Backend Tables all hidden and cannot unhide (1 Viewer)

Curtis Hauser

Local time
Today, 11:22
Somehow backed tables are all hidden - actually all Access objects because I also have 1 form object in the backend no longer visible either (Navigation Pane attached). Frontend forms and reports all working, so tables still there, although I cannot visually confirm them in the backend directly. I am able to create a query in the backend, right click on the table(s) in the query and pull up the table in Design mode etc. But still, no way to unhide ANY tables using Navigation Options (see attached). I saw an article somewhere indicating there's a table property used to hide / unhide but I do not see any - also attached. Another thread about a similar scenario indicates compact and repair may have caused this although I'm not certain about timing. I just know I went to back up the backend and found the tables not visible. I did make a backup and perform a compact and repair which seems to have completed successfully although nothing changed regarding object visibility. There does not seem to be a built in way to remedy this.

I did create a new blank database and successfully imported all the objects from the backend BUT it was unable to copy the relationships, which worst case I could recreate. I hate to do this when I have not discovered root cause since it could re-occur.

Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Navigation Options.PNG
    Navigation Options.PNG
    15.8 KB · Views: 329
  • Table Properties.PNG
    Table Properties.PNG
    7.8 KB · Views: 324
  • Navigation Pane.PNG
    Navigation Pane.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 328

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:22
Hi. I don't understand. Are we talking about a split database? If so, which one lost the nav pane objects, the front end or the bac end?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:22
You may have set the hidden property to true (easily overcome but often used as a minor deterrent to users to mess with the objects)

go to file>options>current database, then select navigation options and tick 'show hidden objects'. They should then be visible in a lighter font colour

to remove the hidden attribute, right click on the object in the navigation window, select properties and untick 'hidden'

Curtis Hauser

Local time
Hi. I don't understand. Are we talking about a split database? If so, which one lost the nav pane objects, the front end or the bac end?
Yes - it's a split database. The backend has "lost the nav pane objects".

Curtis Hauser

Local time
You may have set the hidden property to true (easily overcome but often used as a minor deterrent to users to mess with the objects)

go to file>options>current database, then select navigation options and tick 'show hidden objects'. They should then be visible in a lighter font colour

to remove the hidden attribute, right click on the object in the navigation window, select properties and untick 'hidden'
I wish it was that easy. That was the 1st thing I tried (and attached an image of the Navigation Options dialog to my original post). I did follow your instructions again anyway just to be certain, then closed and reopened the database, which is required for such a change to take effect, to no avail. No change. All objects hidden / not visible. Attached a 2nd image of the Navigation Options for reference.

Attachments

• Navigation Options 2.PNG
    Navigation Options 2.PNG
    17.7 KB · Views: 324

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I see you have ticked the show system objects and they are not showing either. Can you open the mysysobjects table and check the type of objects that are there

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes - it's a split database. The backend has "lost the nav pane objects".
In that case, I think importing the tables to a new file, like you did, was the best approach.

I did create a new blank database and successfully imported all the objects from the backend BUT it was unable to copy the relationships, which worst case I could recreate.
When you import the tables to a new file using the External Data Wizard, click on the Options button and make sure Import Relationships is checked.

1637775660306.png

Curtis Hauser

Local time
I see you have ticked the show system objects and they are not showing either. Can you open the mysysobjects table and check the type of objects that are there
Not sure how to do that when I cannot even see the table mysysobjects

Curtis Hauser

Local time
In that case, I think importing the tables to a new file, like you did, was the best approach.

When you import the tables to a new file using the External Data Wizard, click on the Options button and make sure Import Relationships is checked.

View attachment 96367
Thank you for your expeditious input. I thought I remembered there being an Import Relationships check box but unfortunately when I did the import this time there was no Relationships check box. I punted and created all the relationships since the # of tables and relationships is small. Wish I understood why there was no Relationships check box AND even more importantly the root cause of my database objects vanishing. Seems unacceptable. Definitely concerns me going forward with an app for dozens of users 24/7. Again, much appreciated input / feedback / suggestions.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thank you for your expeditious input. I thought I remembered there being an Import Relationships check box but unfortunately when I did the import this time there was no Relationships check box. I punted and created all the relationships since the # of tables and relationships is small. Wish I understood why there was no Relationships check box AND even more importantly the root cause of my database objects vanishing. Seems unacceptable. Definitely concerns me going forward with an app for dozens of users 24/7. Again, much appreciated input / feedback / suggestions.
Unfortunately, "stuff" can happen anytime. Make sure you have a good backup process in place, just in case...

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not sure how to do that when I cannot even see the table mysysobjects
use a query - SELECT * FROM msysObjects

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom