How to talk to a programmer (1 Viewer)

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:13
And why should that matter? We are ALL VOLUNTEERS here and I know that there are times where I just don't want to answer a question, even though I may know the answer, because of several possible reasons:

1. I just don't feel like it.

2. It would require typing a LOT to explain (and I hate typing or writing)

3. the question seems like it could end up going off on other tangents and I just don't have the time to deal with it now.

4. And, I may just not know the answer (nobody knows EVERYTHING about Access - although there are a few which must be pretty close - and I'm not one of them)

and there may be more...

So, when you post to a forum, you get what you get and you should not expect to get anything and if you do get something you should be grateful to get something because it didn't come with a financial cost to you. All you had to provide was time and if you don't have the time to allocate to wait for an answer then you should seek PAID professional help.

Does that help explain things?

wasn't Bob clearly said it, it just depends upon the individual if he likes to answer the question or not.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:13
that may be true namliam but you see if you are going to teach a man to fish for the first time, you dont give him the tool immediately and let me him learn by the tool. what you are going to do is to show him first how the tool works by doing it yourself like so he can adopt how you do it. because you cannot just give him the tool and just say swing the fishing rod over there because thats the ways to do it.

But you know to use a fishing rod so you swing it a lot.:D If someone gives you a fishing rod with a line and tells you that will get fish then you will fugure out how to use it. And when you have to swing the fishing rod all over the place and other experiments as well then you learn a lot of other stuff on the way through.

Seriously Genesis, you need to look at yourself because plenty of us have got the results we want from blokes like namliam and others.

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
just what i've post before, this will only go into loop.

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
But you know to use a fishing rod so you swing it a lot.:D If someone gives you a fishing rod with a line and tells you that will get fish then you will fugure out how to use it. And when you have to swing the fishing rod all over the place and other experiments as well then you learn a lot of other stuff on the way through.

Seriously Genesis, you need to look at yourself because plenty of us have got the results we want from blokes like namliam and others.

yes probably plenty of you got your answers you want and need but will that plenty includes all of the posters who needs help including me?

probably you (plenty) are quick learners and are already knowledgeable on this field, but what about those who are not quick learners and still in the process of learning, do you think they will automatically grasp what are being taught?

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Look at this thread where I have posted a basic solution.

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=182756

I have given him an option of a crude way to do it. I have told him he needs the macro actions ofr copy, paste, selectobject and sendkeys. Thus he has the basis. I already have made something like he needs. But I don't have the inclination at the moment to go and retrieve it from an external hard drive that has my "tool kit"

The thread starter has two choices. Firstly, he can sit back and hope I psot back after locating what I have made and also restructure what I have made for him or the same for the others that replied. Secondly, he can sweat over the keyboard and see what he can do to get what I suggested working, just as I had to originally do.

If he decides to have a go himself then there are couple of outcomes.

1) He will be able to achieve it on his own.

2) If he can't get to the end then he will learn a lot on the way through and in addition it will be simple to provide the missing parts.

What do you think he should do.

What do you think I should do. Do you think I should locate what I have already made that does similar to what he wants, which would take some time as I am poorly organised with how I keep my tool kit. Then when I find it do you think I should spend a couple of hours altering it so he has a complete ready to go solution?

And I believe I can make you a guarantee. That guarantee will be that everyone who can answer questions will have seen the sun rise many times while they are on the key board and not bceause they got out of bed early:)

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:13
personally I despise people who deign to create more than one accounts.
Ask your mate Bobby why there are some members here with more than one user name:rolleyes:

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Ask your mate Bobby why there are some members here with more than one user name:rolleyes:

Why bother asking him? You already know he's not an administrator or moderator of the site. My reply to Boro still applies: If you suspect duplicate account, regardless whom it may be, report them to the moderators/administrators who has the tools to verify all that. I'm sure you know about that convenient Report Post button that's present on each post. Let the moderators/administrators deal with it.

puzzled

Access VUP
Local time
Why bother asking him? You already know he's not an administrator or moderator of the site. My reply to Boro still applies: If you suspect duplicate account, regardless whom it may be, report them to the moderators/administrators who has the tools to verify all that. I'm sure you know about that convenient Report Post button that's present on each post. Let the moderators/administrators deal with it.
Where on the rules for the site does it state that members are only allowed one user name?

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
ah I see, the topic seems to be off to user names in the forum. like my nick genesis, rommelgenlight, marianne, accessuser2007.

true, because we are friends here in my country, city. we share common problems. would that answer the queries.

we actually post in different forums with different username because we taught that some helpers would prefer some members in the forum. but nevermind, username is not the issue.

well still in the loop now.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
ah I see, the topic seems to be off to user names in the forum. like my nick genesis, rommelgenlight, marianne, accessuser2007.

Hmm, could be we are doing the work for a bunch of students or a consultancy.

Brian

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
Hmm, could be we are doing the work for a bunch of students or a consultancy.

Brian

Could be? dont bother your mind thinking about such things. You will never know if that is true or false. The only fact in this forum are the individuals who "Help" and those "Need Help". Regardless, if they are Old individuals, Professional, Young Adults, Students, programming experts, programming newbies, new learners and etc.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Where on the rules for the site does it state that members are only allowed one user name?
Can you give me one legitimate reason why anybody would need more than one user name on a forum. Different forums - different names Ok.

Local time
Today, 14:13
One legitimate reason: A separate login for work and home. I don't want my boss to know that I spend so much time on a forum, in case he runs across one of my posts.

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:13
Could be? dont bother your mind thinking about such things. You will never know if that is true or false. The only fact in this forum are the individuals who "Help" and those "Need Help". Regardless, if they are Old individuals, Professional, Young Adults, Students, programming experts, programming newbies, new learners and etc.

For me, your responses on this subject have basically poisoned the reputation of the username "genesis" on this site. I don't know if you have other nicknames, but I do know that I already had very little patience for you, as you seem to be unable to word your own questions comprehensibly and have an inability to understand clear advice from others. This reaction to the multiple nicknames question make me wonder who you are and what your agenda is.

That means I'll likely ignore your posts in the future if I note the user name.

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
this topic has defrayed from How to talk to a programmer to How to setup your nickname.

My main comment is that regardless how or what rules are those to be able to get the attention of the helper, it does not matter because as what Boblarson has confirmed,

therefore, rules does not apply anymore.

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
For me, your responses on this subject have basically poisoned the reputation of the username "genesis" on this site. I don't know if you have other nicknames, but I do know that I already had very little patience for you, as you seem to be unable to word your own questions comprehensibly and have an inability to understand clear advice from others. This reaction to the multiple nicknames question make me wonder who you are and what your agenda is.

That means I'll likely ignore your posts in the future if I note the user name.

Ignore my post? I have already taken that risk/situation when I have commented on this thread, because you cannot please everyone with what is the opinion or comment of the other person.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
this topic has defrayed from How to talk to a programmer to How to setup your nickname.

My main comment is that regardless how or what rules are those to be able to get the attention of the helper, it does not matter because as what Boblarson has confirmed,

Quote:

therefore, rules does not apply anymore.

But there are no rules that compel anyone to respond to a post.

As I said to you earlier, it is you that has to change, assuming that is, you want responses/answers to your questions.

One suggestion I would make is that you check various threads that have had good responses and see how the topic was started and how the topic started responded during the course of the thread.

Sometimes you simply won't get much of a response because no one is around at that time. Being On Line does not mean anything as they might not be in the frame of mind to respond to a post. Perhaps they are even looking for something for their own use. Maybe they are just scanning the forum while watching TV. Who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom