Advice on migrating Mysql/Access DB to Azure AD (1 Viewer)

Richard Horne

Local time
Today, 20:13
We use an internally-developed database system that utilises a MySQL back-end running from a server running XAMPP, connected to a Microsoft Access front-end using ODBC that runs locally from every user's computer.

We are looking to move away from the typical Microsoft Server 2012 Active Directory network to an online Azure Active Directory and Sharepoint system. I am trying to determine the best way to host our database and ensure that the connection speed is fast and snappy but also secure and locked down.

I can run the MySQL database from a web-host, but I have security concerns with opening the database up to the internet like that and wondered if there was a better solution?

Could this easily be migrated to MSSQL, SQL, Azure SQL or something else? What's the typical best approach for this scenario?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:13
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

That's a big question. I hope you find the answers you're looking for. I don't have any specific advice I can give at this point. Good luck!

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Using access with SQL Azure is fine - however unless things have changed the security relies on providing IP addresses. Fine if working from the office and home if the user has fixed IP, but not so good if users need to work from clients, on the train, in a hotel/coffee shop, etc. I don't know anything about azure active directory, but a quick look seems to indicate that it is an alternative to IP's, just requires a login process.

With regards speed, that comes down to budget. Simplistically, the more you pay, the better the response - and obviously the front end needs to be designed to take into account the requirements of working over the web - i.e. minimal data called by forms, no domain functions and the like.

Other alternatives are terminal server or citrix

edited - remote desktop is how you connect to terminal server/citrix

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Agree with everything @CJ_London has said.

With Azure AD the IP address issue should vanish. We have found that the connectivity isn't really an issue until you start moving between countries. Ping/response times are very good when connecting to a relatively local Azure Service, but for instance India to London it gets pretty slow and you have to start getting clever with how you control record movements.

Richard Horne

Local time
Following on from this, can anyone recommend a technology for quickly building web forms and reports?

I'm already proficient in PHP and MySql and can hand-code forms no problem. But I have about 100+ to build and doing it manually will take me a long, long time. I wondered if there was a technology or framework to make this easier for me?

Powerapps, React or something else?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:13
it is not likely that anything in the Access application would have to change to make this move. That is the power of Access. It provides a buffer between the FE and the BE. There is overhead to that of course but this is where you get the payoff in flexibility. Swapping one BE for another is trivial. There can be changes required when moving from Jet/ACE to ODBC if you didn't use good client/server techniques in the development but ODBC to ODBC should simply require relinking the FE. So, testing would be very easy to get started with.

Of course if you are using an ADP or unbound forms, you are looking at a complete rewrite or significant changes because neither of those methods make use of Access' RAD capabilities to use linked tables.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
You have just stumbled into the headache that is Web development.
It's a painfully slow process compared to an Access form in the hands of a skilled person.

A client has recently rebuilt a front end we developed (admittedly quite a complex one) as a web app using a team of people in the far east, and it still has taken 6 months.
When they want something changed in the process, it will be interesting to see how quickly they can react. We could do basic updates in a couple of days.

AlexAS

Local time
Today, 23:13
We use an internally-developed database system that utilises a MySQL back-end running from a server running XAMPP, connected to a Microsoft Access front-end using ODBC that runs locally from every user's computer.

We are looking to move away from the typical Microsoft Server 2012 Active Directory network to an online Azure Active Directory and Sharepoint system. I am trying to determine the best way to host our database and ensure that the connection speed is fast and snappy but also secure and locked down.

I can run the MySQL database from a web-host, but I have security concerns with opening the database up to the internet like that and wondered if there was a better solution?

Could this easily be migrated to MSSQL, SQL, Azure SQL or something else? What's the typical best approach for this scenario?
MySQL can be migrated to MSSQL or Azure SQL by Ispirer MnMTK, for example.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:13
MySQL can be migrated to MSSQL or Azure SQL by Ispirer MnMTK, for example.
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Just FYI, this is somewhat of an old thread. How are you affiliated with "Ispirer?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom