Windows 11 (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:45
Nice refresh of interface and ability to run Android apps!

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 07:45
Now that Windows 11 has been official released, the "fine print" is being disclosed.
Windows 11 is arriving later this year as a free upgrade for Windows 10 users, but many are discovering that their hardware isn’t compatible. Microsoft has altered its minimum hardware requirements, and it’s the CPU changes that are most surprising here. Windows 11 will only officially support 8th Gen and newer Intel Core processors, alongside Apollo Lake and newer Pentium and Celeron processors.

Since, I predominantly use Linux, I don't know how serious Microsoft is about the hardware requirements.
Microsoft notes that CPU generation requirements are a “soft floor” limit for the Windows 11 installer. That should allow some older CPUs to be able to install Windows 11 with a warning, but it’s not clear how these devices will be supported long term. We’ve reached out to Microsoft to clarify its CPU requirements and support, and we’ll update you accordingly.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:45
Computers older than 5-6 years could have an issue but computers more than 5-6 years will have issues anyway. Same with phones. The older the device the more frozen in time it becomes. Apps are developed every day to take advantage of new hardware technology.

My 3-year-old HP laptop came with a Ryzen 4 cores processor running at 2 gigahertz and 12 GB of ram.

1624632069609.png

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I have a 2 laptops that I use quite a bit. Windows 7 and Windows 8. I am so content being stuck in the past...it's great.
The rest of my family uses Windows 10 (unleashed) and they are happy too. Something for everyone.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
My laptop cannot even install the Health Check program :)

1624634714380.png

1624634804006.png

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I have a 2 laptops that I use quite a bit. Windows 7 and Windows 8. I am so content being stuck in the past...it's great.
The rest of my family uses Windows 10 (unleashed) and they are happy too. Something for everyone.
Do you surf the interwebs with your older operating systems?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Do you surf the interwebs with your older operating systems?
Oh, yeah. The web (using Chrome), RDP (for client side work), and development (in Office 2010, which I also usually push my clients to use on their machines too - esp. those who want to use traditional Shared Workbooks).....is about all I do. I never game or stream, preferring to use the TV for any streaming.

One machine I am using a lot now (Win 8) only has 2 GB RAM, many would consider this garbage. It works fine for me..

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 07:45
The "fine print" is getting ever more ominous.
Microsoft announced yesterday that Windows 11 will require TPM (Trusted Platform Module) chips on existing and new devices. It’s a significant hardware change that has been years in the making, but Microsoft’s messy way of communicating this has left many confused about whether their hardware is compatible. What is a TPM, and why do you need one for Windows 11 anyway?
This is actually quite troubling. Remember that Windows 10 was touted as the "final" version? Somewhere along the Windows evolution we had "secure boot" forced down our throats. For Linux users, "secure boot" has been a major pain. Additionally at the time it was implemented, the conspiracy theory angle was that "secure boot" was an attempt by Microsoft to cripple Linux. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. But at the time, "secure boot" was supposed to solve, to a degree, security issues. Evidently "secure boot" must not have really worked and could now be labeled as a "failure". So Microsoft now a new razzle-dazzle security $$$ device that they plan to once again being forced down our throats as another "solution" that will be immediately hacked.

Actually this brings-up a the very serious question: By what right does a software manufacture posses to dictate to a hardware company how they will manufacture a particular product?

This could be considered restraint of trade by Microsoft to create barriers of entry for competitors, such as the Linux community. Recall that Microsoft used its monopoly power to put DR-DOS out of business.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Maybe some of this will be reigned in a bit by the current wave of appetite for stricter antitrust laws regarding big tech that is still growing & emerging.

I just read today that google and amazon are getting in trouble in the UK for not preventing fake reviews - en masse - from becoming a shadow industry. I realize that's very different from antitrust laws, but just an example of, like it used to be orange man bad - now it's big tech bad. something liberals and conservatives seem to find some agreement on, if for totally different reasons.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I wonder why they are not capable of creating a portable program, that you just need to run to see if you can install Win11, instead of having to install and then remove a program?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Seems I will be stayiing with win10.?
My other laptop also will not run it?

1624708607035.png

64 bit Win 10 with 64 bit processor?
1624708700584.png

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
And my desktop that was a server in my old place of work?
1624709190713.png

Also 64 bit o/s with 64 bit processor
1624709248274.png

@AccessBlaster , do you have a Cray computer? :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom