student debt forgiveness (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:38
When the people who got their loans canceled realize they actually do have to pay it back though skyrocketing taxes and inflation, there will be some mashing of teeth.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 12:38
When the people who got their loans canceled realize they actually do have to pay it back though skyrocketing taxes and inflation, there will be some mashing of teeth.
Do you really think any of these people will actually have the intelligence make that correlation?
Also consider, with the degree of deficit spending we have; what is the point of taxation? Why tax people, when we simply print more money?
Technically, taxes are meant to fund programs. Seems that those days all long gone.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time

Maybe they're within the group that doesn't pay taxes in the first place and all the "services" they receive come from OUR paychecks.
Those people tend to just keep voting for more services.

"No taxation without representation".

Well taxation is a given, there's no use debating it in the modern age, so I've got an idea:

No representation without taxation.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
"No taxation without representation".

Well taxation is a given, there's no use debating it in the modern age, so I've got an idea:

No representation without taxation.
I've been pushing the concept that if you receive government subsidies (welfare) in excess of your income, that you should not be eligible to vote. Additionally, that the voting age be raised to 25, where the person has had a few more years of life experiences and won't be as susceptible to politicians offering shiny "free" stuff. Cheap student loans being one of those shiny objects that have now become a nightmare to many.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Students who have paid off their school loans will not be eligible.
Who are the stupid people in this fiasco? The people who were responsible and paid their debts or the irresponsible people who took on debt they shouldn't have and now can't pay it or won't.

It is exactly the same shell game as the mortgage loan melt-down of 2008. Idiotic or no oversite of loan provisions, credit worthiness of the borrower, or accurate evaluation of property by the government agencies assigned to protect us or at least that's how they justify all the rules and all the separate agencies.

Social "justice" programs have no accountability. The laws sound "good" so therefore, they must be "good" is all the Democrats (and the Republicans who vote with them) vote on. Shouldn't someone be certifying the programs of "for profit" institutions, especially if MY money is on the line? Oh, that's right. It is "other people's money" so no one in government ever cares even a little bit if they get value for the money spent.

DJT had it right. He pushed to remove two rules for every new one imposed and the deep state hated him for it.

Is anyone talking about cancelling the programs that wasted all this money on institutions that were lying and cheating students and WE the PEOPLE? This scheme was going on for years. Why didn't anyone stop it? Surely there were complaints all along. This is the total incompetence of government workers. It is not their money so they just don't care.

I can't begin to tell you how incompetent Medicare is. About 6 years ago, one of my doctors made a billing error. I'm assuming it was an honest error. Some clerk doing the coding typed a 5 instead of a 6 or something and my insurance (Medicare) is being billed $2,000 for a procedure that never happened. Being a good person, I tried to fix it. For the next 9 months, I spent at least an hour on the phone every single month between Medicare, Humana (my secondary carrier), and the doctor's office. Do you think this ever got rectified? No it didn't. I eventually gave up in frustration. Ultimately it was my money (tax dollars) but I couldn't get it fixed and since I didn't have any bullets for my you know what, I couldn't just off them all. Every person I talked to at Medicare was just too stupid to understand the mistake even though the doctor's office, to their credit, tried several times to fix it. They literally couldn't understand why I was bothering them. I wasn't being billed $2,000 so why did I even care?

My daughter just spent over two hours at the DMV yesterday trying to renew her driver's license. It only took 4 lines. The line to get assigned to a line because people coming in aren't capable of reading signs and getting in the correct line so you stand in line to be assigned a line. Then you get the paperwork because you can't get it ahead of time. Then you get back in line to hand it in. Then you get in the line to get your picture taken. Then you wait until they call your name when it is done.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Who are the stupid people in this fiasco? The people who were responsible and paid their debts or the irresponsible people who took on debt they shouldn't have and now can't pay it or won't.

It is exactly the same shell game as the mortgage loan melt-down of 2008. Idiotic or no oversite of loan provisions, credit worthiness of the borrower, or accurate evaluation of property by the government agencies assigned to protect us or at least that's how they justify all the rules and all the separate agencies.

Social "justice" programs have no accountability. The laws sound "good" so therefore, they must be "good" is all the Democrats (and the Republicans who vote with them) vote on. Shouldn't someone be certifying the programs of "for profit" institutions, especially if MY money is on the line? Oh, that's right. It is "other people's money" so no one in government ever cares even a little bit if they get value for the money spent.

DJT had it right. He pushed to remove two rules for every new one imposed and the deep state hated him for it.

Is anyone talking about cancelling the programs that wasted all this money on institutions that were lying and cheating students and WE the PEOPLE? This scheme was going on for years. Why didn't anyone stop it? Surely there were complaints all along. This is the total incompetence of government workers. It is not their money so they just don't care.

I can't begin to tell you how incompetent Medicare is. About 6 years ago, one of my doctors made a billing error. I'm assuming it was an honest error. Some clerk doing the coding typed a 5 instead of a 6 or something and my insurance (Medicare) is being billed $2,000 for a procedure that never happened. Being a good person, I tried to fix it. For the next 9 months, I spent at least an hour on the phone every single month between Medicare, Humana (my secondary carrier), and the doctor's office. Do you think this ever got rectified? No it didn't. I eventually gave up in frustration. Ultimately it was my money (tax dollars) but I couldn't get it fixed and since I didn't have any bullets for my you know what, I couldn't just off them all. Every person I talked to at Medicare was just too stupid to understand the mistake even though the doctor's office, to their credit, tried several times to fix it. They literally couldn't understand why I was bothering them. I wasn't being billed $2,000 so why did I even care?

My daughter just spent over two hours at the DMV yesterday trying to renew her driver's license. It only took 4 lines. The line to get assigned to a line because people coming in aren't capable of reading signs and getting in the correct line so you stand in line to be assigned a line. Then you get the paperwork because you can't get it ahead of time. Then you get back in line to hand it in. Then you get in the line to get your picture taken. Then you wait until they call your name when it is done.
And don't even get me started on the so-called "cost of college", which is often touted as $100k plus.

Who are these idiots paying $100k for a bachelor's? Really , they are too dumb to bother with college in the first place, or only became smart too late.

Have they not considered community college for the first 2 years? Being a good high school student, most high schools will allow you to get college credits nowadays enough to where by the time you get your HS diploma, you're halfway done with community college.
Then transfer to an in-state college as a resident with resident rates. Now if you still can't afford it, go part time in the evenings and work full time and take on ZERO DEBT, how about that?

And I haven't even started in on the concept of scholarships, if you are a halfway decent student, you're getting 30-60% of this paid in the first place.

My kids are both approximately 2/3 done with University and have yet to pay a dime. But we actually tried NOT to spend money on it, rather than just going at it blindly.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I am actually surprised at how good DMV's (here in AZ) have gotten. The other day I went in for an appointment to get my "travel ID", (the new drivers license that actually will function in airports come next spring when the old ones won't), and it was pretty painless. A minor annoyance: There were no chairs of any kind (of course they blame "Because Covid", like everyone's doing for everything), but it wasn't too bad.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
One of my granddaughters went to the same college as her mother so we have a real example of the outrageous fee growth. My daughter graduated in 1995 from a state college and tuition was $1500 per semester at that time. Using a growth calculator that calculates what the same tuition would be in today's dollars. The tuition would be $2600 per semester. My granddaughter's tuition was, wait for it, drum roll, $15,000 dollars per semester. That's a lot of money for most people to pull out of their back pocket. But she worked and my daughter and I contributed so she came out debt free. And the cost inflation can be blamed almost entirely on the government trying to "help" students by giving them student loans regardless of their qualifications or plan of study or if their major could even conceivably lead to a job that would pay back the cost of tuition. So, Mikayla's cost of tuition for three years was $90,000 and that doesn't cover the cost of a car for commuting. At least she could live at home. She did have a lot of college credits from high school and she was able to take enough extra credits each year to finish in three years. And she finished summa cum laude:)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:38
When I got my degrees, they were from a "community college" a.k.a. "commuter college" that had a pretty decent graduate program. I didn't go to one of the "flagship" colleges that so many states have. It is a sad commentary that too many folks believe the name of the college is actually worth something. That is true for a small number of colleges but for most colleges the important thing is you finished your degree work.

When I was working in private industry, I was the appointed assistant to our HR department when hiring programmers. The first question we asked was whether the person finished their degree. If the answer was NO then the next question was why not. We were looking for people who could stick to a long-haul work concept. If they could not, we didn't look favorably. OK, having an M.I.T. grad for engineering or a Yale grad for business - absolutely great. But having a Nichols State University grad who actually finished the work would still get the job first if the M.I.T. or Yale grad only finished three years of a four-year program.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When I was hiring programmers, I hired people who went to two-year technical colleges. Their training was more relevant because the tech school programs could change more quickly to meet local business requirements and the teachers were usually professionals who worked in the field rather than academics who were long on theory but short on experience. Plus the the programmers already had work experience and knew a lot more about how business worked than someone straight out of a 4-year school. They also had the gumption to better themselves.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Student debt cancellation = party time 🎉🥳🎉🥳
Not to also repeat the mantra that demonstrating financial responsibility by paying off your debts now means that your are a fool. Why be financially responsible when government will give you "free" money for being irresponsible. Once again taxpayer get screwed.

Last edited:

conception_native_0123

Local time
Why be financially responsible when government will give you "free" money for being irresponsible.
my personal situation is fairly unique. i never paid one dime of my loans and they were forgiven long ago. but that was before any of the current crap that is going on.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Regardless it will be passed on to the consumer, so if you consume anything you will pay more in the future

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
my personal situation is fairly unique. i never paid one dime of my loans and they were forgiven long ago. but that was before any of the current crap that is going on.
That means that I paid for your education. Did I waste my money? What are you going to do for me for free?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As it happens, a federal judge just enjoined the loan forgiveness program, initially on technical grounds (failure to follow procedures). How long that lasts, we'll have to wait and see.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Mostly on the grounds it's unconstitutional and must go through congress. Biden knew that but made the decision anyway.

But hey the promise was good enough to get some freeloaders to vote.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
The Biden administration (disingenuously) successfully bribed students with debt to vote for Democrats. Now that a judge has temporatily blocked the program, I suspect that the Biden administration will quietly drop the proposal. The optics of trying to continue with the program are very bad. It is unconstitutional and there will be a Republican Congress that would attempt to stop it should the Biden administration tries to pursue it.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
It's going to the Supreme Court where it will be tossed, Biden knows this.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I wonder if any of the students will realize that they were scammed by the Biden administration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom