Boxing Ring (2 Viewers)

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:12
TessB said:
If we had stayed British colonies, where do you think we would be now?
That's an extremely interesting question. I'm sure we'll see some thought-provoking answers...:D

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
TessB said:
If we had stayed British colonies, where do you think we would be now?
And, would GWB have had a chance as PM?

Would there have been a GWB, or worse no Jazz no Elvis, no Buddy.. heck the mind boggles at the possibilites, mind you Australia was only developed after we got kicked out of America so no Mike375? all clouds can have silver linings:D

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
As a second thought if the moderates in England had prevailed and the colonists had been treated responsibily , stayed as colonies would the balance of power shifted so that the mother country became second fiddle? Would the enormous power such a combination would have had have rotally corrupted its people? would it have developed into a world government ? Would... hey you could go on ..for well ages.

Brian

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
Would... hey you could go on ..for well ages.
That's a good point. I guess so much has happened in the last 200 years that it'd be pretty much impossible to even make a guess as to how events would have played out differently.

Would the economic and social tensions that spawned the U.S. civil war have gotten to that level if the British government still controlled the colonies?

Would World Wars I & II even have occurred if Britian completely controlled the American industrial might?

Would the United Nations exist? Would anyone know the difference?

How would events have been different if no President of the U.S.A. had been involved?

Too many questions...

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Today, 10:12
Would the Indians still be a thriving race?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
TessB said:
Hell no, the British taught us all we needed to know about conquering continents.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
TessB said:
Lol...who sent the people that killed the Indians in the first place?

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Kraj said:
Lol...who sent the people that killed the Indians in the first place?
I don't know... America seems to bear the blame and the stigma of committing genocide. We were alone in our barbarism, weren't we?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Actually the colonists gone on pretty well with the indians who fought on both sides during the war of independence, it was only the massive expansion of America that saw the major conflicts take place, and i don't think the same happened in Canada.

Brian

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
Actually the colonists gone on pretty well with the indians who fought on both sides during the war of independence, it was only the massive expansion of America that saw the major conflicts take place, and i don't think the same happened in Canada.

Brian

You’re referring to the plains Indians. It’s easy to lump them all together. But the conflicts were decades apart.

The genocide of the plains Indians was indeed a purely American endeavor, battle hardened soldiers form the Civil War were put in charge of dealing with the “Indian problem”.

That’s the period where we killed all the bison to deplete their food supply.

The prier conflicts had been settled more or less by the time of the American Revolution. By both the settlers and the Europeans.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Are you saying that the early settlers didnot get along with the Indians?
I know the contacts with the Indians took place over centuries not just decades before the massacres, that was my point.

Brian

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
Are you saying that the early settlers didnot get along with the Indians?
I know the contacts with the Indians took place over centuries not just decades before the massacres, that was my point.

Brian

I’m agreeing with you. The conflicts were not linier in the eastern part of the continent, as you said they got along and they had wars. There were many different tribes and many different relationships. The conflicts in the east go all the way back to the 1500s.

The conflicts on the plains were very linier and relentless until the natives were either dead or in concentration camps.

Most of the movies you’ve seen are about them. With horses the Spaniards brought over 200 years earlier.

I am no expert by any means. I haven’t actually thought about this in years. It’s interesting to rethink it in the context of the current political climate though.

I’m part native myself, actually my mother is a legal native. It’s surprising to think how little I actually know about my own ancestors.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
The conflicts on the plains were very linier and relentless until the natives were either dead or in concentration camps.
That's 'cause the white man pinched their land to make way for the ironhorse

I’m part native myself, actually my mother is a legal native.

What's "legal native" mean anyway, aren't all those who have legal citizenship regarded as legal?:confused:

It’s surprising to think how little I actually know about my own ancestors.

and shameful:p did your Mum not discuss her ancestry?

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Rich said:
Sure, but all she said was that her prom theme was "Fire":p

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
That's 'cause the white man pinched their land to make way for the ironhorse

What's "legal native" mean anyway, aren't all those who have legal citizenship regarded as legal?:confused:

Legal Native is defined as a minimum ¼ Native American

Yes my mother did discuss it. Records from that part of the country during those times were ephemeral at best. My mother’s native ancestors were actually 3 generations removed but marriages from 2 different branches of our tree gave us twice the percentage. So she’s actually 2/8ths instead of 1/4th

Texas was a frontier longer than a lot of other places. Truly its population didn’t really take off until after Air-conditioning was invented.

Lots of records got lost and we had to rely on folk-lore. Some of it was very erroneous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom