Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Theory and practice of database design

Old 05-07-2015, 02:00 AM   #1
bamerand
Newly Registered User

bamerand is on a distinguished road
Subject: Combo-box with values per department

Dear all,

I need assistance in providing guidance and assistance in the following database (I am a newbie with VBA and queries). I have attached the <Personnel.zip> and here is a description of the purpose of the DB and what I cannot accomplish and called for your expertise.

The DB is made of 2 tables, those are <Personnel> and <Trainings>, 2 forms, those are <Personnel List> and <Personnel Details>. The <Personnel Details> form consists of two tabs, one is called <General Information>, which contains overall information about employees. The second tab, with which I am having difficulties, is called <Training information>.

I need to have the <Training information> tab, which is sub-formed with <Trainings> table, to be in continuous combo-box, i.e. for each created employee (the sample contains 4 employees) I need to have the field <Training title> in the combo-box field by department field. Like, if value <HR> is selected in the <Department> field, then the combo-box should list the values that are <Internal Auditor Course> and <Lead Auditor Course>, or if selected value <Maintenance> in <Department> field, then the combo-box should list values that include <Basics in instrumentation>, or if selected value <Construction> in <Department> field, then combo-box should list values that include <Intensive English>. What I was able to accomplish is the <Trainings> table is sub-formed to <Training information> tab and I can physically type the values for each of the trainings attended by all employees (over 2,000 in total).

The second issue I have is I need to make inactive cells <Issued date> and <Valid date> if the <Permanent> field is checked-in. Alternately, if the <Permanent> field is checked-out, then the cells <Issued date> and <Valid date> should become active.

I look forward to receiving any support, recommendations, if you have code / DB that has similarities, please post along.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Personnel.zip (95.5 KB, 51 views)

bamerand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:43 AM   #2
BlueIshDan

BlueIshDan is on a distinguished road
Re: Subject: Combo-box with values per department

Honestly, I feel like you're dropping a spec on this forum.

Show us, in detail, where you currently stand with coding and design issues.

Also, give this book a read: Don't Make Me Think

Reading this "spec" was like getting slapped awake at 3AM and told to solve the rubix cube.

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blue's Age Poll:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Animated Sorting:

Mining File Directories:
GetSubFolders:

GetFileLines:

FindSimilarValues:

Move (Avoid moving objects game):
BlueIshDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
GinaWhipp
AWF VIP

GinaWhipp has a spectacular aura about GinaWhipp has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the Forum!

For dependent Combo Boxes I suggest you read up on cascading Combo Boxes. You can start here...
http://www.blueclaw-db.com/comboboxl...pdown_list.htm

Your second problem is you are missing a table...

Code:

tblPersonnelTraining
ptPersonnelID
ptTrainingID
This is a Many-to-Many table.

As for making fields active/inactive... does not work so well on a continuous Form.

Side note, in Excel they are called Cells in Access on Forms they called Controls and in Tables fields. Tables, even Datasheet View, does not format like Excel.

GinaWhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
Thales750
Formerly Jsanders

Thales750 is on a distinguished road

Hey Gina, don't those Blue Claw folks have some information on CDO as well? LOL
Old 06-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
GinaWhipp
AWF VIP

GinaWhipp has a spectacular aura about GinaWhipp has a spectacular aura about

Look at the date.... it's old news.

GinaWhipp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: