How's your church doing? (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 17:27
well vassago,

the united states government has done one hell of a job brainwashing the country's citizens into believing that all people of middle eastern descent should be looked at terrorists.

Yes they have. You can definitely put most of the blame on the terroristic actions of our ex-President. Besides causing a Nazi-like outlook on people of Middle Eastern descent, even if they have lived here their entire life, he also successfully passed laws that took away rights, mainly privacy, using the fear of another attack to promote his agenda. Ten years later, the man who claimed responsibility for actually attacking us is still at large. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I remember seeing an article recently about two people of Middle Eastern descent, I believe Egyptian, that went to visit Ground Zero to join the protest of the mosque planned near the site. They were Christian and actually had their own Christian radio show on a radio channel in California. They flew all the way to New York to join the protest, but were immediately threatened with violence by the other "Christians" who were protesting. The police actually had to pull them to safety.

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Yep, make sure the church starts the brainwashing young. :p

That reminds me, I remember a church here that offered free King Size Candy Bars to anyone who rode their bus to church on a Sunday. I always wondered how the bribery system panned out as the children got older. :rolleyes:

I'm still addicted to Snickers but no longer attend church.

Vassago

Local time
I'm still addicted to Snickers but no longer attend church.

You got a laugh out of me with that one Tess. BTW, it's good to see you 'round these parts. :)

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Thanks, Vass.
:)
I do visit weekly.... I just don't normally post unless I find something interesting and non volatile to chime in on.
LOL.... of course, religion is a VERY volatile subject, but I didn't find the thread to be volatile in the least.

Actually, it was refreshing to see most posts in this thread were people just sharing their experiences and not taking a stand on what is "right" and what is "wrong" so that everyone felt comfortable to participate without fear of judgement. Overall, I find it to be a respectful, honest discussion, and one that I am happy to add to.

Now, of course if someone wants to tell everyone why they are all going to hell, I'll have something to say about that.... and I may not be able to help myself. But at this point, it's just a "what is going on with church attendance, finance, economy, etc" and a "what lines are drawn to be considered to be extremist beliefs" discussion that is rather interesting to me.

It has the potential to take a bad turn. But so far so good. Carry on.
:)

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
if you ask anyone why they did not attend church on the weekend they will say that they did make it to bingo on Tuesday or to the Friday night community supper or whatever other activity went on...
As religious institutions both are not doing so well but as a bond for the community and the people within the area they are forefront.

One of my co-workers would tell you that she goes to a Universalist church once a week to play Dungeons and Dragons. She doesn't count that as "going to church", however, church is really about the fellowship, isn't it? I think it is great that people have a place to gather and bond. It definitely strengthens neighborhoods and communities.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:27
Like most churches in Australia those in my area are in decline.

According to Wikipedia, in the 2006 Australian census:

About 19% of the population cited "No religion" (which includes humanism, atheism, agnosticism, and rationalism), which was the fastest-growing group from 2001 to 2006, and a further 12% did not answer (the question is optional) or did not give a response adequate for interpretation.

On the whole we have high standard of education and little respect for decreed wisdom and dubious authority. I expect next year's census will continue to see the rapid decline of religion here. Very few young people have much regard for a dogma that tells them they can't do things they like to do.

We have never had anything like the powerful religious overtones seen in the US. Our initial population was by convicts rather than religious refugees and the difference in the culture is quite obvious.

The growing awareness of criminal paedophilic activities being perpetrated and covered up so widely has also led to a great degree of cynicism about the exaltation of church oligarchy.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Tomorrow, 09:27
When I hear comments about Muslim's having more potential for Terrorism I remind myself that here, in the South West Asia Pacific, we have Indonesia.

A Country of some 220 million people which is Dominated by Muslims, their Religion and beliefs. Over crowded cities and low in the world per capita wealth charts.
Yet very little by way of "trouble" exists.

I know of the Bali Bombings but compare this to what has come from other areas with a fraction of the population Indonesia has.

My point is. This Terrorism problem doesn't appear to be so "Muslim" based as some people would have us believe.

Before 9/11 the Oklahoma bombing was USA's worst Act of Violence yet Timothy could have walked around Ground Zero and not be stopped by anyone. Two peaceful people are targeted because of their looks and or clothing??

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:27
I was surprised when Obama made his big speech about "The Muslim World" in the middle east. Indonesia is the largest muslim country in the world yet was completely ignored. Obama actually lived part of his early life in Indonesia.

I am more concerned by Malaysia where Muslim intolerance and the push for Sharia Law is on the rise. I don't know about Malaysia but Indonesia has a secular constitution.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
I haven't visited Malaysia for a while but there are a lot of non Muslims there. My guess is the percentage of Muslims is less then the nearly 100% in Indonesia but this won't get in the way of one group grabbing "power". Maybe because they don't have such a strong hold, they want to take steps to increase what they have.
Malaysia never lost democracy like Indonesia did but who knows what will happen in the future.

Vassago

Local time
There's enough Muslim intolerance within the US borders than to worry about other countries. It truly makes me sad.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 14:27
Out near here our churches are all about strengthening the community and bringing people together. On Sunday there was a local fair at the community center which officially started after the mass at the catholic church. Lots of good things to check out and socializing, people brought antique farm equipment and showed them off working, steam tractors, old cars, people powered appliances, ICE CREAM (hand made that was fun for little kids to turn the crank), games and live entertainment. End of the day was a supper in the church basement.
This was one of many events through the year which is promoted and supported by the local churches, there is no 'preaching' to the people in attendance or other religious activities which seems to bother some people.

One of my co-workers would tell you that she goes to a Universalist church once a week to play Dungeons and Dragons. She doesn't count that as "going to church", however, church is really about the fellowship, isn't it? I think it is great that people have a place to gather and bond. It definitely strengthens neighborhoods and communities.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:27
This was one of many events through the year which is promoted and supported by the local churches, there is no 'preaching' to the people in attendance or other religious activities which seems to bother some people.

It's bothersome in the sense of being awkward.

I regularily attend church-based social events, even play some gospel guitar when asked.

It gets awkward when the preacher is hopeful of me joining up, I know in good heart, and me knowing how remote the chances are of that happening.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
I do not see how it could be awkward - if you have no intentions of joining the congregation but do want to contribute to the community when asked just tell him your intentions. The guessing game is contributing the awkwardness to the situation...

It's bothersome in the sense of being awkward.
I regularily attend church-based social events, even play some gospel guitar when asked.
It gets awkward when the preacher is hopeful of me joining up, I know in good heart, and me knowing how remote the chances are of that happening.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
There's enough Muslim intolerance within the US borders than to worry about other countries. It truly makes me sad.

I thought you were talking of other peoples intolerance of Muslims - that seems common enough. Thats pretty sad too.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 16:27
i am going to a class on Buddhism tonight with another christian member from our church. laughing...ummmm, wow we are really branching out now aren't we!?

in other words, we "welcome" people of different faith into our communities. ummm...OK! as long as we're not in the middle east right? (or middle east left?)

Vassago

Local time
i am going to a class on Buddhism tonight with another christian member from our church. laughing...ummmm, wow we are really branching out now aren't we!?

in other words, we "welcome" people of different faith into our communities. ummm...OK! as long as we're not in the middle east right? (or middle east left?)

Buddhism has a sort of peaceful feel to it. I went to a Buddhist temple and stayed the night while I was traveling Japan (I think there's a thread here somewhere outlining the whole trip.) It was nice.

I've also visited with one here in Jacksonville, although it wasn't a Japanese Buddhist temple. It still have a peaceful feel to it. We joined them for the evening rituals. We left there feeling really relaxed and self-aware.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 22:27
How odd, the site won't let me start a new thread from home. So, I'll just tag on to the end of this one then, hope you don't mind Adam.

My question was, what if God was to finally show itself? This could cause havoc! Naturally, believers would no longer believe because a materialisation of a God figure would negate it's "Godliness" (which is why the bible says "in the begining was the word - it was deemed too omnipotent to be limited to a word, and presumably to a form).

Sorry, I'm drivveling, it's Friday night and I'm sat like Sad Sack in front of a PC thinking the most obscure thoughts and wondering who to share them with, you guys are "it" :D

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 16:27
My question was, what if God was to finally show itself? This could cause havoc! Naturally, believers would no longer believe because a materialisation of a God figure would negate it's "Godliness" (which is why the bible says "in the begining was the word - it was deemed too omnipotent to be limited to a word, and presumably to a form). :D

jesus is the flesh form. for christians of course. are you sure believers wouldn't believe? how come jesus had followers that believed then? :confused:

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Jesus, like most other long term popular figures, gained more popularity after his death.
hard concept to understand and a bit like the fear of making a bad person into a martyr if they are assassinated.

History has proven, with Jesus also, that seeing is not always believing. The Jews, who were the closest to Jesus, didn't believe he was the son of God and still don't. The next closest group of people would be what we now know of as Arabs yet they firmly believe Jesus was just a well connected to God holly man. Not the son of God.

If my ramblings are correct, then the majority of people now believing in Jesus can trace this belief to a handful of people close to Jesus, not to a large group of people from the area where he lived.

Many films depict a situation where God appears and the people don't believe and or want Proof.

Doesn't look good for the 2nd coming. Without ID what are we supposed to do??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom