Why an Accdb is better than an Mdb - The Vital Improvements (1 Viewer)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:05
In the light of a thread that was started to ask about learning resources, I thought it would be useful if there was a single thread to identify useful new features in Access since A97 or maybe A2003. ie since mdb's became accdb's

I was happy with A97, but moved to A2003 when A97 just became awkward to install. I thought it couldn't be used any longer but I think that is not actually correct. I rarely use later versions than A2003 to develop - so what am I missing that's really different and worth having.

In another thread @jdraw pointed out this very useful resource, which shows all the changes in Access versions.
Microsoft Access Version Features and Differences Comparison Matrix (fmsinc.com)

I can think of a number of concepts that I knew are available in accdb's but not in mdb's, but I expect there are many more that I didn't realise were available. Am I missing out by not using these, and are there other changes in the last 10 years or so that I should really be using? What I also don't want to do is use things in A2016/2019, but then find that users on a lower version of access can't actually use the A2016 version accdb, becuase they are still using A2010. I know there's never an issue with mdb's.

So these top four I would use, and have used occasionally.

Rich Text Strings in Text Controls
Anchoring Controls against form edges.
TempVars
Tabbed Documents - I personally prefer overlapping windows, but I can see that some users might prefer tabbed documents. I tend to have a startup switch to let a users select the option he wants.

I am aware of the following developments but I am not so sure whether I would use them.

MVF's - I wouldn't use

Split Forms - I didn't understand when I saw them, but are they actually very useful?

The Ribbon - I much prefer the old menus. I don't know if I can build a an A2003 menu in A2016, or just use A2003 menus from the AddIns on the ribbon. If I want to change an A2003 menu in A2016, do I have to change it in A2003 and then re-import it?

New Macros - I forget the exact terminology. I never used them anyway. I couldn't understand how the current version of the switchboard worked, and never went back. I use a modified A2003 switchboard.

Are there other changes I am missing out on?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
DId you mean Data Macro's when you said New Macro's?

Data Macro's can be useful if applied correctly, in a similar way to SQL triggers.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:05
Data Macro's can be useful if applied correctly, in a similar way to SQL triggers.
Totally agree. I am surprised they are not used more often, especially for audit trail purposes.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes - I think I probably did mean Data Macros. It sounds like they are important things to know about then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom