Who does gardening? (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 22:51
I spend some time in the garden growing flowers, vegetables, tomatoes etc.

Does anyone else?

Note:- the weather in the UK now is awful. Freezing nights, biting wind from the arctic, daytime temperatures of only 3c, it should be 12c at least. Spring has not sprung and plants and veg are delayed. I hope it picks up as I am off to my favourite 4 star hotel in London in 2 weeks.

Col

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:51
We grow flowers, herbs and vegetables in our garden at our new home.

We have only had the main section going about a month after a lot of work constructing the beds (and indeed the whole front yard landscape).

We imported some truck loads of lovely red soil from the farm so it is joy to work in. The original soil was mostly hard clay. With all the rain we have had lately working in the original soil would have been a futile effort.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:51
We planted a tree in our backyard a few years ago. Put some fencing around it to keep the dogs away. Then one of our dogs dug under the fence and 'ate' the tree. Figured we would have to wait until we no longer had the dog to attempt a garden. Our family had a large vegetable garden when we were growing up.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 17:51
I want to start growing my own food. I especially want a pepper garden. I just need the space for it first. :D

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
I want to start growing my own food. I especially want a pepper garden. I just need the space for it first. :D

If you are growing the spicey type peppers, one of my coworkers seems to have good success in just window boxes growing some shrivelled up evil peppers which will burn in ways which are close to being supernatural...

Alansidman

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:51
Been gardening for many years. Lots of flowers, vegetables and herbs. Freeze the tomatoes for sauce bases. Dehydrate the herbs and peppers and use in cooking all winter. Mint is important for Derby Day (Kentucky Derby) when Mint Juleps are the drink of the day.

Catalina

Registered User.
Local time
This winter we had a cold spell and some of my bushes in the yard died.
I had to remove them while others needed to be trimmed all the
way to the ground.

My yard is not that big but there is plenty of space for some trees I want
to plant later this year.
I'm thinking some some cypress and a few fruit trees (orange, lemon, grapefruit).

There is nothing like eating fresh fruit right of the tree.

Catalina

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
This year we are cutting down on veg growing. Just six tomato plants, three pepper plants and four chilli plants in the greenhouse.
We are branching out on the flower side though, we like alpine plants, and have bought six or so saxifragia of different colours, we will order several more varieties in a week or two if the weather warms up.

We have an excellent show of daffodils both large and dwarf, they always cheer things up on a cold spring day.

As an aside, I think it is odd that Americans call a garden a "yard", a yard in the UK is a concrete area say for car parking or storage of building materials.

Col

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:51
As an aside, I think it is odd that Americans call a garden a "yard", a yard in the UK is a concrete area say for car parking or storage of building materials.

Aussies too. We have the "front yard" and the "back yard" ... even though they are more than three feet wide.;)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
I would like to but I don't have a convenient spot for one, at the moment. It likely won't be this year, but maybe I'll try something next year. At the old house I used to grow peppers and tomatoes, cilantro and some bush beans/snap peas. After I had kids it was harder to have time to maintain it. They're old enough now that they could help me with it instead of hindering, but my issue is that in the new house, for some reason, we have no water spigot in the back, and no easy way to drag a hose around from the front right now. :rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Not too sure what a spigot is, I'm guessing a water tap.

We have big water butts to catch water then use a watering can to water the flowers and veg.

Cindy, why not grow stuff in pots? We have many pots and troughs, we get a beautiful display in summer. We are also doing runner beans this year but no potatoes.

Planted up some aubrietia today, nearly froze outside, it is so cold, but next Monday the temperature is forecast at 10c or 50F if you are American.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Hey col you southerners are wimps, spent the day in the safari park with the grandkids, lovely brisk day, infact having nice bracing weather at the moment tho yesterday got a bit warm and we had to strip off after 8 miles of our walk.

My garden has gone down hill over the last two years, Hazel was the brains and I the labourer. I have kept the fruit ok , and grew cherry and Baby plum tomatoes in the greenhouse as James (eldest grandson nearly 3) eats these instead of sweets. But the flowers have gone to pot.

Although only a small plot the garden was labour intensive as Hazel liked to potter and hated the sight of soil! Like Col we had lots of pots plus hanging baskets, her garden was always a riot of colour and much admired, I intend to plant more bushes and perennials to make life easier, when I can face being out there.

Brian

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Not too sure what a spigot is, I'm guessing a water tap.

Yup, that's what I meant.

We have big water butts to catch water then use a watering can to water the flowers and veg.

I've thought about doing a rain barrel, but don't have the time or money to hook one in to our guttering at the moment, so that will have to wait. :(

Cindy, why not grow stuff in pots? We have many pots and troughs, we get a beautiful display in summer. We are also doing runner beans this year but no potatoes.

I tried doing some last year but it didn't turn out so well, it's still a pain to get water out there to them. The back is the best place to have them, sun-wise, but the least convenient place for watering. I may try one or two this summer, but we'll see. I haven't totally made up my mind yet. I hate to not do anything, but I'm not sure about dragging water pitchers out to the back either.

SueBeatty

Local time
Last year spent loads on plants, repotted everything to bring the garden up to scratch. Have plenty of animal compost so soil is rich enough and with all the rain anticipated plenty of lush green and colour. Sadly, plants need sun and much of this came to nothing.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Hi guys

Broad beans, pea, french beans, cucumbers
Strawberries, raspberries, goosberrys rhurbarb, blueberries
plus apples,damsons and plums
carrots, beetroot- salads

oh and a few flowers

if you cannot eat it we are not growing it -- only kidding - no we do it so our little one knows where fruit and veg come from

Seems weird - but some kids have no idea

G

Adam101

Registered User.
Local time
I am from New York and my town is have a great green beauty..
I also love to grow greenery in our surrounding..
many season flowers and many beautiful flowers I have in my lawn..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom