Live to work? or Work to live? (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 00:26
As an aside, I see that today is the 122nd birthday of that great English comedian Charlie Chaplin.

In my opinion he rates alongside that other great English comic, Bob Hope.

Pono1, is it just me? I can't read your attachment:confused:

Col

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
As an aside, I see that today is the 122nd birthday of that great English comedian Charlie Chaplin.

In my opinion he rates alongside that other great English comic, Bob Hope.

Pono1, is it just me? I can't read your attachment:confused:

Col

What were you googling Col?

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:26
Perhaps it's just me---I mean, I can see it...It's not terribly cogent, but so it goes in the WC.

try this

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
and here...attached...to beat the horse dead...

Attachments

• stickies.JPG
    stickies.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 129

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:26
Right now, I work to live. Due to the USA turmoil over Medicare, Medicaid, and a few other retirement issues, I have come to question whether I have enough money saved up despite having put aside money in retirement funds every year of my working life. Prices keep on going up. Some of my co-workers are reaching and passing retirement age without being able to actually retire. Sometimes it is the loophole in government contracting that bars insurance companies from rejecting you for a pre-existing condition if your contracts change. With the recent passage of the "ObamaCare" bill, there is some chance that the pre-existing condition rule would help, but I am not entirely confident about the stability of that bill. Therefore I am planning to retire but I am also considering the option to extend my career a couple of more years. Even if I can't protect myself, I might give my wife a little bit more help in her declining years.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Yesterday, 19:26
Right now, I work to live. Due to the USA turmoil over Medicare, Medicaid, and a few other retirement issues, I have come to question whether I have enough money saved up despite having put aside money in retirement funds every year of my working life. Prices keep on going up. Some of my co-workers are reaching and passing retirement age without being able to actually retire. Sometimes it is the loophole in government contracting that bars insurance companies from rejecting you for a pre-existing condition if your contracts change. With the recent passage of the "ObamaCare" bill, there is some chance that the pre-existing condition rule would help, but I am not entirely confident about the stability of that bill. Therefore I am planning to retire but I am also considering the option to extend my career a couple of more years. Even if I can't protect myself, I might give my wife a little bit more help in her declining years.

As it turns out; people that work longer, live longer.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
I also just read something abiut people who shop daily live longer. I don't think work itself has anything to with it, just staying active, keeping your mind going, and feeling 'necessary'. Some people seem to retire then just fade away, if they have nothing to do all day.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Are you sure that its not just a case that people who die young don't get a chance to work long.

Brian

Alc's right, it's the activity that matters. Stress is a double edged sword, we need it to thrive, yet it can cause some real missery.

Ah yes; the yen and yang.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Alc's right, it's the activity that matters. Stress is a double edged sword, we need it to thrive, yet it can cause some real missery.

Ah yes; the yen and yang.

Why do you think I still come on here after 5 years retirement, and I like logic challenges like the recent Lady Di problem in Excel. Ok not on much at the moment as wife is very ill, but still like a break on here.

My original comment was a little tongue in cheek, but I don't trust statistics as they are usually shallowly based, yeah I did make that word up. :D

Brian

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
No reason for people to retire and then start up the next career or go on to another job. There is work available - even in a lot of hard hit areas - just not too many people want to work hard for a wage or can not see the work opportunities and make the decision to make money. Anyone who is at "the retirement age" and is pushed out the door (or was pushed out into "early retirement" because they were too expensive and got the golden handshake) could and should take full advantage of having their 'retirement income' to prop up any other work they may want to seek or other business endeavors which become present. Lots of start up money, grants and handouts are available if there is a job you always wanted to do but never got off your butt and took the plunge.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Yesterday, 18:26
I definitely work to live. I like my job and the people I work with, but the last few years things have taken a turn for the worse with new management and attitudes around here. My immediate supervisor I like, but new directors have been brought in who have the opinion that those of us that were here before their arrival are stupid and worthless, and have proceeded to bring in their buddies making $70,000-$100,000. Not much of a morale booster.

Now that the job market is picking up a little bit, I'm starting to keep my eyes open for something that might fit me. But no job will be better than spending time with my family. If I could, I would be a stay at home mom, but haven't got the finances to a point where I can do that.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
I picked up an idea from one of those 'self help' books, changed my contract with the people I'm currently working for, and now pretty much work three days a week. They're happy, as the work still gets done and they save some money. My wife's happy, as those little jobs now get done around the house. My son's happy, as he sees more of me.

Okay, I'll never be rich, but at the moment its nice to be able to drop him at daycare myself and pick him up, or even just keep him out for the day and go to the zoo. I figure, in a few short years from now he'll be embarrassed by Dad so I may as well make the most of the time now.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
If you are staying at home more and doing more family activities and being with your son more that is a better definition of a 'rich life' then having extra monies.
I would doubt your sone would be embarrassed by you in a few short years - growing up everyone had friends with 'cool parents' who were not neccessarily more permissive but always around when needed to talk with or consult.
I have found that it is not possible to put a price on the precious things in life.

I picked up an idea from one of those 'self help' books, changed my contract with the people I'm currently working for, and now pretty much work three days a week. They're happy, as the work still gets done and they save some money. My wife's happy, as those little jobs now get done around the house. My son's happy, as he sees more of me.

Okay, I'll never be rich, but at the moment its nice to be able to drop him at daycare myself and pick him up, or even just keep him out for the day and go to the zoo. I figure, in a few short years from now he'll be embarrassed by Dad so I may as well make the most of the time now.

Adam Caramon

Local time

Spot on, Alc.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
I have found that it is not possible to put a price on the precious things in life.
Wish I'd realised that a few years ago, but it's nice to be in a position to take advantage of it, now that I have.
Spot on, Alc.
Thanks. Believe it or not, most people I speak to seem to gasp at the prospect of giving up the chance to make extra cash, but in some cases I know it's because they can't do the same thing and don't want to admit to jealousy. As I see it, twenty years form now would I look back fondly on the fact I earned an extra few hundred a week? Not likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom