Why we all need subtitles (1 Viewer)

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:58
After so many years that I believed I have some difficulties in hearing, I decided to do some research.
And after all, it was a relief to recognize : No sir, I don't have any problem with my ears.
The first option is expensive. The second option is impossible for me. So, only the third option is left.
I just need to turn the subtitles on.

Last edited:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:58
Sub-titles are nice, especially when the actors are not talking very loud or there are other noises on the recording that interfere with the voices. Unfortunately my wife is a slow reader and most times cannot keep up with reading sub-titles.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:58
Then, of course, there is the problem of people speaking their dialog in dialect. Subtitles are never written in dialect. Take, for example, one of my favorite "guilty pleasure" shows, Swamp People. They speak English but with a Cajun accent - so they have a lot... a LOT... of subtitles. The funniest part is that since I married a Cajun woman, I find that I don't need the subtitles. But then, when I listen to British imports, particularly with some of the rural accents, it is DEFINITELY subtitle time.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 11:58
Unfortunately my wife is a slow reader and most times cannot keep up with reading sub-titles.
My father and wife are the same way. I can quickly scan what is written and capture the gist of what is said. However, the important details sometimes get missed. With them, it may take them longer to read it, but they can repeat it in better detail - I guess both "talents" have their uses...

KitaYama

Local time
My father and wife are the same way. I can quickly scan what is written and capture the gist of what is said. However, the important details sometimes get missed. With them, it may take them longer to read it, but they can repeat it in better detail - I guess both "talents" have their uses...
I didn't know even American have subtitles.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I have captioning and/or subtitling turned on ALL the time except sometimes not when watching regular live TV, which is very rarely.
There is actually quite a difference between captions and subtitles. However, that difference doesn't matter to me, I just turn on whichever is available. I'm surprised at how often the captioning actually is 100% complete, including what you might call dialect and also including various slang, etc. I think there is a fair amount of automation in producing it, although not all of it is automated. In fact there are companies that pay people to transcribe for subtitling purposes.

My main reason is the same as yours @KitaYama - it simply allows me to not need the volume so loud. This benefits everyone around me.

The next thing I want to buy for my TV is a better quality Roku box, or something that broadcasts audio directly to bluetooth.
That would be the ultimate option, so nobody else has to hear the sound. But heretofore I have been a very simple TV person. The only TV in our house is one 38 inch Viore from years ago with a Roku box. Never had a need for much else.

I have seen people with a TV in every room in their house, even someone had a tv in the bathroom. Very interesting!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We've got 3 TVs in the house - master bedroom, small den, and entertainment room.

My dear wife has a hearing deficit so I have to turn up the volume a bit AND I have to turn on closed-captioning. But my big-screen does a pretty good job with sound levels even without the surround-sound enabled.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
The next thing I want to buy for my TV is a better quality Roku box, or something that broadcasts audio directly to bluetooth.
My Roku has a headphone jack in the controller, and I can use the Roku app on my phone to play the audio to my Bluetooth headphones.

Then, of course, there is the problem of people speaking their dialog in dialect.
I play virtual golf on my Oculus with people from all over the world. The only time I couldn't understand someone was when I was playing with 2 guys from Ireland. They were speaking english but their accent was so thick I couldn't understand a word.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
My Roku has a headphone jack in the controller, and I can use the Roku app on my phone to play the audio to my Bluetooth headphones
I have the Roku app wonder if I need to investigate that a bit more before assuming I need a better Model of roku.
I think I have like the mid-level roku but not the most expensive one

KitaYama

Local time
I have seen people with a TV in every room in their house, even someone had a tv in the bathroom. Very interesting!
I think you're talking about me.

It all goes back to culture. Here, almost everybody, fills the bathtub with hot water every night. For us, shower is not enough. So the average time we spend in bathroom is much longer than most other countries. There comes the TVs in bath. Having a TV in bathroom is not a rare thing anymore. Or even we don't have one, we have our smart phones.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Baths can be very relaxing. Unfortunately I have a bad memory embedded in me from childhood, we were poor and water consumption was closely watched. Saturday night was Bath Night. We used approximately 2 tubs of water for 5 children. I was youngest so usually did NOT go first. It was not the most fun experience but on the other hand my childhood gave me the most valuable things (in my heart) and they are priceless!

I know, I think I am a rare one for having <2 TVs. What I'd actually like to do is learn to look at my phone less, I am too addicted to the screen.

Have you ever found yourself to such an extreme that simply out of habit you look at the screen - anything, even scrolling down your list of Apps - for no reason and with no purpose? I have done that and it tells me I need a change! o_O

@KitaYama do you mind me asking where you live? I live in Arizona United States. (Phoenix)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I must confess to also turning on closed captions. Amazon prime is absolutely the worst sound EVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER. I can't hear anything they broadcast. It is total mud. It isn't a matter of volume. I find the volume at 80 and I think, what the hell am I thinking and shut down whatever I'm watching because I can't hear it. Most standard TV is also OK. Movies are where the sound starts to break down for me. They whisper and they shout and they never enunciate. It's like they've all got marbles in their mouths. I have NO problem hearing news programs at normal volume so my hearing can't be that bad. The captions are on for the guests who have marbles in their mouths. Normal conversation (except with my grandchildren) is also usually OK. I can't hear anyone in a bar so I stopped going to them years ago. I also avoid noisy restaurants. Who wants to go to a restaurant where the sound and kitchen clatter echos - DELIBERATELY? I have told more than one manager I was never coming back for that reason.

KitaYama

Local time
@KitaYama do you mind me asking where you live? I live in Arizona United States. (Phoenix)
Why not. Nothing to hide.
I'm in Japan, Kanagawa Prefecture, Yokohama city.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Hubby and I lihe to use our headphones when watching TV. They catch all of the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom