Question Why is the delete option greyed out in MS 2010 navigation pane? (1 Viewer)

JAB

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:54
Two weeks ago I had Office 2010 and Windows 7 installed on my work computer. Before that I had Office 2007 and XP. Before the move to 2010 I could delete objects in the navigation pane, now I cannot.

* I am working in MS 2003 databases.
* These are not secured databases.
* I have checked the Options settings but did not recognize anything that might be contributing to this issue.

I have Googled this subject for the last 2 hours and the closet I could come was somebody had an issue with migrating a 2003 database to 2010, something I am not doing, and it was a secured database. This is pretty critical as obviously not being allowed to delete an object makes for one junky database, and I do not want to become a hoarder.

My thanks in advance to anyone who knows how to resolve this.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:54
Is the navigation pane locked?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:54
"created in an older version - you will not be able to redesign objects"

possibly asked you once, and not again.

try converting to A2010 format.

(although it is an issue if some users still have A2003 - you need to design in the lowest version of Access in use, IMO)

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
I think he would still be able to delete objects though, gemma. He just wouldn't be able to save design changes. I certainly would not recommend using an accdb though. Using an mdb is just easier for everyone, especially the designer, though I'm sure you already know that gemma! Accdb would not be bad if there were no differences between 2010 and 2007, but there are. I wish MS would have given them different extensions.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:54
I thought you get the same message in A2010 with an A2003 mdb

JAB

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the responses. The navigation pane is not locked and migrating to the 2010 format is just not in the cards at this time (besides dealing with the other users, there is a definite lack of time and resources).

When I was upgraded to Windows 7 from XP I assumed Office 2007 would remain since I had just upgraded to it last summer. Turns out our corporate IT policy said Office 2010 is loaded with Windows 7 whether you ask for it or not. I didn't know this and so I was surprised to see it (and somewhat reluctant to have to go through another learning curve).

However when I opened my databases there were no special messages of any kind, and they operate just fine with the exception that objects cannot be deleted. And this is now starting to be a problem because I am in the middle of upgrading one of main databases (in a copy of course), clearing out obsolete functionality and realligning to better confirm to our current business environment.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Try creating a blank db and import all your objects. See if that changes anything. If not then,

1. Can you create a blank db and create, save and modify objects?
2. Can you modify ANY objects in your problem db?
3. Can you create new objects, save them, and then modify them in the problem db?

Just curious, were you using user level security before?

JAB

Registered User.
Local time
I have not tried to create a new DB although, I discovered this issue through the process of copying tables into another DB and then trying to delete the table that was already there. Also, I can create and modify objects in all of the DBs.

Now I made a new discovery last Friday and that is I can delete objects in one of my more simple DBs. This one just has a couple of tables and a few queries which I use to analyze and summarize a large data dump from SAP. The one difference I have found is under Options/Current Database/Navigation Options, in the problem DBs there are no categories available and the Add Item button is disabled. Yet in the functioning DB the categories Tables and Related Views, Object Type, and Custom are listed and the Add Item button is enabled.

Finally, I have not been using any user level security.

Thanks again,
John

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 02:54
Are the db's on C-drive?If yes move them to some other drive and see if that helps

JAB

Registered User.
Local time
Been there done that. It doesn't act any differently from one drive to another. Plus all of the drives have been designated as trusted sites.

Thanks,
John

JAB

Registered User.
Local time
I have also tried saving an .mdb file as .accdb but the new database would inherit whatever setting was not allowing me to delete objects.

So in the end I have moved everything to .accdb files by importing the objects into new blank databases. I thought there might be conversion problems but it turned out to be a non-issue. And it turns out everyone who needs to view these files is already in 2007 or 2010 so might as well get with the times and make everything current.

Thanks to everyone who offered to help.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom