Solved Modifying the VBA of a Split Database (1 Viewer)

pooldead

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:34
I recently split a database for the first time to assist in its performance. I still have some changes I need to make to the VBA. How do I go about modifying the VBA of the split database? I have the front-end (.accde) that has the VBA but is inaccessible, and the back-end file doesn't appear to have any code.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:34
Ouch. You should have kept a copy of the unconverted .ACCDB file. If you don't have a backup copy, I'm not sure how you are going to proceed. You NEVER convert your only extant copy of the FE to an .ACCDE file.

I don't know what to do other than find a backup copy. Perhaps someone else might have a clue but I've never had to do this. For future reference, NEVER "save as .ACCDE" the only copy of the FE. Always make backup copies of the .ACCDB first. THEN do your conversion.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. As Doc said, you would update the VBA in the ACCDB copy of your FE. Then, you make a new ACCDE out of it and redistribute the new ACCDE FE to your users.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
It sounds like you may have inherited this very troubling situation, and if so, my sympathies--that's a tough one for sure.
I have definitely inherited situations before where I am like "what is this filename.copy2, .copy3, etc?" and "what are all these alternate copies over in this folder?" ... utter chaos.

Hopefully you have or can locate what appears to be the source accdb, or may have to proceed to any hacks that you can find, if any exist.

pooldead

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. As Doc said, you would update the VBA in the ACCDB copy of your FE. Then, you make a new ACCDE out of it and redistribute the new ACCDE FE to your users.
Thank you! And I apologize I should have been clearer. I do have a backup copy, I just wasn't sure where to modify. This helps for sure!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thank you! And I apologize I should have been clearer. I do have a backup copy, I just wasn't sure where to modify. This helps for sure!
That's great news! Good luck with your project.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:34
I had the luxury of setting up my own environment for this.

I had a DEV folder for development copies. Whatever was in the DEV copy was not necessarily ready for use.
I had a TEST folder for test copies of the DEV copy when I thought it was ready.
I had a STAGING folder for successful TEST copies that were about to go "public."
I had a PROD folder for whatever the end users were supposed to download as the working copy. It could have been the copy from STAGING that was converted to .ACCDE in your case, though I allowed the .ACCDB to be seen because my users all had security clearances and understood the importance of NOT dinking around with someone else's code.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 16:34
im sure you don't have an AutoUpdate FE.
just modify the vba on accdb and save it again as .accde.
distribute the accde to the user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom