can't change anything in query property sheet (1 Viewer)

mkdrep

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:58
I must have clicked on something to cause this but Suddenly, I can't change the property sheet values in any of my queries. As you can see from attached (.jpg), all the fields under "General" tab are empty, and yet, this particular column has the title "TSDQ-1" as it's column header. I want to change it but can't.

Any suggestions as to what I might have done?

thank you.

Attachments

• Cant_Change_Query_Prop_sheet.jpg
    Cant_Change_Query_Prop_sheet.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 202

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:58
Hi. It looks like you may have adjusted the column size of the properties too wide. Try dragging the right side of the column towards the left a little bit.

mkdrep

Registered User.
Local time
I tried your suggestion and it didn't change anything.

The issue is I can't click in an of the fields under the "General" Tab and make a change in the Description/Format/Input Mask/Caption property fields.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Can you post a sample copy of your db here, so we can try it out for you?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Just to be clear, here's what I expect to see in your property sheet. Please note the column separator in the middle of the window.

Attachments

• props.PNG
    props.PNG
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,077

mkdrep

Registered User.
Local time
As I have investigated this issue further, it appears I can't change the properties on any query or a form. I have attached the property sheet for the form here. This leads me to believe, I turned something "off" somehow and I don't know how I did it or how to fix it.

Attachments

• form_prop_sheet.jpg
    form_prop_sheet.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 118

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Are you sure it's not because of what I said earlier? How come we can't see any of the property values? Did you notice how the image I posted earlier has a visible column border/separator? If you can post a sample copy of your db with just a copy of one form and/or query, we could verify it for you.

mkdrep

Registered User.
Local time
I fixed it. Apparently, I moved the 2nd column in the form property sheet too far to the right which made it appear as if everything disappeared.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I fixed it. Apparently, I moved the 2nd column in the form property sheet too far to the right which made it appear as if everything disappeared.
Hi. Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. That's exactly what I meant earlier when I said try moving the right side of the column border towards the left. Cheers!

mkdrep

Registered User.
Local time
I see that now, just didn't understand what you were saying earlier! thx for your help

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I see that now, just didn't understand what you were saying earlier! thx for your help
Hi. You're welcome. As long as you got it fixed in the end, that's the only thing that matters. Good luck with your project.

PNEfinney

Local time
Today, 11:58
can you believe that a year to the date im searching on this forum for the same issue. However, none of the steps above fixed this.

No matter what movement or sizing I do to the properties, I cant get the options to populate, just blank. Is there a setting that has turned these off?
As background, I have queries running from base tables, with the idea that these are copied into EXCEL tables and pivots from there. As soon as the data is queried, the query 'flattens all the data to Short text, and removes any sort of date/ number/ currency formatting.

I found a workaround in a previous report where I would just wrap the query in a formatting formula, but this field is a formatting query from the outset;

Month: Format([Actual ABS END DATE],"mmm") & " " & Format([Actual ABS END DATE],"yy")

Any ideas, because my pivot month fields have to be organised manually, and everytime I update them in future, I will have to do this manually for 3 pivots each on 9 reports. And I cant really be bothered with that....

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There is no setting to turn these off. Just to confirm, you can see the vertical bar as seen in post #7? If not widen the property window until you can

A couple of points about your code - you could just use
Month: Format([Actual ABS END DATE],"mmm yy")

and Month is as reserved word (it is a function which returns the month part of a date) and should not be used as a field name

PNEfinney

Local time
There is no setting to turn these off. Just to confirm, you can see the vertical bar as seen in post #7? If not widen the property window until you can

A couple of points about your code - you could just use
Month: Format([Actual ABS END DATE],"mmm yy")

and Month is as reserved word (it is a function which returns the month part of a date) and should not be used as a field name

Thanks for the advice on the code, cant believe I didn't think of that, especially after wrapping the above code in it!!

for the view, this is what I get:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 125

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK - what is the field type and what version of Access? - looks like this one is a primary key

I presume you are saying clicking to the right of the vertical line you cannot enter anything? If so - is the database enabled, i.e. not opened read only

PNEfinney

Local time
Version ACCESS 2016 (latest one, not 365)
Can’t ascertain in aces what type, but when copied into excel, it comes through as General.
When I click in the right hand side, I get the
All enabled.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
not sure what to make of that response, just open the table in design view to see the datatype.

And don't understand what you mean by

When I click in the right hand side, I get the
All enabled.

PNEfinney

Local time
not sure what to make of that response, just open the table in design view to see the datatype.

And don't understand what you mean by

the table that I’m pulling into the query has that field as a date field, I’m pulling a format query on the date field but I can’t see what format myquery is formatting on because when I click on the drop down in properties it opens up a drop down that is blank and won’t populate with anything, even if I try and prompt it with the first letter.

when I copy and paste the results into excel, the format in excel is General.

this means when I pivot it it doesn’t recognise them as dates so puts all the result in a random order along the columns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom