Windows 7 SP1 and changing references (1 Viewer)

Wedgels

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:57
WARNING! AVOID Windows 7 SP1

Really weird.

I have installed Win 7 SP1 and since doing so whenever I compile an app and accde it it now no longer runs on my target machines. The targets being Windows XP.

I didn't understand it at first but I have done lots of testing and found that old versions of my app that were fine now no longer run at all on older boxes. They act as if one of my references is out of date. If I compile the app and accde it on the target machine - everything is fine. Bare in mind I haven't added or removed any references - just upgraded to SP1.

Now it is not just simply a missing reference but it would appear that SP1 has updated some part of one of the built in Access references and unless recompiled on an older machine - won't run properly when compiles on my Win 7 SP1 box.

Annoying.

Anyone any solutions? - Anyone else seen this or am I just going mad?

Last edited:

Wedgels

Registered User.
Local time
Re: WARNING - AVOID Windows 7 SP1

Yes - it is this problem - but there appears to be some workarounds.

'Just to make this clear: this is not a VB6 only issue.

Any programming language using MDAC COM classes with more specific interfaces than IDispatch will break due to the changed IIDs.'

Other quote:

'I'm having the same problem, installed sp1 on windows 7 and people with no sp1 or people on xp cannot run our software.

Hope that the fix comes quickly, cause I cannot know if all my clients installed sp1 so I cannot install sp1 myself :-('

Last edited:

Wedgels

Registered User.
Local time
Known workarounds:

1. Request a package of KB983246 and install it on your customers' machines. Re-compiled application should work after the package is installed.

2. Re-write your application to use later binding to ADO, or use interfaces with name xxx_deprecated.

3. Keep an old version of ADO typelib (i.e., msado28.tlb) (copy from Windows 7 RTM), then compile your application with the old typelib, instead of the one in your system.

Wedgels

Registered User.
Local time
stupid MS
good find

Pleasure. Just hope it saves some of you guys some time.

In the end I went down the KB install route. Not ideal for people distributing apps but really - as far as I can see - it is your only sensible option.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
it's an increasing issue though isnt it - especially if you use early binding, and include some of the other "standard" libraries. We now have versions of office from 10 through 14.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom