What do you think of Julian Assange? (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 12:24
On a primal level, I was inclined to root for him, but in a fairly nonsensical way, just like I sometimes find myself secretly and almost subconsciously "rooting" for a prison escapee.
Even in a more values-based thinking way, I feel a bit of sympathy for the fact that he felt compelled to break the law on what could be considered reasonable grounds: it was the only way to expose things that the US was doing that were wrong, and illegal.

Nonetheless, he gained illegal access to computer systems to do this--totally hacking and even contracting with others to do more hacking. He also exposed the identities of people who helped the US and might have their head chopped off because of his recklessness. If I hacked into a department of defense computer today, I'm quite sure I'd be in handcuffs tomorrow, if not sooner.

If the US prosecutes him, there is an argument that it is getting revenge on him for exposing things it would have rather kept hidden, which were wrong.

Yet, obviously, if the US declines to prosecute him, it's like saying it's totally fine for anyone who wants to hack the system to do so as long as they reasonably believe some good may come of it. Which would be...clearly, ridiculous.

Ultimately I think I come down on the side of he definitely needs to be prosecuted. We can't just throw up our hands and invite people to hack into secure systems anytime they feel a moral high ground. Can we?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:24
he felt compelled to break the law
Wasn't he given the documents and just published them? I'm pretty sure that the person who actually committed the crime ( Chelsea Manning - who got his sex change on our dime) got a pardon and Assange got hosed. The Supreme Court ruled regarding the Pentagon papers that publishing the purloined documents was not a crime.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Wasn't he given the documents and just published them? I'm pretty sure that the person who actually committed the crime ( Chelsea Manning - who got his sex change on our dime) got a pardon and Assange got hosed. The Supreme Court ruled regarding the Pentagon papers that publishing the purloined documents was not a crime.
At least the government's argument is that Julian was very heavily involved in the hacking plan.
But I'm sure the way you're putting it will be a feature of his defense, and I'm not saying I have any idea either way what happened.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The Supreme Court ruled regarding the Pentagon papers that publishing the purloined documents was not a crime
I wish the FBI would have remembered that fact when they brutally & illegally raided the offices of the people who legally came into possession of biden's daughter's diary.
Which diary appears to mention that she used to shower with her dad.
Ahh, and they keep wondering what fuels q anon. It never gets old. :LOL:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Ultimately I think I come down on the side of he definitely needs to be prosecuted. We can't just throw up our hands and invite people to hack into secure systems anytime they feel a moral high ground. Can we?
On the abstract intellectual level, you are correct. Yet we are surrounded by case after case where those on the left claim "special circumstances" to assert that laws can be ignored based on the simple premise of "social equity". Why not advocate for this style of approach for the benefit of Assange? Those who are conservative need to occasionally get into the realpolitik "dirt" to fight back.

Another aspect to consider, the left has gone fanatical with persecuting those on the right. Manifestations of this extreme zealousness can be seen in the form of the Mueller Report, the Russian Collusion Hoax, two impeachments of Trump, and now the January 6th Committee (show trial).

So even if Assange can be considered to have actually committed some trivial crime, the fact that the "deep state" controls the judicial process implies that they will be making a "mountain our to a molehill" to crucify Assange.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I think Assange's life is in danger here in the US. The deep state wants him dead so they will make it happen. He really needs to go to prison here proclaiming loudly - "I am not suicidal" the way Jesse Smollet did.

I also don't approve of publishers publishing stolen documents. I merely referenced the Supreme Court decision because they think it is OK. I never found anything in the Constitution to contradict this so I can't argue with it. But there really isn't any other way to get this information out to the public so I guess it has to be done. I do wish publishers would have enough sense to know enough to censor information that is dangerous to national security.

In the examples of Hunter's laptop and the daughter's diary, neither of the people who ended up in possession of the material stole it so there should never be any criminal charges against them. Both tried to give the items to the FBI to investigate but the FBI is corrupted and is owned by the left. Defund the FBI!!!!

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I do wish publishers would have enough sense to know enough to censor information that is dangerous to national security.
The reason it was dangerous to national security, is because it pointed out the corruption within the military-industrial complex. Once you cross that line you are no longer a whistleblower you are a threat to the system. They want to make him the poster boy for anyone thinking of whistleblowing, oops I mean treason.

Jason Lee Hayes

Local time
Today, 19:24
Being an OPTI for over 35 years and a private surveillance operative for 15, gathering intelligence is one thing; publicising it is simply reckless - putting guys and families on the ground in real imminent danger. This is not acceptable at ANY level and Its for this reason he needs to go to prison.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't think the law is specific on that matter. So, you're really OK with the laws not being followed uniformly? Tough choice. The law or vengeance.

I'm not saying I agree with publishing everything that comes your way. I think some things should never see the light of day and publishers should show better judgement. But I do believe that we either need to revoke a law if we don't like it, modify it, or follow it - regardless of what we feel about the publisher and the subject.

You do remember don't you that the person who actually stole the documents - Chelsea Manning - not only got a sex change operation on YOUR dime but she also got a pardon. How can you possibly pardon the person who stole the information and prosecute the publisher? That's what they do in banana republics or in "Democrat world". We'll see how Colbert's staff does with their "insurrection". Will they be held without bail? Will they spend 18 months in jail for the crime of trespassing? I'll bet money that they get a pass because they are leftists.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
We'll see how Colbert's staff does with their "insurrection". Will they be held without bail? Will they spend 18 months in jail for the crime of trespassing? I'll bet money that they get a pass because they are leftists
Although it was a bit delightful to at least know they actually got arrested.
Hopefully the other late night comics have the courage to include it in their routine, it's the best stuff they've ever had

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Today, 14:24
Ithough it was a bit delightful to at least know they actually got arrested.
Hopefully the other late night comics have the courage to include it in their routine, it's the best stuff they've ever had
I hope SNL does a skit, but they're woke.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It is amazing that the Colbert people got arrested at all but thinking about it, I think the DOJ didn't have a choice because the Jan 6th commission was broadcasting their "investigation". And the "crimes" were just too similar. We'll see how long before they get bailed out and since the media won't report on the latest "insurrection", it will disappear into the dustbin of history. You can do anything if you have total power and when the government is in cahoots with the media, your power is infinite:(

RIP US Constitution :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom