WhereCondition linking to criteria (1 Viewer)

Mr_Si

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:34
Hi all,

I'm trying to use VBA to open a form with link criteria to column(5) in a form control but I get invalid function. (referring to "lngzEntrantID.Column" in the link criteria)

Basically, I need to make sure that it doesn't equal either value in 2 variables I have filled up.

My code is as follows:

Code:
strBanksianSelect = "SELECT TOP 1 qryShowEntrantClassPoints2.lngzShowID, " _
                                & "qryShowEntrantClassPoints2.lngzEntrantID, " _
                                & "qryShowEntrantClassPoints2.SumOfNumPoints " _
                                & "FROM qryShowEntrantClassPoints2 " _
                                & "ORDER BY SumOfNumPoints DESC;"

'Instead of a where clause in the SQL Statement.
                strBanksianLinkCriteria = "lngzEntrantID.column(5) <> '" & strBanksianWinner1 & "' AND '" & strBanksianWinner2 & "'"

'replace existing query with the above one
                CurrentDb.QueryDefs("qryShowEntrantClassPoints").SQL = strBanksianSelect

'print sql statement
                MsgBox strBanksianSelect

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmShowEntrantClassPoints", , , strBanksianLinkCriteria, , acDialog
                Me.lngzEntrantID = Form_frmShowEntrantClassPoints.lngzEntrantID

Any ideas?

I initially tried to do it in SQL but couldn't get it to work, so thought I could try it with VBA link criteria when opening the form instead.

Thanks in Advance,
Simon

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:34
I'm not totally clear on what you're doing, but in this line:

strBanksianLinkCriteria = "lngzEntrantID.column(5) <> '" & strBanksianWinner1 & "' AND '" & strBanksianWinner2 & "'"

the reference to the form control is supposed to a field name. If you're saying that column contains a field name, you'd have to concatenate that value in as you did the others.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Oh, and you have to repeat the field name:

FieldName <> 'abc' AND FieldName <> 'def'

Mr_Si

Registered User.
Local time
I'm not totally clear on what you're doing, but in this line:

the reference to the form control is supposed to a field name. If you're saying that column contains a field name, you'd have to concatenate that value in as you did the others.

Hi and thanks for your response. I guess I will have to change the way i do it. lngzEntrantID is a lookup to another query with 6 different fields in.

I have an idea... Can i put, say, an unbound control on the form, make it equal to column(5) and then link the where condition to that instead? Or does it have to link to a proper field?

Oh, and yes about the repeating of the field name. That's no problem.

Thanks

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Are you saying that is the field name? You can do it like this:

strBanksianLinkCriteria = lngzEntrantID.column(5) & " <> '" & strBanksianWinner1...

I guess I'm not understanding what values are where.

Mr_Si

Registered User.
Local time
More likely i didn't explain it well.
So if i remove the quotes in most places it will work? Cool i will give that a go and report back. Thanks

Mr_Si

Registered User.
Local time
That worked! Thank you.
I should have tried without the double quotes before.

However, since my values had dots in them, my final code for the link criteria was:

Code:
strBanksianLinkCriteria = "'" & lngzEntrantID.column(5) & "' <> '" & strBanksianWinner1 & " '" & lngzEntrantID.column(5) & "' <> '" & strBanksianWinner2 & "'"

That way, using the single quotes, I didn't get an invalid use of a . in my statement.

Thanks very much for your help.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Glad you got it sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom