Feature wish list (if we change forum platform) (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:32
Currently, the poll seems to suggest that most people here feel a change of platform from vBulletin to Xenforo is a wise move, given the security issues, poor mobile experience and it being end of life software. This is tempered by the risk of a substantial drop in traffic. That is also possibly mitigated by improved user engagement, which might help its long term growth. But enough of that. I'm still not 100% convinced on the switch-over, but I am very tempted.

What I would like to know is that if we did decide to migrate, what features would you like from the new forum software? That can include features already enjoyed here or ones that we don't currently have. Come on, let me know!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
What I would like to know is that if we did decide to migrate, what features would you like from the new forum software?

Well, I think it goes without saying! I'd like to be able to post videos that are visible in the threads.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Are videos here currently visible in threads?

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 06:32
I would like an easy way to have a favorites archive. That way when someone have a question and there is a good example thread it is easy to reference. Like to be able to add any thread to archive without even subscribing to it.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Here's a thought stream of requested features. Some I've asked for previously

Retain all existing features including thanks and RPs.
However do we still need visitor messages? Use PMs instead

Add section for news/announcements on main forum page (e.g. to inform members of site issues or major Access bugs)
Lists of VIPs as well as moderators that can easily be found!

Better moderator control panel - Happy to explain but if so in the mods area

Prevent guests from downloading files (to encourage them to join)

Drag and drop of attached files and images.
Online images to be displayed reduced size by default with click to zoom (as at UA and AF.net).
Would having inline videos run risk of abuse/spam? Also wonder if these will eat up bandwidth

Allow files and images to be attached to PMs
VBA code button with colours (similar to PHP button but related to VBA)

Improvements to RPs system to increase flexibility including list of RPs sent, current reputation 'power' as at AF.net and a further reduction in number of people from 14 to 10 before repeat award allowed

Improve threaded mode option as the current one doesn't really work

Autosave on post/reply window (as at AF.net)

Agree with Favourites archive as suggested by MajP

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Some excellent suggestions there, @isladogs

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Uncle, I think both those links are the same.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ah gotcha, see what you mean now. It doesn't load up the destination video into a window.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I just love the fact you can theme Xenforo to look similar to vBulletin. When I discovered that, it made me chuckle and feel all warm inside! Lets those who have this forums theme ingrained in their brain keep the look and feel of it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:32
It looks like I missed out on making some of those suggestions because I'm on the far side of the pond, Greenwich +5, so in this case I was snoozing while others chimed in. I have nothing to add because all the good suggestions were made. MajP's bookmark suggestion was particularly a good idea but I liked some of Colin's ideas, too.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
What about the Wiki idea again? Just throwing that out there!

Much of what is mentioned above can be implemented. And I too think the bookmark feature looks really good.

Kyrie

Local time
Today, 03:32
Jon,

After taking a poke around the forums you'll need Articles, Wiki, and Resource Manager... And after reading some other concerns the one thing I've researched (although only about an hour) is that you'll NOT be able to keep your "Thanks and Thanked" on the boards. You'll have to re-implement an addon which does exist but the data is parsed a different way.

deletedT

Local time
  1. Having a LIKE button.
  2. Simple way of adding in line images. I'm a CAD/CAM guy and in most of CAD forums, I can drag an image form a folder or desktop to where I'm typing. The image is added and is visible even in the message area and before posting.
  3. Receiving a message when I'm mentioned in a post.
  4. Receiving a message if someone give me a thank or REP.
  5. This one is a little hard to explain. In other forums when a thread contains let's say 10 post and I reply to the 5th post, my post doesn't go to the bottom of the page. It goes under 5th post and indents to right. Just like a IF...Else...End IF statement. A look at the page shows who is talking to who.
  6. A clear way to show which reply to a question was able to solve the problem. A button or any other way that can accept a post as correct answer.

Jon, you may want to take a look at this page and my suggestions.
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=304461

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Tera, on switching, you would get your requested Like button [chuckles]

I am not 100% sure, but I believe mentions notifications are there by default. Not sure about rep.

Your point #5 is a threaded display, and won't be available.

There are add-ons that allow you to mark Best Answer, that type of thing.

Thanks for the link. I will have a quick read.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Hey @Kyrie, thanks for your suggestions. What makes you say I need Articles and Resources Manager?

It would be a shame about the loss of the Thanks count. Perhaps some manual editing of the Likes count for the top 30-50 people on this forum might mitigate some of that pain.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok @Tera, I've had a quick read. Some of your wants are addressed as mentioned above. Yes, the image implementation here is rubbish, and that would improve if we switched platforms.

I am not 100% sure of the search functionality on Xenforo, but I can only imagine they have improved on what is offered here. In addition, you can buy search capability add-ons to improve its functionality. I can look into this if we switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom