How's your church doing? (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Yesterday, 23:56
What's in like in everyone else's church? Mine is doing OK, but the finances are down because people are not giving as much money to support. I guess we're still in economic crisis? :rolleyes:

Ours is really big too...big congregation and the activities that they offer are always a great time. They even have groups where you can study scripture as such for each age group (10-90), or maybe older, but I'm doubtin it! What about everyone else?

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 21:56
Last Sunday there was 8 cars in front of the big catholic church in town, at the united church just outside of town there was one car which belongs to the minister. All of the community activities are presented to the local area with the involvement of either or both churches, and if you ask anyone why they did not attend church on the weekend they will say that they did make it to bingo on Tuesday or to the Friday night community supper or whatever other activity went on...
As religious institutions both are not doing so well but as a bond for the community and the people within the area they are forefront.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Ours is doing okay. Not growing, not shrinking. It is a pretty small church, about 100 at service. We have a lot of elderly membership. Trying to get younger families to be interested. Most of them want the big churches with a lot of programs.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Ours is doing okay. Not growing, not shrinking. It is a pretty small church, about 100 at service. We have a lot of elderly membership. Trying to get younger families to be interested. Most of them want the big churches with a lot of programs.

that's life my former church down in my hometown. They are an old congregation and they are set in their ways. It's too bad too, because they don't really welcome new ideas, or young people too much either, as I have found out directly from the pastor

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Last Sunday there was 8 cars in front of the big catholic church in town, at the united church just outside of town there was one car which belongs to the minister. All of the community activities are presented to the local area with the involvement of either or both churches, and if you ask anyone why they did not attend church on the weekend they will say that they did make it to bingo on Tuesday or to the Friday night community supper or whatever other activity went on...
As religious institutions both are not doing so well but as a bond for the community and the people within the area they are forefront.

I am very sorry to hear that indeed.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
My local church gets around 1000 people in 4 services on a Sunday - that around 50% of its parish population. I dont go anymore - not for a long time , it was always a very well attended church. Since my daughter is getting to the right age - it may be time to venture back.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
My local church gets around 1000 people in 4 services on a Sunday - that around 50% of its parish population. I dont go anymore - not for a long time , it was always a very well attended church. Since my daughter is getting to the right age - it may be time to venture back.

hard to keep your faith paul? :p

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 00:56

Yep, make sure the church starts the brainwashing young. :p

That reminds me, I remember a church here that offered free King Size Candy Bars to anyone who rode their bus to church on a Sunday. I always wondered how the bribery system panned out as the children got older. :rolleyes:

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time

That reminds me, I remember a church here that offered free King Size Candy Bars to anyone who rode their bus to church on a Sunday. I always wondered how the bribery system panned out as the children got older. :rolleyes:

When I was a child maybe about 12 or 13, I lived in a trailer park somewhare in north Houston. We were poor, and my mom and step-father didn't attend church. the bus came around every Sunday, and we got candy during sunday school class when we answered questions, and as we left the bus on the return trip. They also gave incentives for memorizing scripture like a free t-shirt or something like that. Now, I have been a Christian since I was a small child, but I look back on that experience as a positive one. It was a fantastic way to encourage kids to go to church especially if their parents weren't inclined to go, but didn't mind their children going. Plus it brought a little brightness into the kids lives, and maybe a little anticipation of something good in an otherwise mundane existence. Longterm, for those who don't have families who go to church, I have no idea what the effect is. But even for the short term it is a good thing, IMHO.

Jacob Mathai

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:56
What's in like in everyone else's church? Mine is doing OK, but the finances are down because people are not giving as much money to support. I guess we're still in economic crisis? :rolleyes:

Ours is really big too...big congregation and the activities that they offer are always a great time. They even have groups where you can study scripture as such for each age group (10-90), or maybe older, but I'm doubtin it! What about everyone else?

Where is your church? Country & State

Our church in the USA (Virginia) is doing good.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Where is your church? Country & State

Our church in the USA (Virginia) is doing good.

ours is in iowa city, ia. according to some people in town this area is very secular instead of sacred. as in, a very educated and rich area (lots o doctors).

we have our pockets of bad areas, but most of the other people make a living off the hospital and the school. there will be lots of people moving out of this area in the upcomming years do to the continued downsizing of the bloated hospital and school staff. real estate in this area is outrageous too, rents and sales both.

you live in a small area? rural areas are a lot better as far a conserving time is concerned. los angeles and cities like that are already at the point where business may only last 2 weeks until they fold up again. hopefully we don't get any faster than this. :/

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time

As a moderator - you should know that comment on this thread has no real place.

Vassago

Local time
As a moderator - you should know that comment on this thread has no real place.

How do you figure? I think it's staying on topic of how the churches in my city are doing. They are trying to drive more people in by offering them bribes. Church attendance has definitely decreased over the years, even though we are still very much a Baptist city.

Also, if you feel a post of mine or anyone else's shouldn't be posted, please use the report button instead of publicly making the comment, driving the thread even more "off topic." ;)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
How do you figure? I think it's staying on topic of how the churches in my city are doing. They are trying to drive more people in by offering them bribes. Church attendance has definitely decreased over the years, even though we are still very much a Baptist city.
I've often heard that Baptists are on the extreme side of religion. as in, pushing people and influencing people more than others do. is that accurate?

Also, if you feel a post of mine or anyone else's shouldn't be posted, please use the report button instead of publicly making the comment, driving the thread even more "off topic." ;)
now THAT'S a moderator's attitude! more neutral than the current president is on neutrality. LOL :rolleyes:

Vassago

Local time
I've often heard that Baptists are on the extreme side of religion. as in, pushing people and influencing people more than others do. is that accurate?

now THAT'S a moderator's attitude! more neutral than the current president is on neutrality. LOL :rolleyes:

Oh, extreme side is an understatement. In my city, there are so many actions done "in the name of Christianity" that are so extreme, it makes me wonder if the people committing the acts understand the definition of being a Christian. It's hard to say you are taking a pipe bomb into a mosque full of people during service in the name of Christianity. It makes you no better than the 3rd world religious extremists, but it happened here. And the "Christians" came out praising them for trying to take out "potential terrorists." When are people going to understand that far majority of Muslims here have Western values not instilled in Muslims in the desert. It's the same with Christians too. The violent extremists are a very small minority, and that goes for all religions in this country. Unfortunately, there seem to be plenty in my city. :rolleyes:

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
well vassago,

the united states government has done one hell of a job brainwashing the country's citizens into believing that all people of middle eastern descent should be looked at terrorists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom