Why does this combo box not display the placeholder text? (1 Viewer)

mamradzelvy

Local time
Today, 12:26
Hello,
I got two combo boxes next to each other, one of which is a month selector and the other a year selector.
For some reason i'm unable to display the placeholder text on my month selector.
I have tried various combinations such as @;"Mesic";"Mesic" to make up for the fact that it has two rows and one is hidden.
Any tips?

properties.PNG

PS: Mesic is Czech for month...
PSPS: I know in the picture i'm missing a semicolon, i just took the picture while messing with it, the starting input was @;"Mesic"

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:26
Hi. What happens if you display the first column, just as a test? Is your combo bound to a numeric field?

mamradzelvy

Local time
Hi. What happens if you display the first column, just as a test? Is your combo bound to a numeric field?
yes, the first field are numbers representing the months. upon changing the size of the first column to 2cm from 0cm, nothing has changed.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
yes, the first field are numbers representing the months. upon changing the size of the first column to 2cm from 0cm, nothing has changed.
So, just as a test, what happens if you tried this?

;;;"test"

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 19:26
see the "Note"

mamradzelvy

Local time
so uh, yesterday when i left work i saved my project with two semicolons (which at the time didnt display anything even upon restarting access) and today it displays what i wanted correctly.... access is a mystery.... thank you guys regardless.

mamradzelvy

Local time
so uh, yesterday when i left work i saved my project with two semicolons (which at the time didnt display anything even upon restarting access) and today it displays what i wanted correctly.... access is a mystery.... thank you guys regardless.
oh nevermind, upon switching it back to not display the first column, it once more is bugged...

mamradzelvy

Local time
OK, so i figured since the properties don't allow me to input ;;;"test" and none of the logical syntax works, i would just swap it around so that i would not be bound on column 1 but rather column 2, so i wen't from this row source :
"1";"Leden";"2";"Únor";"3";"Březen";"4";"Duben";"5";"Květen";"6";"Červen";"7";"Červenec";"8";"Srpen";"9";"Září";"10";"Říjen";"11";"Listopad";"12";"Prosinec"
To this one:
"Leden";"1";"Únor";"2";"Březen";"3";"Duben";"4";"Květen";"5";"Červen";"6";"Červenec";"7";"Srpen";"8";"Září";"9";"Říjen";"10";"Listopad";"11";"Prosinec";"12"
and now it works whilst hiding the second column.

mamradzelvy

Local time
OK, so i figured since the properties don't allow me to input ;;;"test" and none of the logical syntax works, i would just swap it around so that i would not be bound on column 1 but rather column 2, so i wen't from this row source :
"1";"Leden";"2";"Únor";"3";"Březen";"4";"Duben";"5";"Květen";"6";"Červen";"7";"Červenec";"8";"Srpen";"9";"Září";"10";"Říjen";"11";"Listopad";"12";"Prosinec"
To this one:
"Leden";"1";"Únor";"2";"Březen";"3";"Duben";"4";"Květen";"5";"Červen";"6";"Červenec";"7";"Srpen";"8";"Září";"9";"Říjen";"10";"Listopad";"11";"Prosinec";"12"
and now it works whilst hiding the second column.
And now it doesn't anymore, i'm so confused.

mamradzelvy

Local time
see the "Note"
The note specifically states that this does not work with combo boxes but rather text boxes.
i tried to enter that in my format property and it changed the text to this : sh"ort "d"ate";;;"<not scheduled>"

mamradzelvy

Local time
So, just as a test, what happens if you tried this?

;;;"test"
it just always starts working whenever i set the bound column to the text one instead of the number one, but that in return breaks my code, rendering the combo box unusable.....

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
it just always starts working whenever i set the bound column to the text one instead of the number one, but that in return breaks my code, rendering the combo box unusable.....
Hi. As a last result, you might resort to overlaying a Textbox on top of your Combobox and use code to manage what the user sees and can do with them. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom