Any Americans want to sign this? (3 Viewers)

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:34
"The only times Palin has commanded the Alaska National Guard was on operations inside her state, which have included fighting wildfires and providing standby security for a meeting of the International Whaling Commission in May 2007, according to reports."

From a leftist thing because they use the phrase "was on operations inside her state." DUH. After the Guard crosses state borders (any state, any governor) the authority shifts to the President as the Gov passes the baton.

If you want to put proper scope on this or even if nothing, what has Obama or Biden done for anything in this regard to ensuring mobilization/demobilization and management on a state scale?

-dK

Ok, so she mobilized the national guard to provide security for a meeting. I can totally see how that is relevant to being qualified to be the president.:rolleyes:

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:34
If you want to put proper scope on this or even if nothing, what has Obama or Biden done for anything in this regard to ensuring mobilization/demobilization and management on a state scale?

-dK

About the same as Bush during Katrina:rolleyes:

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Ooo, good point. It's quite possible they're deluded as well. Still, doesn't make it any better. :/
I agree with you there:)

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
I agree with you there:)

Something comes to mind about paving roads with good intentions . . .

I particularly liked Obama's statement when asked what to do about "evil", he said:

Now, the one thing that I think is very important for us is to have humility in how we approach the issue of confronting evil, but, you know, a lot of evil has been perpetrated based on the claim that we were trying to confront evil. And I think one thing that's very important is having some humility in recognizing that, you know, just because we think our intentions are good doesn't always mean that we're going to be doing good

That's the kind of humility and thoughfulness I like to see in a leader.

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Today, 03:34
About the same as Bush during Katrina:rolleyes:

Oh? I am sure it didn't help that Clinton cut the funding for the maintenance of the levees saying it was 'state business' and for them to figure it out for themself.

Doesn't matter though, take the light off the question and divert .. is all the same =]

-dK

Joe8915

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I will repeat myself since I guess I wasn't clear. I will ALWAYS fear my government and I will ALWAYS criticize whoever is in charge. I feel that it is my duty as a citizen to pay attention to what my leaders are doing, and complain when they get off track.

I'm not sure what relevance visiting a veteran's hospital has. I have spoken to many veterans, although none in the hospital, and I have also spoken to many veterans who share my concern that this war should never have been started. What is your point?

I'm not sure what relevance visiting a veteran's hospital has............. that pretty much says it all.

Its all about Alsia and HER point and HER view. What a shame and just to think they laid down there life for people like you, so you can criticize our government, I bet that makes you feel good.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
I'm not sure what relevance visiting a veteran's hospital has............. that pretty much says it all.

Its all about Alsia and HER point and HER view. What a shame and just to think they laid down there life for people like you, so you can criticize our government, I bet that makes you feel good.

Well if you can explain what visiting a veteran's hospital has to do with the reason why we invaded Iraq, I would be happy to listen.

I think it is a shame that we asked them to lay down their lives for no good reason.

Joe8915

Registered User.
Local time
Well if you can explain what visiting a veteran's hospital has to do with the reason why we invaded Iraq, I would be happy to listen.

I think it is a shame that we asked them to lay down their lives for no good reason.

Alisa, I give up.

May the best man win and I WILL SUPPORT WHO EVER WINS.

JUST BECAUSE I AM PROUD TO BE AMERICAN AND WHO I AM.

AND YOU WILL NEVER BUT NEVER QUESTION MY GOVERNMNET, BECAUSE IT THE BEST GOVERNMENT IN THE WORLD.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 01:34
So then it must be too bad that a free country would allow people to speak their minds. Should they ALL be repressed and should NEVER be permitted to even question the government?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Alisa, I give up.

AND YOU WILL NEVER BUT NEVER QUESTION MY GOVERNMNET, BECAUSE IT THE BEST GOVERNMENT IN THE WORLD.
I somehow doubt that many non americans would rate it the best in the world.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Alisa, I give up.

Whereas blind patriotism involves uncritical support for one's country, constructive patriots believe in positive change through questioning and criticizing national practices.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Alisa, I give up.

Joe, We are already up to 130 posts, why give up now? I think you must have missed American history class. Criticizing the government is the most patriotic thing you can do. I guess this is a fundamental difference in our views. However, I am quite sure that history is on my side on this one. I also beg to differ with your statement that our government is the best. By what measure is it the best?

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Whereas blind patriotism involves uncritical support for one's country, constructive patriots believe in positive change through questioning and criticizing national practices.

I would like to second this, although I am not sure the magnified font is quite necessary. Are your eyes bothering you Rich?

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Not according to this, Bush cut it to fund the search for oil in Iraq
http://www.factcheck.org/bush/is_bush_to_blame_for_new_orleans.html

I agree; and showed agreement by saying, "It didn't help that ... " I just like the fact of how everyone likes to lay blame on one person and never can be open minded enough to even consider that a problem just doesn't crop up out of nowhere and that blame can be shared.

What factcheck didn't do was go back far enough. Being who they are and what they do, they only go back to the beginning of Bush's term of office. Factcheck it ..

Code:
A $120 million hurricane project, approved and financed annually from 1965 was killed by the Clinton administration after being approved by the Army Corps of Engineers. It was designed to protect more than 140,000 West Bank residents east of the Harvey Canal. 

On June 9, John Zirschky, the acting assistant secretary of the Army and the official who refused to forward the report to Congress, sent a memo to the corps, saying the recommendation for the project "is not consistent with the policies and budget priorities reflected in the President's Fiscal Year 1996 budget. Accordingly, I will not forward the report to the Office of Management and Budget for clearance." 
  The following year, Congress approved more for flood-control projects than was recommended by the Clinton administration. Likewise, in 1999, Congress and the Clinton administration agreed to spend only $47 million on New Orleans area hurricane flood control projects – half of what local officials had requested.

These are pervasive every where with colloboration from independant sources verifying it. Ironic that factcheck missed all of this. It just seems that Bush kept the budget status quo and it was Congress each time that upped it by a few bucks which wasn't enough.
-dK

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
I agree; and showed agreement by saying, "It didn't help that ... " I just like the fact of how everyone likes to lay blame on one person and never can be open minded enough to even consider that a problem just doesn't crop up out of nowhere and that blame can be shared.

What factcheck didn't do was go back far enough. Being who they are and what they do, they only go back to the beginning of Bush's term of office. Factcheck it ..

Code:
A $120 million hurricane project, approved and financed annually from 1965 was killed by the Clinton administration after being approved by the Army Corps of Engineers. It was designed to protect more than 140,000 West Bank residents east of the Harvey Canal. 

On June 9, John Zirschky, the acting assistant secretary of the Army and the official who refused to forward the report to Congress, sent a memo to the corps, saying the recommendation for the project "is not consistent with the policies and budget priorities reflected in the President's Fiscal Year 1996 budget. Accordingly, I will not forward the report to the Office of Management and Budget for clearance." 
  The following year, Congress approved more for flood-control projects than was recommended by the Clinton administration. Likewise, in 1999, Congress and the Clinton administration agreed to spend only $47 million on New Orleans area hurricane flood control projects – half of what local officials had requested.

These are pervasive every where with colloboration from independant sources verifying it. Ironic that factcheck missed all of this. It just seems that Bush kept the budget status quo and it was Congress each time that upped it by a few bucks which wasn't enough.
-dK

I think an interesting question is why we are willing to spend billions of tax dollars trying to protect a piece of land that *can't* be protected from hurricanes. And why we allow people who live in river beds to buy federal flood insurance. And why we spend millions of dollars flying our blackhawks out to rescue people who don't heed evacuation orders. These are all interesting questions, although I think we are getting a little far afield from the subject.

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
I think our founding father's set it up do there would always be a rolling debate so that the country would always be in the midst of improvement.

I think it is fair to critique our government but if I am in the service of my government, I only excercise my critique at the voting booth. I may have too much of a divided we fall syndrome because of my military training and will serve whomever wins provided the win is somewhat fair (asking for 100% integrity will never happen and it seems brainwashing uneducated voters has always been fair game - not pointed at this group but the masses).

As for the foreigners that don't agree this is the greatest country on earth, I am hesitant to respond except to measure it from outside observers because people are still immigrating here.

-dK

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
These are all interesting questions, although I think we are getting a little far afield from the subject.

No, it relates ... =]. My opinion says that there is no difference than a million little bail outs and one big one like we see in the housing market.

We have taken away individual responsibility. Now to bring it back ;] ... Nationalized medicine takes away individual responsibility. If you want second-rate medicine then by all means give it to the masses. They will unknowingly get second-rate service meaning they will bilk the system and everyone's pocket books in the process without really getting quality service. Look at welfare today - noone can really survive on $130 a month for food. It's supposed to be help, not a handout. I just say that there is help and there are handouts. I am against handouts.

-dK

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
I think our founding father's set it up do there would always be a rolling debate so that the country would always be in the midst of improvement.

I think it is fair to critique our government but if I am in the service of my government, I only excercise my critique at the voting booth. I may have too much of a divided we fall syndrome because of my military training and will serve whomever wins provided the win is somewhat fair (asking for 100% integrity will never happen and it seems brainwashing uneducated voters has always been fair game - not pointed at this group but the masses).

As for the foreigners that don't agree this is the greatest country on earth, I am hesitant to respond except to measure it from outside observers because people are still immigrating here.

-dK

Ah ha! Common ground. I also believe that united we stand, divided we fall. But I don't want unity at the expense of truth.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
No, it relates ... =]. My opinion says that there is no difference than a million little bail outs and one big one like we see in the housing market.

We have taken away individual responsibility. Now to bring it back ;] ... Nationalized medicine takes away individual responsibility. If you want second-rate medicine then by all means give it to the masses. They will unknowingly get second-rate service meaning they will bilk the system and everyone's pocket books in the process without really getting quality service. Look at welfare today - noone can really survive on $130 a month for food. It's supposed to be help, not a handout. I just say that there is help and there are handouts. I am against handouts.

-dK

Did the government "bail you out" when they built the road that you drive on to get to work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom