Heads up on Microsoft Windows 10 1909 Update.!!! (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 04:54
Well done Microsoft.

Just had an update to Win10 1909. Quite a big one. :(
Thought it might be a good idea to create a restore point after it all finished.
As I do not do it that often, I usually just use the Search from the taskbar.

Just tried that now and all it gives me is the stupid web links?

So I go to one of those weblinks, and the video shows me how to do it from the non web links, none of which are shown anymore.????

One such link

Now most of the time the search bar does not work anymore either and just closes. :mad:

Be aware people. :(

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yesterday, 23:54
Time once again for my "go Linux!!!" chant.:)

I have a duel boot computer. I experienced no problem with the last update. But then I seldom use Windows so I'm pretty close to a fresh "factory install".

One approach I am considering before undertaking a major upgrade is creating an ISO image of the hard drive. I just recently bought an 8TB USB drive for that purpose. I don't know about Windows, but with Linux one can use Timeshift to make a copy of the system files, basically the same as a restore point. That has saved me on a couple of occasions. I have a bash script to back-up all user files. All my backups (system and user files) are stored on a separate (different) hard drive just in case the "main" drive fails.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:54
I was able to search for a feature local to my system and I appear to have the aforementioned update. However, I did turn off Cortana a long time ago and have diddled with my system's search permissions. I don't have a cloud account or and MS account so they CAN'T search that for me. But I can see how the search box changed.

ADDENDUM: Most of my searches are performed from Firefox. No problem there.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Time once again for my "go Linux!!!" chant.:)

I have a duel boot computer. I experienced no problem with the last update. But then I seldom use Windows so I'm pretty close to a fresh "factory install".

One approach I am considering before undertaking a major upgrade is creating an ISO image of the hard drive. I just recently bought an 8TB USB drive for that purpose. I don't know about Windows, but with Linux one can use Timeshift to make a copy of the system files, basically the same as a restore point. That has saved me on a couple of occasions. I have a bash script to back-up all user files. All my backups (system and user files) are stored on a separate (different) hard drive just in case the "main" drive fails.
I've been using computers since the DOS days, so command screen is no big deal for me, and I still use it for somethings.
I have played with Linux in one version or another. My NAS boxes are built on it as are my Omnifi music streamers.

But that is all I have done, just played with it. I even have windows update switched off on startup, so still trying to wonder how it even decided to do it? :(
If I can get into the bloody restore option, I might even be able to put it back :), but that is just delaying the inevitable. :)

Edit:
rstrui.exe will do it.

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thought it might be a good idea to create a restore point after it all finished.

Hmmm. Usually you would take/create a restore point Before a Major Update or installation of software of "uncertain quality", in order to have a fall back position if that Major Update fails or you deem it unwieldy.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Hmmm. Usually you would take/create a restore point Before a Major Update or installation of software of "uncertain quality", in order to have a fall back position if that Major Update fails or you deem it unwieldy.
Yes I know. Fortunately windows update took one before cocking up the system.
Seems the update was not complete, as I decided to just try a restart and in doing so, it did some more 'please wait' messages and then came up with that 'Welcome to Windows' screen with a few options.

I've got to the GUI via Properties of My PC, as trying to create a restore point from command line states only one every 24 hours, unless you play around with the registry and add a DWord. I'll leave that alone for now.

Search still does not work though, just closes.:mad:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A little off-topic, but with empathy--
I currently have a Lenovo laptop(Win 10 Home 1909). I also have an older Dell laptop (2008- 2GB Ram 1.8 GZ 64 bit AMD processor) - came with Vista. I ran Vista on it for years. I never updated to WIN 7 so did not get any automatic offer/change to WIN 10. About a year I installed WIN 10 (unregistered) and it worked. It is 1809 and I use it mainly as a radio. I've been getting updates, but recently have been advised that 1809 is getting near the end of its support. When I opt for the 1909 update, it processes for a long time and then tells me it was unsuccessful and restores 1809. Since it isn't a registered copy, I haven't found a way to turn off updates. So at the moment it's a cycle of you should update; M$oft attempts to update; update unsuccessful; revert to 1809. This can't go on too much longer.

A little background -I'm not a linux person, but did run dual boot on the Dell - Linux Mint xfce 19.2 and Win 10. Booting sequence was Linux then Wiindows. The problem I had was when I ran Windows and M$oft attempted the updates, the system would attempt reboots during the update process and since Linux boot was default, the Windows update would fail on the restart. Since I knew it was trying to update, I tried to adjust the boot sequence - discussed in linux forums - but finally just removed linux - only to find the machine seems incapable of 1909 WIN 10. So 1809 it will stay.

From various forums and general Windows comments we are seeing more and more that the Win 10 updates can be/are quite quirky. The releases tend to be followed with several warnings, surprises, shortcomings - much like your current situation. Operational systems start to experience problems - many traceable to the latest WIN update.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
A little background -I'm not a linux person, but did run dual boot on the Dell - Linux Mint xfce 19.2 and Win 10. Booting sequence was Linux then Wiindows. The problem I had was when I ran Windows and M$oft attempted the updates, the system would attempt reboots during the update process and since Linux boot was default, the Windows update would fail on the restart. Since I knew it was trying to update, I tried to adjust the boot sequence - discussed in linux forums - but finally just removed linux - only to find the machine seems incapable of 1909 WIN 10. So 1809 it will stay.
In a dual boot computer, you need to set a delay in grub before it boots into an operating system. (It will also give you a drop down list of which OS you wish to boot into.) This gives you time to select Windows even-though Linux may be the default OS. Conversly, Windows could also be made the default OS.

What that means is that when Windows goes through the upgrade/reboot process, you have wait and watch to "catch" grub at the selection point and choose Windows as the OS to be booted into.

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Related to the linux/win issue I was having.
Also more here
I was trying to not have to do manual intervention. In the end I removed the SSD with dual boot and installed smaller SSD with WIN 10 Home. I think it was 1803 and has been updated to 1809.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
This is what I am on now

1591371931497.png

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I previously had major problems with updates 1803, 1809 and 1903 and also turned off further updates as a result.
I relented recently and , to my surprise, 1909 installed without a hitch. I believe it was mainly intended as bug fixes for 1903.
As far as I'm aware it had no new features of any significance.

FWIW I have build 18363.836 on this Windows tablet

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Good to see that you visited the Linux Mint Forum. The "fun" of computers, sometimes things work and sometimes that don't. Recently, I succesfully installed Linux Mint 19.3 in UEFI mode. But just prior to that I had attempted to install Linux Mint LMDE 4 and it would not take in UEFI mode. Why one version of Linux Mint would work and another would not is unknown. I gave-up.:(

Two additional thoughts.
  1. With a dual boot system, you need to disable "fast startup" in Windows and disable "secure boot" in BIOS. I swear, but have no proof, that a couple of times the Windows update process restarted "fast startup".
  2. I have made the Windows partition when Linux is the operational OS as "read-only". The reason for that, is that the boot process occasionally gets disrupted. Why this happens periodically and apparently on a random basis is unknown.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Colin,
I have same build on my Lenovo.

deletedT

Local time
Since it isn't a registered copy, I haven't found a way to turn off updates. So at the moment it's a cycle of you should update; M$oft attempts to update; update unsuccessful; revert to 1809. T

You can not turn automatic updates off/on in Windows 10 home. You need a pro version for this.

For updating to 1909, you can go to Microsoft download page (following link), click Download Tool now, run it and follow the wizard. This tool downloads and installs 1909 version.

Edit : Be sure to download the tools. Clicking Update now is the same as update from your pc.

deletedT

Local time
Well done Microsoft.

Virtualization in windows 1909 is amazing. Just try Windows Sandbox and Windows Virtual Desktop.

Instead of a restore point you need an image. Restore points are over written or will be deleted after the space on hard disk you've set for this purpose is full. Having an image of the whole C drive is the safest way to go.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I previously had major problems with updates 1803, 1809 and 1903 and also turned off further updates as a result.
I relented recently and , to my surprise, 1909 installed without a hitch. I believe it was mainly intended as bug fixes for 1903.
As far as I'm aware it had no new features of any significance.

FWIW I have build 18363.836 on this Windows tablet
I updated both of my laptops to 1909 a while back.
This was a cumulative update to 1909, but still took a while to download and install. Slows the computer down a fair bit when installing as well.:(

As I said, this was a just Heads Up, take it as you will.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Instead of a restore point you need an image. Restore points are over written or will be deleted after the space on hard disk you've set for this purpose is full. Having an image of the whole C drive is the safest way to go.
Creating an ISO image is a superior method of backing up. A principle reason, it allow you to restore your computer should the disk become corrupted or even totally fail. System restore points won't help you in those situations.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well I uninstalled it today. The search would not work at all after the update.
If anyone else accepts it and continues to have their search working, please let me know.

I know I've delayed the inevitable, but perhaps it will be corrected by the next time it tries.

KB4549951 was the culprit.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:54
Exactly, as soon as possibly, preferably on a fresh install. Then when you need to restore the image, it looks for the newest update, basically skipping the smaller trouble filled bridge fixes. Once the latest update happens you simply take another image and so on.

I do this on a regular basis, and could careless about what Microsoft does or virus. I am only an hour or two away from having a fresh clean image brought back from a external drive. Not to be confused with backups or restore points.

1591452404972.png

Edit: My only fear is Microsoft taking this feature away!

Last edited:

deletedT

Local time
Well I uninstalled it today. The search would not work at all after the update.
If anyone else accepts it and continues to have their search working, please let me know.

I know I've delayed the inevitable, but perhaps it will be corrected by the next time it tries.

KB4549951 was the culprit.
I’ve never used Windows search utility and never will. Windows search is not able to index mapped network drives, is very slow, there Is no live index utility and you don’t have control over file types.

I use Everything . It’s known as the fastest Search-as-you-type search engine. The first time it runs, it create the index. Everything can index a 1T byte in a minute or 2. It can index mapped network drives, you. An set file type to be indexed and a lot more options.

After the first index, Everything is on watch for any change in a drive and doesn’t need additional indexing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom