use TV as an external monitor for laptop (1 Viewer)

muffin

Local time
Today, 17:53
HI

I've a acer aspire 5633WLMi laptop and a Phillips 42PFL5522D TV. I want to be able to view the image from my laptop on my TV (hoping to save time converting films etc). I bought a cable that has an HDMI in one end and a DVI on the other end. Then, I used an adapter to adapt DVI to VGA because my computer has VGA socket. Once connected, it did not show any image on the TV.work! Am I using the wrong cables or should I be using another cable as well? I've read that I may need to change the output on my laptop to external monitor, however don't know how to do this, I'm using OS Windows Vista, any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
I've read that I may need to change the output on my laptop to external monitor, however don't know how to do this,

First thing I would check is your output to the VGA socket is well outputting (it doesn't by default on most laptops) to do this hold the Fn button (bottom left) and hit F5 or sometimes its F8 but it will have a symbol like this or sometimes this

This will toggle between Laptop only, Laptop and VGA output, VGA output only, if you don't see an image on the Laptop screen you know your sending a signal on the VGA output socket :p

Though be aware depending on what program you are using sometime this will not work for playing video clips, Media Player has issues on certain versions, you'll only see a blank video. Try the above first if that does work post back :)

muffin

Local time
Thanks, tried the F5 button but no joy. The TV still shows a blue screen. I've checked another web site that states that I need to change the video output format on the computer to 50Hz or 60Hz.
ie:
"This TV support only the video format of 50Hz and 60Hz refresh rates" and that "you need to change the correct video format on your external device (such as DVD, DVDR, Set Top box,etc) that the TV support. Please refer to the external device user manual on how to change the video format."

Which unfortunately is goobley-gook to me:) Do you know how I'd change this?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Which unfortunately is goobley-gook to me:) Do you know how I'd change this?

Sorry for the late reply - to check this setting right click on the desktop and go to Properties > Settings highlight the second screen click Advanced > Monitor - it should auto detect what your monitor supports and adjust it accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom