using other people as soundboards (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 18:03
I had this happen the other day as I was talking to a GoDaddy agent about what I was doing with a MYSQL database. I apparently found a nasty bug in the newest version of wordpress so I started a thread on the wordpress forum about the issue and a Chinese man replied to me. Eventually after 3 back and forths he asked me to give him the URL to the page that was causing the problem, and of course I can't let him see what I'm preparing before the website is live and available to the public (especially anyone from that crowded nation!), so I backed up the database as a .sql file, cloned the wordpress installation, and stripped all the content out of the database in the new installation. I then sent him the URL, which was part of a domain that had 1 file on the server. He has since stopped responding to me because apparently he has no fix for the issue, but as I was meddling in all of the attachments and code samples I had attached to the original database I got a little lost in what I was doing. I needed a push to get back on track so I called GoDaddy and the agent just listened on the other end of the phone while I talked to myself and he confirmed on an intermittent basis: "that sounds right to me". So I ended up solving my own problem but needed to talk to someone else in order to do it....

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
i forgot to ask the question....do any of you other guys here do this same thing? is this common or is it specific to scatter brained induced people like me?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 23:03
I think you're talking to yourself again :rolleyes:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I was just asking a question Colin! you mean you've never done this soundboarding thing to help get your thoughts strait? the godaddy agent was happy to serve the role he did.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There is a time in any project where a discussion can help to clarify intent and to decide whether some ideas are wackier than others. If that qualifies as a sounding board exercise, then yes I have used that.

But a divergent question... We are talking about sounding boards, but then there is the old drawing board. My only question is, where did the inventor of the drawing board go back to before he got it right?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:03
My only question is, where did the inventor of the drawing board go back to before he got it right?

LOL! He's here all week folks, and please tip your servers. :D

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
We are talking about sounding boards, but then there is the old drawing board. My only question is, where did the inventor of the drawing board go back to before he got it right?
is this a retired person's question richard? I don't get it. perhaps it's been too long of a day for me? maybe he went back to working with stone tools? that's a bad answer...I know.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:03
is this a retired person's question richard?
LOL. No, it's not. It's a question posed by someone with more than a modicum of common sense and wisdom. If that comes through age it's only a coincidence and not a prerequisite.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
LOL. No, it's not. It's a question posed by someone with more than a modicum of common sense and wisdom. If that comes through age it's only a coincidence and not a prerequisite.
i don't think i deserved that comment, *actually*.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:03
I think at some point you'll say to yourself "how did I not get that??". :eek:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:03
i don't think i deserved that comment, *actually*.
Your original comment and your following response is a product of your naivete, thus you are are entitled to both comments. One day you'll catch up to the rest of us old fogies, but alas, we will be cold in our graves. There is something to be said for age; it imparts a wisdom that is naturally deficient in those who are younger in both years and experience. Or as PBaldy said...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thank you, thank you folks... I got a million of 'em.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Your original comment and your following response is a product of your naivete, thus you are are entitled to both comments. One day you'll catch up to the rest of us old fogies
are YOU one of the old fogies too? I always thought you were one of the young ones. and I may be Naive is some respects, but I'm pretty damn successful with it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom