Windows 10 and Email - a rant (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:14
Since my most recent Windows update, it seems that I cannot click a reply hyperlink in my Outlook-based e-mail, but I've done the things that would stop Outlook from blocking it. I have searched online and the situation has cropped up again after a previous round of the problem. It seems that the typical Microsoft Answer is "change your default browser to Edge." I'm surprised that Mozilla.ORG doesn't SUE THE PANTS off of Microsoft for anticompetitive behavior. And I absolutely HATE Edge. I don't like its layout. It doesn't seem that great an improvement over IE from the front. Just a slightly snazzier layout but still too much like typical Windows explorer products. I don't expect much of an answer but I'm just miffed and blowing off steam.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:14
Doc, do you not use Google Chrome?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Firefox. Among the most recent evals I have seen, they have the highest security. But I have checked the settings and have made Amex a trusted site. No joy.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:14
Firefox. Among the most recent evals I have seen, they have the highest security.

Firefox is virtually irrelevant, only having about 4% of the browser market. Most developers don't even bother to test their websites on it.

There have been dozens of security vulnerabilities in version after version of Firefox.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:14
Firefox is virtually irrelevant, only having about 4% of the browser market. Most developers don't even bother to test their websites on it.

There have been dozens of security vulnerabilities in version after version of Firefox.
What do you recommend?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Chrome for me all the way. It's just too convenient and integrated with all else Google, to pass up. For me.
Random thought,,,, While it is still all-too-common for corporate intra-company web-apps of all kinds to be geared toward I.E., the company I work for now (large one) has begun developing geared toward Edge, and now "recommends" employees use Edge. Too bad they didn't go Chrome.
I've worked at other places (government agencies), that were slowly but surely going entirely "Google"....Chat, storage, cloud/app servers, email, docs, drive. In those places Chrome was becoming the recommended. Have to admit, whatever you think about Google, they're pretty good at making the most out of numerous products that work exceptionally well with each other.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
For what it is worth, I found that one of my other computers at home had what I needed to apply the simple registry fix that allows me to follow links in mail. But this rant STILL relates to the fact that MS apparently REMOVED the key that was in my system for a reason. I have the key exported to a thumb drive because this is the SECOND TIME that this kind of foolishness has happened.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 17:14
Chrome for me all the way. It's just too convenient and integrated with all else Google, to pass up. For me.
Random thought,,,, While it is still all-too-common for corporate intra-company web-apps of all kinds to be geared toward I.E., the company I work for now (large one) has begun developing geared toward Edge, and now "recommends" employees use Edge. Too bad they didn't go Chrome.
I've worked at other places (government agencies), that were slowly but surely going entirely "Google"....Chat, storage, cloud/app servers, email, docs, drive. In those places Chrome was becoming the recommended. Have to admit, whatever you think about Google, they're pretty good at making the most out of numerous products that work exceptionally well with each other.
Edge is based on Chromium though?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Edge is based on Chromium though?
Interesting! Thanks for the link. I never knew that.
A lot of Chrome's appeal (for me), is its complete integration with all things Google, too. Regardless, I guess for me once I deemed Chrome my favorite, it's doubtful I'll try another one again. I used to be a browser-hopper, but am pretty entrenched at this point I guess. I've surrendered to the gods of google :)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
For what it is worth, I found that one of my other computers at home had what I needed to apply the simple registry fix that allows me to follow links in mail. But this rant STILL relates to the fact that MS apparently REMOVED the key that was in my system for a reason. I have the key exported to a thumb drive because this is the SECOND TIME that this kind of foolishness has happened.
Wow, that's great that you got it fixed, but simultaneously disturbing that you discovered missing keys and wasn't an easy or immediate fix before.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Actually, it happened once before when another one of those "special" Windows patches came out. "Special" as in "ignites the internet with massive and copious complaints" type of "special." Same fix as last time, It caught me by surprise both times. However, the first time was when I had to upgrade from Win7 to Win10 and that involved massive registry changes so I was SLIGHTLY less miffed.

But this time, I was REALLY miffed because I had applied the fix once before and KNEW that it represented changed behavior after a patch. It HAD to be that the Win10 2004 patch erased a couple of registry keys. I've been burned twice, but now I have the fix where MS can't erase it.

FYI, the patch involves the registry key that relates to what command / utility gets run when clicking anything active in e-mail. Points to your default web browser. The patch just adds two values, a name and a parameter. And it was necessary because the two values had vanished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom