Website not opening sometimes (1 Viewer)

Ravi Kumar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:45
Dear all ,

Here in India , from today morning (26-02-2020) , several times I got warning saying "This page is not secure go back to your start page"
But however after sometimes it is opening .Is it secure to browse or is there any problem with the website security?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:15
No the forum software and the site are on Https ;
1582722618127.png
1582722618127.png

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:15
This is primarily a question for our site owner, Jon, to examine. However, for what it is worth, I have not seen such a message. That COULD mean I have just missed it if it is an intermittent event.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I have heard that sometimes the Cloudflare, which is what I am testing for a CDN, shares the SSL certificate with a large number of sites. So if someone does spamming with that same certificate, then it could get flagged. But I've heard it is rare. So I do not have an answer really.

Ravi Kumar

Registered User.
Local time
Today also I am facing the same problem frequently..
Warning message.JPG

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Since the site is normally connected via HTTPS, to see that means you are seeing it through a relay. If you have an anti-virus package, it is time to run a scan to verify that your system hasn't been compromised.

Ravi Kumar

Registered User.
Local time
Since the site is normally connected via HTTPS, to see that means you are seeing it through a relay. If you have an anti-virus package, it is time to run a scan to verify that your system hasn't been compromised.
Okay i'll check & revert back.

Ravi Kumar

Registered User.
Local time
Dear all,
The antivirus is up-to-date.
The issue is still not resolved .But I am attaching you the certificate which my system is warning me as invalid .please look into this.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 94
  • snicloudflaresslcom.zip
    1 KB · Views: 88

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I looked at the certificate. The dates are valid and structurally it appears OK, but it IS a self-signed certificate. That is generally legal but some security software doesn't like that. Check your browser security settings because that is a browser-originated warning page, not an anti-virus package's page (or at least that is how I would interpret it.)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've changed a setting on Cloudflare to enforce all traffic to use https. @Ravi Kumar What browser type and version are you using?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
For some reason I'm not having issues with CloudFlare. If Jon's change of setting is not working for you, there IS a way to add the certificate you extracted into your trusted Root certificates list. IF you have admin privileges on your machine, you can do this.

To get to the right page to add a certificate to your list, you need to get to the control panel. Start by right-clicking the Windows icon at the lower left of your screen. For anything earlier than Windows 10, click Settings and go to Control Panel. For Windows 10, click on the GEAR icon in the popup list. There is "search box" you can use to find settings. Type in "Control Panel" and the ENTER key.

From control panel, select "Network and Internet" >> Internet Options. This brings up a complex dialog box with multiple tabs. It MIGHT be labeled "Internet Properties" but I have Win 10, nothing earlier any more. From there look at the "Content" tab. There is a "Certificates" button that brings up a dialog box that lets you see four categories of publisher. IF you wanted to do so, and IF Jon's adjustment didn't help you, from that Certificates box you could IMPORT the CloudFlare certificate as a Trusted Issuer or as an Intermediate issuer. (There is a button for importing...)

I do not recommend this until you see if Jon's fix helped. I am using HTTPS all the time so my system doesn't balk at the connection but if yours somehow allowed simple HTTP, perhaps Jon's fix will fix you.

NOTE that CloudFlare is NOT in any of my "trusted" or "intermediate" lists either.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK, that link makes sense. It might be that Ravi Kumar's ISP doesn't have that certificate, not that HE doesn't.

Ravi Kumar

Registered User.
Local time
I've changed a setting on Cloudflare to enforce all traffic to use https. @Ravi Kumar What browser type and version are you using?
Hai , Thank you for the details I am using Microsoft edge (version: Microsoft Edge 44.17763.831.0,Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.17763) , and also as this is company PC my IT dept. won't allow me to add any certificate .But as I discussed with him yesterday he said the same as above(this is not a antivirus message).

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I do not know what the cause is. The site seems to be working mostly ok for others.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Ask your IT department if you have sufficient privilege on your machine to import that certificate to your "Personal" certificates category as described in my post #11 of this thread. Let them look at it first if they have doubt. What I've done would have detected whether a certificate was expired. The fact that you connect sometimes tells me the cert isn't on a Black List somewhere inside your company or service provider. That leaves me with very little else to look at offhand.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:15
There have been times at work where I have received the "certificate error" for this site and others. I never get them for Yahoo or CNN but I have for this site and FOX news, at work never at home. I just figured it was a built-in bias from some penciled necked geek in the server room.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok. I did not have Cloudflare installed then so it won't be that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom