What have I gotten myself into? (1 Viewer)

Stella500

Local time
Today, 09:27
Hello,
I hope you accept US citizens here. Would it help to let you know that my husband is Canadian?

I started using Access in the 90s. Here and there I made a few simple databases, and used a little VBA, but didn't really understand it.

Last year I took a job at a small business. Their inventory management application was a nightmare - ancient and not suited to their needs. I offered to make a new one using Access, and I did. I'm pretty solid with the basic concepts - relational data modeling, etc. However, I sort of learned VBA as I went along. I may have created a monster :eek:

The database is mostly working. There are only 3 or 4 of us who use it. I split it so that each user has his/her own interface which links to the tables/queries on the network drive.

I'm hoping folks here will kindly help me with a few things that still confound me - record sets, DOA, the imminent discontinuation of VBA. Of course, I am willing to help where I can also.

Cheers!
Stella

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 16:27
We'll be glad to help with anything you need including recordsets, DAO or ADO, neither of which are dead on arrival (DOA) and you may be pleased to know that VBA isn't about to be discontinued

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:27
Welcome Stella!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:27
Hi Stella. Welcome to AWF!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
VBA isn't about to be discontinued

Well, I'm not sure. if you look at all of the Microsoft help files, there is no longer a reference to VBA it just says VB....

Sent from Newbury UK

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Well, I'm not sure. if you look at all of the Microsoft help files, there is no longer a reference to VBA it just says VB

In many cases VB and VBA are of course interchangeable.
Code is of course written in the VBE (visual basic enviroment)
But there are numerous help files that clearly specify VBA such as https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/overview/language-reference

Reports of the imminent demise of VBA have been around for most of the 20+ years of its life. However that doesn't make those reports true. For example, see these discussions
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_other-msoffice_custom-msoversion_other/will-office-2019-still-have-vba/bd437e03-00e4-4086-958a-fee61eadb901
https://www.quora.com/Why-has-Microsoft-stopped-supporting-VBA-And-what-language-will-take-its-place

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:27
Would it help to let you know that my husband is Canadian?

We won't hold that against you. As to USA citizens, welcome from south Louisiana, which was still considered in the USA last I checked. (I still pay USA taxes, so it had BETTER be part of the USA!!!)

Don't know where you got that "imminent demise of VBA" but we hear that a lot and it never happens. Microsoft would LOVE to be able to replace Access except that every time they have tried, they have fallen flat on their face. It is too popular and works too well to be abandoned.

As to things that are "mostly working" ... pfui! Every program you ever met is in that category. Have you seen how often Windows or Office patches are issued? How often do even the GAME makers release patches? (Answer: As long as they can keep selling, they will keep patching.)

However, Stella, most of us have felt at one time or the other, "Holy guacamole, what did I just volunteer to do?" (Or "What did my boss just 'volunteer' for me to do?") You'll get over it, trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom