Continuous subform on a continuous form (1 Viewer)

GaryGruebbeling

Local time
Today, 07:02
I am working on replacing a Paradox application with a MS Access database.

Paradox allows a continuous subform on a continuous form. MS Access does not allow this.

I have been able to place the subform in the parent's form footer. But this requires, the user to navigate through the parent's records to see the data in the subform.

Has anyone created a solution that allows a form to display/enter data for 3 tables (tableA, tableB, tableC) where tableC is a 1 to many relationship to tableB, and tableB is a 1 to many relationship to tableA?

Thanks,

Gary

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 20:02
in short datasheet with subdatasheet.

GaryGruebbeling

Local time
A datasheet with a subdatasheet does work, but it seems like the user will have to expand the subdatasheet by clicking "+". Is there a method to have the subdatasheets to appear expanded?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:02
Has anyone created a solution that allows a form to display/enter data for 3 tables (tableA, tableB, tableC) where tableC is a 1 to many relationship to tableB, and tableB is a 1 to many relationship to tableA?
Sure. This very possible with Access, but you'll have to conform to its restrictions. For example, you already mentioned that the user has to select or navigate to the parent record before it can display the appropriate child records. Otherwise, how will you know which parent record the child belongs?

The only other option I could imagine is by using a report to display the data, but that won't allow you to enter or edit the data.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:02
Yes you can have multiple layers of subdatasheets and you can have them expanded automatically using code.
This shows an example of multiple subdatasheets (partly expanded).

4633632991.png

However, I would strongly discourage you from doing this because form performance will suffer by having multiple tables open at once and because most users find them confusing to work with

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:02
Surely you could achieve this with linked subforms - it's only three forms deep, or am I missing something?
Perhaps a mock-up of a picture of the desired layout would help clarify what the problem is?

GaryGruebbeling

Local time
Thanks for the replies, I think I can make it work with a datasheet that contains a subdatasheet.

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom