Youtube Channel by Karl Donaubauer (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 00:57
In addition to several members who have YouTube channels (@isladogs ,@Uncle Gizmo,@sonic8 ,@strive4peace), all of which I have learned MUCH from - Access Powerhouse and MVP Karl Donaubauer has joined the fray with his own. I came across this bit of news on my morning rounds and hope you all find this as exciting as I did!

Here is his first video:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:57
Makes me wonder if the blog section of this site should be utilised, giving experts an opportunity to present their wares via an article. Idea would be they write an article, can have a link to their site at the end of the article and also embed a YouTube video, which would contribute to their viewership. Could be a win-win, maybe.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 12:57
add the Tiktok section too..

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Makes me wonder if the blog section of this site should be utilised, giving experts an opportunity to present their wares via an article. Idea would be they write an article, can have a link to their site at the end of the article and also embed a YouTube video, which would contribute to their viewership. Could be a win-win, maybe.
If you are soliciting votes, it's a "yes" for me.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It was a passing thought, and something I have mentioned on the forums before. But my previous thoughts were just about an article of say a minimum 1,000 words. The new part of my thinking was an article plus embedded YouTube video. That way they give this site more value but also increase the views of their YouTube video, which helps the algo for its ranking.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
It was a passing thought, and something I have mentioned on the forums before. But my previous thoughts were just about an article of say a minimum 1,000 words. The new part of my thinking was an article plus embedded YouTube video. That way they give this site more value but also increase the views of their YouTube video, which helps the algo for its ranking.
Great idea, IMHO

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
When I mentioned a similar concept before for the blog section, I didn't really get much enthusiasm for it, so perhaps it is a non-starter. Guest posting is quite common for lots of sites.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I think the blog and samples sections of the site would be more useful if they had sub divisions similar to the site itself. I think the search allows you to search by name so it is easy to find samples by your favorite expert. I'd be happy to help to sort them but it is hard having to do it through the forum interface. To start, I would add the sections and put all the existing items in an unchecked group and gradually move them to a more appropriate section.

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 23:57
I agree, John @NauticalGent -- Karl covers things going with Access in an entertaining, creative way. Now there are more 'Access News' videos by him -- latest is here:

I like your idea, @Jon -- especially if there is a good way to FIND videos relevent to what you want to learn about like being able to specify keywords or tags -- and those who share to fill out the main concepts that are covered, in addition to a title and description. Also happy to see you want to embed instead of having authors upload video here too since duplicate content creates canonical issues

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Jon, Now that I'm joining the group of video producers, I'm even more interested in the blog with links concept. Let me know if you want any help organizing it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Jon, Now that I'm joining the group of video producers, I'm even more interested in the blog with links concept. Let me know if you want any help organizing it.
When you say you are joining the group of video producers, do you mean you have started your own YouTube channel?

Regarding running it, I don't have any time so someone else or a few will need to run it. I will periodically check to see if the entries meet a set criteria. Just dropping a video will do nothing to help get the blog posts found. It needs text content so that Google will find the article and then serve it up to people searching for that content. Then any embedded video will get the exposure that way.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
At the moment, Uncle_Gizmo and I are collaborating. I don't know anything about how to drive traffic to a website.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
At the moment, Uncle_Gizmo and I are collaborating. I don't know anything about how to drive traffic to a website.
Do you mean driving to a YouTube channel or an actually website itself?

In either case, getting traffic is not easy!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I know it's not easy. 10 years ago when my husband (who knew enough about Access to be dangerous) was helping his users solve Access problems, he would frequently come up with my answers which he got a kick out of. Or you could type Pat Hartman and get a full page of references to my answers on Access help forums or my results in bridge tournaments. Today, you get nothing relating to me going down even 6 pages. I feel so invisible:(

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
In either case, getting traffic is not easy!

15 years ago I was a member on a website called "Ecademy" I posted a series of freely available YouTube videos which acted as funnels to my products, which were sold through the agency of payloadz.. (subsequently Sellfy, and now Gumroad...)

I was earning $20 to $40 per month for my hobby. (15y ago)

At the time, I was too busy with my real job to realise the opportunity I was missing!

YouTube worked OK for me for a couple of years. I ended up earning about $800 over about 3y, just for people looking at my YouTube videos..

But then for some inexplicable reason Google moved the goalposts, requiring, I believe, 4000 hours of viewing and 1000 members before you could receive any income. I have since achieved the 1000 members, but I have never achieve the 4000 hours of viewing.

Less than 4000hrs is perfectly understandable for the niche I occupy.

What isn't understandable is why Google put this impediment in the way of niche experts.

I'm still making around $20 to $40 per month, 15 years later, through my offerings.

Google analytics tells me that this is mainly through people that visit my Nifty Access website.

Most of the visitors to the nifty access website come via posts I make on access world forums...

And here is the dilemma, it is frowned upon, the idea of publishing products on forums such as Access World Forums. For some reason in my case, Jon does not object to this, for which I am most grateful.

But still, it doesn't make it right, hence I'm in a dilemma ..

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Google analytics tells me that this is mainly through people that visit my Nifty Access website.
Is it the amount of time a person "camps" on your site that counts as hours viewed or is it something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom