What IDE do you use? (1 Viewer)

tmyers

Local time
Today, 10:15
I am curious what people use for their coding (obviously some just use the built in editor in Access/Excel and what not).
I am trying to branch out and learn more coding (been focusing on Python lately), and I seen a bunch of people recommend VS community/Code. It seems there are tons out there however, with some being more specific to a certain language.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:15
I'm not a heavy user, but I use VS Community for C# coding. I'm really just learning the language though, and haven't used anything else so can't offer any comparisons.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 07:15
used VBSEdit a little bit for vbscripting

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:15
I use VSCode for React and JavaScript. My personal view is it is the best out there. Microsoft have done a stellar job of it. It is free, versatile, has a huge range of extensions and it dominates the market for good reason.

tmyers

Local time
I use VSCode for React and JavaScript. My personal view is it is the best out there. Microsoft have done a stellar job of it. It is free, versatile, has a huge range of extensions and it dominates the market for good reason.
On the suggestion of a friend I grabbed Community. I can't quite find the difference between Community and Code other than Community seems to be a much more "complete" and robust applicaton.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Why did you friend recommend the Community edition?

tmyers

Local time
Why did you friend recommend the Community edition?
I believe it is because it is what he uses, so he is familiar with it and could provide help. He is a full stack dev and spends most of his day using it. I personally don't know anything about it as this is my first foray into code outside of VBA.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I always assumed the edition I use is the most popular one. But the good thing about it is you can use either or both and switch any time you like after getting more clued up on which you like and why.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I like VSCode. I used it in my attempts to learn Flutter....

Reactions: Jon

tmyers

Local time
I always assumed the edition I use is the most popular one. But the good thing about it is you can use either or both and switch any time you like after getting more clued up on which you like and why.
I downloaded Code and was playing with it last night. It is a much more straight forward version and feels less "busy". I will probably stick with it over Community, but keep both just in case.

A lot of the guides/tutorials seem to be for Code anyways. It was much harder to track down things for Community. My friend is probably a bit jaded, as he uses both Professional and Enterprise. Its my understanding he bought Professional, and his work place provides Enterprise.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@tmyers I believe you made the right choice. It seems way more popular.

Also google "Top 10 vscode extensions".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom