Why unable access combo box which was entered with own list of values? (1 Viewer)

captgnvr

EAGER LEARNER
Local time
Today, 09:28
D/Sirs

I made a table with known and unknown names.

To identify sales to unknown, I put a category field in products table with three categories 'staff' 'agents' and 'owners'.

When I created the field I used the look up field and used the row source as 'value list' and entered in row source as staff;agents;owners. The field shows fine with three category in the drop down but unable to select. FYI the sub-form where I put this field 'cat' is editions-allowed and the field also not locked.

Can you pls tell me why I am unable to select one from the drop down box. What could be wrong?? ( hope the forum not closed on Sunday as only today I seem to a bit more free time :p)

brgds/captgnvr

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 04:58
Do not use lookup fields on th field it self in table design, a good idea at the time but ovr time users have shyd away from it. There are plenty of discussions on this forum about this topic.

captgnvr

EAGER LEARNER
Local time
D/David

I remember this caution on one of my earlier post. Then over a period of time when I got to read on orders entry, northwind etc. these look up fields are put in the table itself.

Anyhow, henceforth will strictly adhere to your advice and refrain from it altogether.

D/vnaInet

Thanks for the link and was stunned to read up about the evils of look up fields in the table. Thank you.
======

After getting your both help, removed the look up field but in the form maintained it as a combo box and it does work fine but unable to select the products as get message due to one-to-many relationship which I will try and eliminate. Wanted to quickly ack your help and hence this reply after a quick trying based on ur advice.

captgnvr

EAGER LEARNER
Local time
UPDATE ON THE ABOVE GUIDANCE:
=========================

In products table inserted 'cat' field as text.

In sales-subform, I have converted this 'cat' field to combo box.

In sales-query I have joined the products table and sales-detail table.

Tried and found to be working satis for existing sales record.

But found to my dismay that when I click new record and after entering the person and getting focus to the subform get the following message:

"the current field must match the join key '?' in the table that serves as the 'one' side of the one-to-many relationship. Enter record in the 'one' sdie tbale with the desired key value, and then make the entry with the designed join key in the 'many-only' table."

Sitting and wondering how to figure this out?

Pls guide.

captgnvr

EAGER LEARNER
Local time
D/Sirs

Dont ask me how I did it. But now it seems to be working when I deleted the 'cat' field from products table and inserted in the sales-details tables.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:58
D/Sirs

Dont ask me how I did it. But now it seems to be working when I deleted the 'cat' field from products table and inserted in the sales-details tables.
You must have the magic touch;)

Glad you got that working

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom