that are as knowledgeable as those on AWF (hell, a lot of members on AWF have profiles there too!), there is just something lacking.

At on time, I even made a sincere attempt to stay away from AWF, but found the experience (about a month) was just not the same. I DID find the look of AccessForums more appealing but now that we have changed providers, this place is even better in that regard.

That's what I think anyway!

Elio63

Local time
Today, 01:24
Trovo questo sito eccezionale e molto interessante e navigo volentieri per apprendere tutto quanto possa arricchire la mia conoscenza di Access.

Google translate from Spanish:
I find this site exceptional and very interesting and I gladly browse to learn everything that can enrich my knowledge of Access.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am now wondering if that translation was automated, or added by Elio. Can anyone confirm? I recall someone mentioning auto-translate before.

Elio63

Local time
Today, 01:24
Confermo di aver scritto io, ma ho usato il traduttore automatico perchè non parlo bene la lingua inglese

Google translate from Italian
I confirm that I wrote, but I used the automatic translator because I don't speak English well

Last edited by a moderator:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
In fact i added the Google translation to both messages

Elio
It would be helpful if you could post the English translation yourself in any future posts.
Thanks for the positive comments about the forum.

Last edited:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I like the automated deposits to my paypal account that some site owners have for posting on their site. Hope your thinking of adding that feature. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Tell you what Moke.
When you grace my PayPal account via my website button, I'll match it with an equivalent deposit into your Paypal account on behalf of the forum.
Can't say fairer than that 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom