What is an Overflow error (1 Viewer)

Angelflower

Have a nice day.
Local time
Today, 15:42
Hello,

I am working with a query and i am getting an overflow error. Anyone know what it means and how to get rid of it?

Thanks,:confused:

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:42
Trying to put say a floating point number like Single or Double into an Integer for example. Putting a Long Integer into a Byte maybe. A Blivit! Something big into something too small.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
You get an overflow error if you have any calculated fields that divide by zero. You can also get one if you end up with calculated data that exceeds the datatype that you are displaying.

The most likely scenario is that you have a calculated field that is doing division and have zero (or null) in one or more records of the field you are dividing by. To get around this just do something like this:

sample:
PercentOfTotal:IIf([YourDivisorField] > 0, [YourFieldToDivid]/[YourDivisorField], 0)

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi Bob,
I think you get "Run-Time error '11' - Division by zero" when you divide by zero but I could be wrong. ;)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I seem to remember getting an overflow error when doing division by zero, but it may have been in the code I used when working with Excel data. I just tested in a query and it would appear that it just shows #Error in the query cell when dividing by zero.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
I think it depends on what day of the week Access thinks it is. ;)

AccessNewbie72

Registered User.
Local time
RuralGuy said:
I think it depends on what day of the week Access thinks it is. ;)

I don't know if this is a good sign or not...but I totally get this joke and I think it's hillarious! :eek: :D :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom