XenForo software version? (1 Viewer)

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 17:41
I'm very active on another forum that is undergoing a vBulletin to XenForo transition. We were given examples of what the forum would look like once it comes back online. They are all stark white pages with no contrasting breaks between posts. Everyone is dreading it.

I like what this forum has done and I wonder if there are different versions of the software in use?

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:41
I think there are add on modules that do different things. If you go back 4 or 5 pages to January in the site suggestions forum (this one) you can probably follow the progression of Jons changes.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 22:41
I *think* that might just be a theme choice.?
I've seen that format/layout before

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
@Jon is the one who could best answer your question. He did a lot of tweeking when the site was rolled out and if I recall correctly he had to spend a few bucks to buy extra features. Personally I think the Shades of Grey theme was one of the best.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm with @moke123 on this one. I use Shades of Grey all the time now and it has been transformative to reducing the eye strain and glare that beams horror into my eyes.

Aesthetics is a very personal thing. Each site owner has their own take on things. I've studied a ton of stuff on website usability over the last 20 years, so some of the design decisions of this site may be partly influenced by that body of knowledge.

You will never convince that person to get rid of the leopard skin rug, now matter how hard you try. [Sincere apologies to all those who have a leopard skin rug. :LOL: ]

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I initially thought shades of grey was awful after trying it but one day the 'normal' view just seemed to be like a punch in the eyes so I switched. Now I'd never go back. Jon, if the option is one that you had to implement it was a good choice. I just wish people who use the other theme would realize they shouldn't format text as black because it's just about invisible in the dark theme!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
but one day the 'normal' view just seemed to be like a punch in the eyes
Well said @Micron. I was in two minds when I first switched. But when I switch back to the default view, I have to go reach for my sunglasses!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Jon,
We are talking about a completely different layout here. ? :unsure:
Not just a colour scheme?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just the colour scheme. Forgive my English spelling of the word. :LOL:

zeroaccess

Local time
Jon,
We are talking about a completely different layout here. ? :unsure:
Not just a colour scheme?
Right. The layout is very different. That is why I wondered if there are different versions of XenForo in use.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Fer sure - check out Mr. Excel; same version, much different look IIRC (notice I didn't post it as a link?).

zeroaccess

Local time
It turns out the VerticalScope team is custom coding their own, so it differs from XF. Their reasoning is that they run a lot of sites and they need to keep them consistent and reliable. That seems logical, but we're having major readability problems with that design.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There are many different options to skin the site. I particularly liked the default and so stuck with it.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
No differentiation of post background color vs page background, no gap between posts, very hard to read.
Not as obvious as here, but each thread is delineated with a line, and so is each post in a thread?

zeroaccess

Local time
A thin line on a black/white or white/black scheme doesn't cut it, though.

Then there's the issue of posts using the same background color as the page.

Anyway, I'm glad we have examples of what not to do, and I'm glad Access World is easy to use.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I think site owners have a tendency to try to make things look unique. They end up fiddling with what is already a great design and making it worse. On the rare occasion, they do a good job. My philosophy is that the forum software designers have already spent a ton of time making something look good and work well. So I say, stick to the original design where possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom