Where is everybody..... (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 01:59
Colin, the term is "boorish" meaning someone who bores you to tears. But "bore" is the verb, "boor" is the old English noun. Should an American have to tell you an old English word? Geez....

In the UK we live in the 21st century, unlike the USA which apparently still use and speak old English words. It's no wonder Americans come here to hear and learn how to speak properly. "Geez"......(whatever that is)

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 20:59
In the UK we live in the 21st century, unlike the USA which apparently still use and speak old English words. It's no wonder Americans come here to hear and learn how to speak properly. "Geez"......(whatever that is)

Col

Yet, you still put the unnecessary "u" in words that end in "or." :D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:59
Col:

Actually, I rarely use either form of the word, I was just elucidating.

More often than not, I would use disparaging Yiddish terms such as schmuck or schnorrer. Or one of my favorite insults: Es ist besser du soltzt diener Kopf in Drerd schtecken vi a tsibbik. Rough translation: You should stick your head in the ground and grow like an onion; for you it would be an improvement...

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Yet, you still put the unnecessary "u" in words that end in "or." :D

Oh here we go yet again.

We've done this tit-for-tat pointless bickering on and off for the last 16 years.

I just can't be bothered anymore.

Cheers

Col

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Pedants corner. I have just checked in my Concise Oxford Dictionary (often regarded as being authoritive in UK usage. Boor is defined as a clumsy or ill-bred person. Bore among its many other meanings is defined as a tiresome or tedious person.

So now we know the correct terms let's not use them to insult fellow members who I am sure are never clumsy or tedious regardless of nationality

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom