overthinking it.... (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 05:12
have you guys ever encountered anyone that was thinking too much? I just ran into an article posted by a woman who apparently got some advice from a "professional" that had a little too much time on their hands...

Advice:

the_writer_of_the_article.jpg

and a common sense response:

the_response_of_a_simpleton.jpg

and after I got a bit of feedback from the author, we both had a little fun poking a little fun at different things and people:

the_second_response.jpg

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:12
The book "Thinking, Fast and Slow" breaks thinking down into fast instinctive and slow deliberative thinking. So perhaps what you are really saying is that people are doing too much deliberative thinking and not enough instinctive thinking.

Thoughts on a postcard...

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
So perhaps what you are really saying is that people are doing too much deliberative thinking and not enough instinctive thinking.
I'm a little too busy to look those terms up, but the *thinking* in general in this day in age is becoming a tad too much.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I think you just used instinctive thinking. It is fast and reflexive. If you sat and pondered for a while, that would be deliberative. I am not sure what the classification is though if you sat and pondered for a while, then in the future you responded with what you previously thought through. That response at that point in time is reflexive, but it was based on previous deliberative thought. Hmmmm... :unsure: 😷

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Descartes said, "I think, therefore I am." If he followed your advice, he would vanish in a puff of smoke!

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:12
I cannot think a world without Descartes... Am i overthinking ?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I think you just used instinctive thinking. It is fast and reflexive. If you sat and pondered for a while, that would be deliberative. I am not sure what the classification is though if you sat and pondered for a while, then in the future you responded with what you previously thought through. That response at that point in time is reflexive, but it was based on previous deliberative thought. Hmmmm... :unsure: 😷
this entire post of your Jon, makes me very sorrowful for one reason => I know damn good and well I cannot avoid people like you in the world. thus I must I protect myself and stay away from you "thinkers" as much as possible so my faith is not damaged. But like I already told you Jon, you should be just fine because you seem to have a good handle on knowing when to cut yourself off.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Are Christians not thinkers too? When you think, do you damage your faith? Why would thinking damage your faith if you believe it is true beyond conviction?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Are Christians not thinkers too? When you think, do you damage your faith? Why would thinking damage your faith if you believe it is true beyond conviction?
I don't think ur following me Jon. I already told you that you'll be fine. :) EVERYONE is overthinking shit today. there are very few people that fall outside that realm. So just continue on, it's normal. If I were you, I wouldn't even attempt to figure out what I'm talking about.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I think - there I go again - I do know what you are talking about. But sometimes the words are meaningly yet the meta view is everything.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
meta view is everything.
are we talking about this forum's HTML tags again, sir? :p by the way, did you read that article I sent to you about the META tags being dead and not used by bots anymore?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
In the olden days, I used to be able to tweak meta tags for the win. I pretty much ignore them nowadays.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
In the olden days, I used to be able to tweak meta tags for the win. I pretty much ignore them nowadays.
I would've suggested the same thing jon. God only knows how many algorithms r involved with google searches. But I'll tell u this....

I saw a post on linkedin from a google employee last month that illustrated what google asks of job candidates. His post included 15 different algorithms that had to be explained to the interviewers. How stupid is that!? My last SSH login to my godaddy server saw me getting the public and private keys from automated tools. So the encryption is automated! Thus....what the hell is the point in knowing how it works!? LOL.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thus....what the hell is the point in knowing how it works!?

And that is what is wrong with too many people these days who THINK they can program but don't understand at least SOME of the basis of how it works. Those people will never be the systems analysts and systems designers of the world. The point of knowing how something works is to be able to know when it suddenly is NOT working correctly. OR maybe the job is designing better mousetraps, in which case it would make a lot of sense to know how the worse moustraps worked.

I know it sounds like an elitist argument, but if you go to a doctor to have a liver problem examined, do you really want someone like the pill dispenser types of the movie Idiocracy to see you? Or do you want someone who actually knows how the body is supposed to work?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
That's a good point Richard. But can u tell me what an expert like u would do in a situation like that of which will certainly come to pass in the future? For instance, one whereby so many servers are interconnected and so many algorithms are running at once that the system crashes because the code gets tangled and thus starts malfunctioning? Would you seriously try to diagnose the issue and the problems source or would u just shut the damn farm down and restart it? Isn't that exactly why the stock markets KILL switch was created many years ago??? I think so!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Oh for cryin' out loud, ...

Modern systems do not crash because code gets "tangled." They do not crash the way that you describe. You clearly have no clue about operating system design and behavior. You exhibit such deep misunderstanding that I am astounded that you even dared post on the subject. Either you are arrogant enough to make terribly wrong assumptions and not care that you expose your ignorance, or else someone who explained a crash to you "talked down" to you because they didn't think you were worth the time of a proper explanation.

I will NOT talk down to you. What WOULD happen for Windows or UNIX or OpenVMS or VMWare (the four systems I can talk about) is that when you tried to launch yet another task, if you had actually reached a capacity limit, you would have gotten a message "Insufficient resources." And if it was that the program launched OK but later tried to extend its virtual size past the limits, IT would have crashed (as an individual program) with an "Insufficient resources" error. For some situations it would be more specific as to which resource was depleted, e.g. "Insufficient Virtual Memory" or "Task Table Full" or something like that.

For YEARS computer operating systems have had the ability to detect resource limits. Any system that actually COULD take on so much work as to choke itself is either poorly designed or has an inexperienced or incompetent administrator who doesn't understand how to determine a system's capacity. ALL systems potentially have the ability to know when they've gone too far, unlike some humans.

This is a case where the boss saying "I don't care, raise the quotas" will result in GREATER down-time. That happened once. I documented the demand and my response and the boss's "I don't care, do it." And that boss was given a lateral transfer two months later because of his idiocy. The new boss told me to retune accordingly and give him specs on what to get to prevent further recurrences. (Turned out to be physical memory.)

A good analyst would be able to monitor resource consumption and make predictions of overloads based on whatever growth is predicted. Such a person would also know when a system HAS reached a limit and thus needs "tuning" to throttle the job queue or the task list. (Or needs a memory upgrade, which also happens.) In the 28 1/2 years of my service with the U.S. Navy Reserve, I've predicted upgrade requirements not less than four times for CPU issues and maybe five or six times for disk issues. Also at least twice for bandwidth consumption issues. I was even able to automate the predictive processes to the point that they were accurate to the hour at which a particular disk would enter a danger zone. It is not impossible to prevent exactly the failure mode you are describing.

Before you ask, by actual measure using log files and other performance files, I kept my systems running 99.93% availability during scheduled operational hours; i.e. less than 0.1% unexpected downtime over a 10-year period. Many months my system availability was 100% and a lot of time it was in the 99.98% or 99.99% availability. I think my longest uptime was a 5-month stretch of continuous 100% availability because that particular O/S (non-Windows) didn't have any patches to apply. No patches, no down-time.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Oh for cryin' out loud, ...

Modern systems do not crash because code gets "tangled." They do not crash the way that you describe. You clearly have no clue about operating system design and behavior. You exhibit such deep misunderstanding that I am astounded that you even dared post on the subject. Either you are arrogant enough to make terribly wrong assumptions and not care that you expose your ignorance, or else someone who explained a crash to you "talked down" to you because they didn't think you were worth the time of a proper explanation.
I would be VERY interested to see what kind of response you would get if you traveled to Wall Street and you said those exact words to the CEO of Goldman Sachs, who probably employs many physicists in this day in age. My guess would be that they would laugh at you because you would be claiming to know how everything works. There is no doubt that people in those places that are managing the computer networks, but do you honestly think they understand everything about it? Anybody with any common sense, I would certainly guess, would say NO WAY. but then again, as so many in this place say, Adam is WRONG. =(

on a side note Richard, do you personally know anyone that profited heavily back in the day when all of the server farms were being constructed and the internet and hosting companies were gaining traction in the service-oriented sector the business world? i would guess that a LOT of people made a $hit pot full of money selling space. Not to mention all those people that bought every 2,3 and 4-letter domain names when they were first created so they could re-sell them at 5 million percent markups. Unreal, isn't it? You talk about an obsession with money and political positioning in life? WOW. that's a wonderful example right there! But then again, if you were a christian, you would know that the son, who hides in secret and watches all of that, is full of sorrow because he knows that people like that are chasing their own tale when the answer is very simple, and waits for them to find it.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Goldman Sachs? They are an investment group. They can AFFORD to hire folks who are, indeed, experts in their particular operating system, just as I happen to hold an O/S certification for OpenVMS, which was my main Navy system. The others were side duties.

I honestly believe that there are senior system analysts at ANY major financial institutions and those senior people DO know everything about their machines. Because it is their JOB to know things about their equipment. If they are newbies, they might not - but that's why there is usually a senior and highly experienced systems analyst on any major company's staff. Anyone with common sense would say that Goldman Sachs can afford to hire an expert to keep their equipment running non-stop to maximum efficiency. They only need one or two per active shift.

I don't claim to know how everything works. But I do claim to know how lots of things work. Don't you? So far you haven't show a lot of basic understanding other than how to diddle with search engines to do a web-dump in response to questions. But I'll admit you can do some web languages and I never went that way. So if you make comments about php or some of those other related languages, I might just take your word for it. If the situation ever arises.

Personally know someone who profited from setups of server farms? No, because when that revolution started, I was already working with the Navy and the words "military" and "profit" somehow seem inimical. But all the people I knew were Navy types with a typical mix of junior and senior folks. Not particularly different from the competency mix of private industry situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom