Piers Morgan & Megan Markle (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 23:38
Looks like June 13th

Are "Freeview, Sky, Virgin Media" things that basically let you watch it on your regular TV?

Does cable TV work the same there as it does here - you sign up through a local utility company (which usually has a monopoly, or close to it), and you get the signal for a pre agreed set of channels (maybe 50, 100, etc) ?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:38
Freeview is exactly what it says on the tin. Free to air (either DTV with an aerial or Freesat via a satellite dish).
In the UK to receive live TV via any method you do need a TV licence that funds the BBC.

Sky and Virgin piggyback those free to air broadcasts + their own subscription services.
Virgin is a cable-only service, and only available where they have dug up the footpaths.
Sky is a satellite subscription service (although you need a broadband connection to make the most of it, and as soon as you are connected to the interwebs, it delivers massive chunks of its content that way rather than over the airwaves as it is cheaper!)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I've just cancelled both my Netflix and Amazon services. I've watched so much over the last "Covid" year, there's nothing on there I want to watch!

I'll probably resubscribe when the next run of star Trek discovery is released!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I see Meghan Sparkle has decided to upset The Queen, with the name of the Yankee baby.

The sooner Harry sees sense and leaves the gold digging half breed the better. There was a poll a month or two ago and the Yankee half breed is the most hated female by UK public.

I heard that she has dollar signs ($) painted on her fingernails.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I've just cancelled both my Netflix and Amazon services. I've watched so much over the last "Covid" year, there's nothing on there I want to watch!

I'll probably resubscribe when the next run of star Trek discovery is released!
It as only recently I found out that Amazon sold more than just books. I'm not really into these modern sites, I'm guessing Netflix shows films all day.
Col

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 02:38
Colin....I am not a snowflake by any means. BUT...do you seriously think the term "half-breed" is not offensive? If you are doing it to get a response, then I will simply ignore it. If for some reason you think it's totally OK to use a term like that, then you need a 12-step program.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:38
Col, have to disagree. She DOES NOT have $ on her fingernails. She isn't specifically after money. It's the "soap box" that gives her the opportunity to air her views.

As to the First Amendment, I have said it before and will say it again. Modern journalism is NOT what the Founding Fathers envisioned when they described "Freedom of the Press." The basic theory of that freedom is that if you can publish the truth about things and get that truth into the hands of the voters, they can make a free and well-informed decision when they next vote.

The problem is that the press has given in to the power inherent in their position of mass influence. So they distort, warp, spin, and otherwise wreak mayhem regarding the truth. They try to use their influence to direct elections. Look at what happened with Donald Trump's second run at office. Look at the incredible amount of influence the Liberal Press had to exert - but the best they could do is to get a 4-seat advantage in the House of Representatives and a tie in the Senate. Their only advantage is Kamala Harris, who gets to break ties in the Senate by virtue of being the Vice President. And Nanci Pelosi as Speaker of the House doesn't even have THAT power because the House has an odd number of members, so can't quite so easily generate a tie.

If it were left to me, I would find some way to assess the neutrality of a given news outlet and penalize them every time they stepped over a line with regards to neutrality for NEWS items. (Don't care what they say regarding opinions as long as it is clear when they are talking opinion vs. fact.)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Colin....I am not a snowflake by any means. BUT...do you seriously think the term "half-breed" is not offensive? If you are doing it to get a response, then I will simply ignore it. If for some reason you think it's totally OK to use a term like that, then you need a 12-step program.
I have no idea what a 'snowflake' is, apart from the correct meaning.
You didn't like the term 'half caste' now you don't like the term 'half breed' even though Cher had a big hit with a song of the same name. Which is why I chose to use it.
It must be wonderful to always be on the moral high ground, even though words are cheap. Say one thing and think another. Pour scorn on another member, and criticise their posts. Make out that you are perfect, I suppose that's the way yanks are brought up - hate your next door neighbour but don't forget to say Grace.

Never heard of a 12 step programme.
Remember, I live alone and rarely see people to talk to, so I'm not well up with current slang, I talk to my fish in the garden pond and talk to my plants in the garden. The last person I spoke to was the checkout girl at the supermarket four days ago.
Col

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
hate your next door neighbour but don't forget to say Grace.
"Eve of Destruction" - Great song

It isn't about moral high ground, Lords knows I have no claim to that and I have used worse terms in the not so distant past and will probably use them again.

Not the issue and I believe you know that. It comes down to being appropriate and civil. Your comment is rude and insensitive and again, I KNOW you know this.

Had a certain member (one I ignore and have NO respect for) used that term the mods would have banned him forthwith. You should not get a pass simply because you possess a higher level of eloquence and can tell someone to "digest fecal matter" instead of "eat shit".

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:38
Col, simply because you claim no knowledge of it (and I believe you), here is the idea of a 12-step program.

If you are addicted to something (most commonly, narcotic drugs or alcohol), there is a "group therapy" type of thing involving what is called a "12-step program" that, as you progress through your ability to honor these steps, you break the cycle of addiction.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
His feigned naiveté in the past has been somewhat comical. In this instance it is just rude - not that I mind, but if it wont be tolerated by others it should not be tolerated at all.

I'm not a prude or a "right-fighter", but I DO try to be fair and consistent.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
"Eve of Destruction" - Great song

It isn't about moral high ground, Lords knows I have no claim to that and I have used worse terms in the not so distant past and will probably use them again.

Not the issue and I believe you know that. It comes down to being appropriate and civil. Your comment is rude and insensitive and again, I KNOW you know this.

Had a certain member (one I ignore and have NO respect for) used that term the mods would have banned him forthwith. You should not get a pass simply because you possess a higher level of eloquence and can tell someone to "digest fecal matter" instead of "eat shit".
In 20 odd years as a member here. I have never used language like that. I don't use foul language generally and certainly not on a public forum. I don't slag off other members (unlike some superior Yanks here).

It may interest you that I do tone down my comments regarding Miss Sparkle, I have heard much worse on the TV news by members of the public, and read in newspapers. My comments re Miss Sparkle are the same as millions of British people.

May I suggest if people (Yanks mainly) don't like my comments, then use the ignore button, and shut up and ignore it.
One thing I can say truthfully is that I speak what I think, I'm not a hypocrit, what you see is what you get. I was like it at school and I'm like it 60 years later. If you don't like it, that's your problem, live with it, we have much worse things to worry about. But for christ's sake don't try to be two faced, it never works and is as transparent as glass.

Col

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
But for christ's sake don't try to be two faced, it never works and is as transparent as glass.
I really do not know where that came from, I was trying to have a conversation with you but all you know how to do is lash out at anyone who takes a different view than you. At no point did you even address the question I asked you but used deflection to side-step it as usual.

If anyone here has a superiority complex, that person is you. You are a sad, pathetic, rude, devoid of manners poor excuse for a human being.

Yep, we're done here.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
You really need to learn to say what you mean. Just say it and try not to be so subtle, you'll feel better I'm sure.

Oh, in answer to your question, I prefer the term 'half-caste' as it harks back to the days of the British Empire.

Perhaps one of you Yanks could answer my question. Why is this Floyd character been singled out as a martyr when US police killed over 1000 people in 2020.

Col

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
To begin I am a bit on your side Colin, with regard to words and terminology and what they mean and don't mean.

I recall a word in common use when I was at school "spastik" it went out of favour, I think due to the fact it was used as a derogatory term. It was quickly replaced with I believe "retard". Retard suffered the same fate and I don't know what will happen when saying that somebody is "physically challenged" gets turned, and distorted in the same way.

There's something inherently wrong with this this methodology? ideology? I'm thinking of starting a separate thread to explore it.

However, Even though I know it's pointless, I need to address your behaviour.

I'm not addressing you Colin, because you know, deaf ears and all that!

I have tried to have you banned but you always seem to survive.

I actually thought recently, that you had changed. But there's the saying about about a leopard & spots.

You won't change will you, you can't change can you!

It might benefit others if they could see you as I see you. And I saw you recently in in an excellent film I strongly recommend anyone should watch. It had me sat on the edge of my seat, God knows why, it wasn't that sort of film!

It was a combination of the story the actors and directors.

The film is on Netflix and it's called "Mrs Lowry and Son"

Seen "Mrs. Lowry & Son" on Netflix yet?

This is a genius level film.

And that's you that is Colin, not the son, no, Lowry's mother!

She is an excellent example of a mysterious and evil type of person that I have been fortunate enough to only run into once before, that is a "wrong footer"... it's a type of troll.

See the film for more information....

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
My view goes from my last post(#56) to yours (#59) so I have no idea what has been said, nor do I give a fat rats arse. Some folks are just unreasonable and only find joy in "stirring it".

I like a good ribbing as much as anyone but as Popeye is famous for saying: "I's had all I's can stand, and I's cant stands no more!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom